Josh Anderson Signed to a 7 year 38.5 million$ Contract!

Habsfan

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

WOW!! 😮😮😮 I sure wasn't expecting that from Mr. "Handles Nickles Like Manhole Covers" Bergevin.

This is a huge risk on a guy coming off a disastrous season. I don't understand why there wasn't any sort of haircut following from the combination of flat cap and terrible season. It's as if the Habs felt they had no leverage.

What all of this says to me is that the Habs' pro scouting staff absolutely loves this guy: he must be someone they've wanted for a long time. And now that they have him they're like, "damn the torpedoes, you're our guy!"

They'd better be right.

MB likes overpaying the wrong guy. Drouin, Alzner, now Anderson, when every else is being cautious with the flat cap.  This is one of this huge risk, moderate reward contracts.  Gross overpay in the current environment.  Radio guys in Calgary are skewering MB.

i guess we’ll have a better idea tomorrow how much UFA’s are getting and than comparing what we paid an RFA.

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Setting the bar for the Gallagher extension ?

Gallagher's next AAV probably starts with a 6, maybe even a 7. Proven scorer, team engine, consistent player... and took a huge discount last time. 

Just now, Trizzak said:

Gallagher's next AAV probably starts with a 6, maybe even a 7. Proven scorer, team engine, consistent player... and took a huge discount last time. 

If Anderson is $5.5, Gallagher is at least $7.5 and he’ll probably want 8 years.

I read from Arpon Basu of the Athletic that apparently the final two years of the contract, his salary is much lower, meaning that if he does slow down alot in teh final years, he'll be easier to trade!

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

Drouin makes 6 mill. 

Enough said 

Haha great point.

while 5.5 aav looks high at first.

if he ends up a real top 6 forward for many years this will look like a good value.

Also, could blow up but I think he will be worth it.

I have seen him drag his teammates into games single handed, plays Big like Gallagher but Is actually big, and pretty mobile to boot.

Gally, Armia and Anderson are gonna wear défenses down.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That isn't going to happen. No way he gets 8 years. Love the guy but in 8 years he will be 36. 

Agreed. Max I would go with Gallagher is 5 years...maybe 6 years. I love the guy, but but 8 years would be way too long!

2 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I read from Arpon Basu of the Athletic that apparently the final two years of the contract, his salary is much lower, meaning that if he does slow down alot in teh final years, he'll be easier to trade!

Noticed that too and the big dollars come on later (years 3,4,5 I believe) when cap will be rising again, hopefully/probably.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That isn't going to happen. No way he gets 8 years. Love the guy but in 8 years he will be 36. 

Yeah, I think Gallagher might be 5x$7.5M or something.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

Drouin makes 6 mill. 

Enough said 

Sorry If i'm being anal, but doesn't Drouin make 5.5$ per year?

I am a little suprised at 7 years, the dollar amount looks about right. 1 thing I will say is we are going to have a hell of team next year. Bergy has finally done some of the things we have talked about for years. I am impressed for a change.

GHG

• Like 1

Unlikely there will be any big free agent signings by the Habs now which is likely a good thing. Most teams overpay on free agent day (ie Alzner, ouch),  the Anderson signing is a risk but one I am comfortable with assuming his shoulder is fine. He was trending toward a high quality power forward before the injury and we have him locked up for his prime years. Hope it work out. 

Agreed! Imagine Anderson with some quality passers (Drouin and Suzuki). He might light it up (35+ goals!)

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

Bergy has finally done some of the things we have talked about for years. I am impressed for a change.

Agreed! Imagine Anderson with some quality passers (Drouin and Suzuki). He might light it up (35+ goals!)

Looking at other RWs in the $5-5.5M AAV last season this deal is not unreasonable if he does at least what is expected ... a deal if he fulfills what is hoped

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t he sign that after they won a cup and his playoff numbers being factored in?

They did.  I was trying to give a bit of context - even with the playoff numbers, he had 19-31-50 in 99 games.  That statline is comparable to Anderson's healthy season so there is precedent for this type of deal after not a lot of success.

58 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

The breakdown of the salary and NTC is in our article on the main page: https://www.habsworld.net/2020/10/habs-sign-josh-anderson-to-a-seven-year-deal/

57 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Agreed. Max I would go with Gallagher is 5 years...maybe 6 years. I love the guy, but but 8 years would be way too long!

In Bergevin's public comments, he said he knew 4 or 5 years wouldn't be enough so it looks like 6 years at a minimum.

55 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Sorry If i'm being anal, but doesn't Drouin make 5.5$ per year?

Yes, his cap hit is $5.5M.

I don’t love the deal in general as of yet but it certainly is amusing to see the same people who wanted MB to overpay by millions with offer sheets, now complain that we’ve overpaid a player we targeted in order to ensure they will stay with the organization. 

50 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No. In 7 years Anderson will be just leaving his prime, in 8 years Gallagher will be well past it.  I am thinking 5 years for Gallagher. 

With a seven-year contract, Gallagher would be 35 in the final season, pretty old for a smallish forward that plays aggressively. Five years would indeed be more reasonable.

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t love the deal in general as of yet but it certainly is amusing to see the same people who wanted MB to overpay by millions with offer sheets, now complain that we’ve overpaid a player we targeted in order to ensure they will stay with the organization. 

True, Although I don't think that Bergevin overpaid by alot. Maybe 500K per year... To get a player that has the size, speed, grit and skill that Anderson has, I think is well worth it!

36 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Or 

Angry Hab fan: Bergevin is stupid for not spending available cap space

Bergevin: Spends cap space on player we need

Angry Hab fan: No, not like that 

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one wondering if this might mean 0 years for Gally?    Anderson doesnt have to improve much to have similar stats as Gally and according to what most are saying what Gally will want will mean that Anderson will cost about 2 mil less/yr.

Not a fan of the term, but cap hit looks good to me, 5.5 for a player who projects to be a top 6 RW is fine, it spreads the money around. Most teams that are in team building purgatory and at the cap ceiling at the same time, with little flexibility to address team needs, have players in the top 6 making huge AAVs.

I could see him being a value issue by year 7, but as far as fitting a top 6 player into your cap situation, 5.5 seems like a very workable number with the current cap limit.