Bergevin has done his job.... It's up to the coaching staff and players now

Habsfan89

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Suzuki and Kotkaniemi don't need to be scores. I think they need to be more Playmakers.  

If they are to become elite playmakers, rather than goal scorers, then they need to be such good playmakers as to make at least a couple of the current roster (besides Gallagher) into 35+ goal scorers 

If the stars align and this plan works...in a few years we should have a potent yet balanced attack. I would expect multiple 30+ goal scorers a few years from now, from among Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Ylonen and Caufield, with kids like Kotkaniemi and Suzuki making the plays.

But we are not there yet.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If you're using CapFriendly's numbers, that's a 12/7/2 roster.  I have a hard time thinking they're only carrying 12 forwards so if Evans is added to that group, they go back over.  Weal could be waived and demoted to bring them back under but that brings them back to 12 which means someone else has to slide into those savings to get to having that spare forward.  A 13/7/2 roster is doable but it will take a fair bit of work.

This sure makes things tricky as we need to add a player to the roster. The only thing that I can think of is getting rid of Byron and promoting 2 Laval players.

With Byron's salary I don't think it will be easy to trade him. This might be Byron and a second for a 5th kind of deal.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This sure makes things tricky as we need to add a player to the roster. The only thing that I can think of is getting rid of Byron and promoting 2 Laval players.

With Byron's salary I don't think it will be easy to trade him. This might be Byron and a second for a 5th kind of deal.

You can save $375K by sending Byron to the minors and recalling an AHL player at minimum salary. It's not much, though.

In the process, you might lose Byron on waivers for nothing, but that would resolve the cap issue at least.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If they are to become elite playmakers, rather than goal scorers, then they need to be such good playmakers as to make at least a couple of the current roster (besides Gallagher) into 35+ goal scorers 

I’m hoping they will be both. God knows we need both.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You can save $375K by sending Byron to the minors and recalling an AHL player at minimum salary. It's not much, though.

In the process, you might lose Byron on waivers for nothing, but that would resolve the cap issue at least.

I can see a team like ottawa who needs to get to the floor trading for him.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can see a team like ottawa who needs to get to the floor trading for him.

Ottawa will probably prefer players whose salary is less than his cap hit.  Byron has $9.6M remaining in salary and $10.2M remaining in cap hit which isn't much of a difference.  I also suspect their preference will be short-term deals (like when they dealt for Gudbranson) that expire as their top youngsters need new deals.  A bottom-six player on an above-market contract isn't going to appeal to them.  I can't see the Senators having any interest in him as a result; there are way better options for them to pursue.

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Why do they have to be one or the other. 

i could see either being a 30g 40a guy. 

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If the stars align and this plan works...in a few years we should have a potent yet balanced attack. I would expect multiple 30+ goal scorers a few years from now, from among Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Ylonen and Caufield, with kids like Kotkaniemi and Suzuki making the plays.

But we are not there yet.

Thats the funny thing, the Habs might have already 5 if not 6, and possibly 7 30 g guys right now, but Gally is the only 1 that does so far tho.  However, Suzuki will likely be 1, Anderson could be, Drouin should be, Armia might be, and Toffoli has done it once before, and Tatar has scored 29 before.  If they dont get 30 they should be able to get 25, same with kk who might be able to get 30 too. 

The Habs have numerous players that can score in 25% of their games, and even Byron would be on that list, he's got 20+ g before.  Another interesting thing is that most of them are fairly equal with g to a too so they are capable of finishing and setting up plays.

Then next year there is Caufield, and he's no 30 g guy, he'll get should get 40 and hopefully close to 50 and possibly more. 

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thats the funny thing, the Habs might have already 5 if not 6, and possibly 7 30 g guys right now, but Gally is the only 1 that does so far tho.  However, Suzuki will likely be 1, Anderson could be, Drouin should be, Armia might be, and Toffoli has done it once before, and Tatar has scored 29 before.  If they dont get 30 they should be able to get 25, same with kk who might be able to get 30 too. 

The Habs have numerous players that can score in 25% of their games, and even Byron would be on that list, he's got 20+ g before.  Another interesting thing is that most of them are fairly equal with g to a too so they are capable of finishing and setting up plays.

Then next year there is Caufield, and he's no 30 g guy, he'll get should get 40 and hopefully close to 50 and possibly more. 

:youpi:I want to try what you are drinking, seems to make you see more goal scoring than the Habs of the 70s :youpi:

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:youpi:I want to try what you are drinking, seems to make you see more goal scoring than the Habs of the 70s :youpi:

I could see 6-7 players scoring 25-35 goals IF Suzuki and KK can be dominant centres and IF Anderson regains his form. We have 4 guys who have done it - Tatar, Gallagher, Taffoli, Anderson.  Question if Drouin, Suzuki and KK can join the club. All theee of the top line would need the ice time.

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What am I drinking?  Jeez, I'm clearly on high potency black market edibles, but thanks for noticing.  🤣

Seriously though, check out their stats.  Numerous of them have come close to 30, playing on lesser team, with less talented linemeates, and in worse roles.  ex:  3rd or 4th line vs 1st or 2nd line w Habs.  ex: Tatar got 29 with Wings, so he should be able to get 30. 

I'd put Domi on that list if they still had him. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I could see 6-7 players scoring 25-35 goals IF Suzuki and KK can be dominant centres and IF Anderson regains his form. We have 4 guys who have done it - Tatar, Gallagher, Taffoli, Anderson.  Question if Drouin, Suzuki and KK can join the club. All theee of the top line would need the ice time.

Tatar's best is 29 and Anderson's is 27.  I dont think the Habs absolutely need Suzuki or KK to be dominant centres either, because they are all fairly equal in assists, with the exception of Gally.  Out of the 7 Gally has the least amount of assists and points, plus he's the smallest, but wants the most money.  It's too bad because I love Gally, but he royally screwed himself with his last contract.  Gally has been underpaid and deserves a raise, but because of that he now wants too much and too long of a contract.  

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why do they have to be one or the other. 

i could see either being a 30g 40a guy. 

Obviously they can ... the context of the discussion was the need to add a couple of elite scorers ... not whether KK and Suzuki would be one or the other ... I suggested that if KK and NS don't become elite scorers then they will need to be such good playmakers as to make some of the current players score a ,lot more ... NEVER said that the youngsters couldn't be elite scorers, elite playmakers or both

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Armia was on a 23-goal pace this season, too, so with the right linemates 25+ is not inconceivable for him, either.

And I do expect that this will be very much a balanced icetime setup as we have no superstars.