New players means new lines - What would you do?

I’ve read a number of us are unhappy with Drouin - but the 2019-20 season began to fall apart AFTER Drouin was injured. Up to that point, Drouin started STRONG and the injury was terrible timing for him. 

and in the tournament, Drouin got 7 points in 10 games. 

he may not be the superstar we hoped for, but absolutely fine in the top 6 - and as a top 6 player, I don’t think his salary is out of line. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Drouin has had a good 10 game stretch  (playoffs)  and good 15 game start. 

Other than that he has been awful 

15 points in 19 games up to his injury. No points when he came back (too early?). 7 points in 10 post-season games, for 22 in 37 games total.

The three years prior he scored 53, 46 and 53 points. Not what he could be, but I don't think that's quite awful.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Ill put it another way, 

He isn;t anything close to his contract, he is a floater and invisible most nights .

The trade for Sergachev was terrible

Agreed however his numbers will improve significantly this year with the stronger squad.

I’m hoping he picks up a bit of Anderson and Toffoli’s game.

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

Other than that he has been awful 

18-19 he had 53pts, that is awful? + start of 19-20 season + led team in scoring in playoffs?

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

15 points in 19 games up to his injury. No points when he came back (too early?). 7 points in 10 post-season games, for 22 in 37 games total.

The three years prior he scored 53, 46 and 53 points. Not what he could be, but I don't think that's quite awful.

Dont let the facts get in the way of the narratives that drouin is the worst player who ever played in the nhl.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Armia - KK - Anderson

Drouin - Suzuki - Toffoli

Lehks - Evans - Weal/Poehling

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry 

Romanov - Edmundson

Eventually Romanov moves up and forces Chiarot and Kulak down 

43 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Toffoli  - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Danault - Gally 

Drouin - KK - Armia 

Lehks - Evans - Weal 

Chiarot - Weber

Edmundson - Petry

Romanov - Kulak

Lines are an OK option (I think there are a few) but I believe that Edmundson was brought in to mentor Romanov, not play with Petry ... Joel and Alex have each played both sides ... so TC will explore where the Habs want Romanov to develop for the long-term

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Ill put it another way, 

He isn;t anything close to his contract, he is a floater and invisible most nights .

The trade for Sergachev was terrible

The trade was horrible,  but I dont think he's that far off points wise, for his contract. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, 5.5 million is not that huge of a cap number.

Usually you are at about 1 million for every 10 points or so. 

But you still don’t agre that the trade was horrible?

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But you still don’t agre that the trade was horrible?

The trade looks bad right now. 

The only thing I've said recently on the trade is that I don't think Sergachev can be called an Elite defenceman, which I still stand by.  He's better than Drouin and the trade looks bad, but lets not get carried away that he's Elite and in the Norris conversation or anything like that. 

The problem with Drouin is just that you can't count on him to deliver at any given time.

Assuming Toffoli can play LW, and all goes well, then I think we will all gradually become less frustrated with Drouin, because he will no longer really a core player. Rather, he will be what he should be, i.e., a supplementary piece who can pitch in when the stars and planets all align just right and his precious self feels good.

The trade was terrible.

Let’s ignore the optics of the trade for a moment. Drouin-Suzuki showed some promise in the playoffs. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that Drouin could end up around 60pts or so playing with Suzuki for the better part of the season?

We know Drouin isn’t the driver of the offense on any given line, but it sure seems he can be a competent winger especially if he’s not expected to be “the guy”.

17 minutes ago, huzer said:

Let’s ignore the optics of the trade for a moment. Drouin-Suzuki showed some promise in the playoffs. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that Drouin could end up around 60pts or so playing with Suzuki for the better part of the season?

We know Drouin isn’t the driver of the offense on any given line, but it sure seems he can be a competent winger especially if he’s not expected to be “the guy”.

I don’t want him to be the guy.  I just want him to show up every night.  That’s not the same as producing every night. I hate and have gotten tired of skilled guys who mail it in most nights and that has been part of the problem with Drouin - injuries also played a role, as did being coached by a defence first coach like Julien who’d play weal and other grunts on the PP.  but at the end of the day, I expect a guy getting $5.5m to show that he cares in most of the games he plays. 

Yes, the fact that he was traded fir Sergechev makes it worse.  However, I actually wanted and posted Montreal to try and get him.  The price paid was too high for what he had done to date, had they traded two seconds for him, or even just a 2nd id still be pissed off, by the effort and compete level he shows - and this is coming like I said from someone who wanted many to try and get him, albeit for a lower price.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Maybe will have the TT-KK-CC line for July-Aug playoffs?:halm:

image.png

Like the thought

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DON said:

Maybe will have the TT-KK-CC line for July-Aug playoffs?:halm:

From the reports I’ve read, playoffs HAVE to end by June this seasons, since NBC is the rights holder for the Olympics.  Now if things continue as they are and there are no Olympics, than there is bigger issues for everyone to deal with.

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

From the reports I’ve read, playoffs HAVE to end by June this seasons, since NBC is the right shoulder for the Olympics.  Now if things continue as they are and there are no Olympics, than there is bigger issues for everyone to deal with.

July 23rd is the start of the Olympics so the finish date to the playoffs needs to be the 22nd (assuming the Olympics are held).  The draft and free agency could always be delayed into August when the Olympics end.

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

July 23rd is the start of the Olympics so the finish date to the playoffs needs to be the 22nd (assuming the Olympics are held).  The draft and free agency could always be delayed into August when the Olympics end.

Boy, this raises awkward questions, such as: what is the shortest acceptable NHL season? Given how long the playoffs are, we can't possibly be looking at a very long season given those constraints. (The other option is to shorten the playoffs, either via fewer teams or shorter series, but I doubt they'll countenance that).

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy, this raises awkward questions, such as: what is the shortest acceptable NHL season? Given how long the playoffs are, we can't possibly be looking at a very long season given those constraints. (The other option is to shorten the playoffs, either via fewer teams or shorter series, but I doubt they'll countenance that).