New players means new lines - What would you do?

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

question: despite salaries, based on recent history- don’t you think Toffoli has a higher points potential playing on the top 6 over Anderson? 

Toffoli        525gms  23g 47pts/82gms

Anderson  267gms  20g 35pts/82gms

Not sure which winger should play where.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

question: despite salaries, based on recent history- don’t you think Toffoli has a higher points potential playing on the top 6 over Anderson? 

I think Anderson has the higher ceiling, but Toffoli has the higher floor.

21 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I think Anderson has the higher ceiling, but Toffoli has the higher floor.

Agreed

Also, vaguely remembering a game when he was playing with Vancouver and seemed to energize his line... where I do not remember seeing Anderson playing.

From my imperfect/faltering memory, it seems to me that a Drouin-Suzuki-Toffoli is more likely to become as productive as the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher while also being as reliable defensiveley.

On the other hand, having Anderson with Drou-Zuki will depend on chemistry and will not be as reliable defensively.

:spamafote: but I am not sure :spamafote:

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Good thing this isn't an HWL line - Byron's hit rating would be awfully low which would limit the effectiveness of the H&G tactic...

Not after Jetsniper's sweet touch.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why is Byron's hit rating awfully low?  The guy does throw a lot of checks. 

The remark is regarding a sim league we used to run here.  In that, players that were really small always had low hit ratings.  Those that did more of the number crunching for scouting than I did could probably correct me here but I believe there was some sort of limiter on how high a hit rating could go for someone under 5'10 which would be Byron in this case.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why is Byron's hit rating awfully low?  The guy does throw a lot of checks. 

I was going to say that his hit rating in our league wasn't very high, but it would appear we didn't even have him in the game. I'm kind of bummed. The only HWL files I got transferred onto my new computer last year were some lines files. No EHM itself or PlayerScout, and the site we used to get them from seems to be gone. So even though I found an old sim file in my email, I wasn't going to be able to make heads or tails of Byron's ratings, though he wasn't in the file at all.

10 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Lol.  Like anyone would.  :D

Lots of people did more draft prep than I did.  I eyeballed PlayerScout and that was it (with a priority on high POT ratings that I could overdevelop and flip for higher value); I know some would have whole Excel spreadsheets with full projections. 

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Lots of people did more draft prep than I did.  I eyeballed PlayerScout and that was it (with a priority on high POT ratings that I could overdevelop and flip for higher value); I know some would have whole Excel spreadsheets with full projections. 

:huh:

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What could be gleaned from that other than it taking into account the whole height thing for hitting?

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Higher POT ratings must have different meaning than does here in BC.:B)

57 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

What could be gleaned from that other than it taking into account the whole height thing for hitting?

Not to entirely derail the thread but wasn't there a limiter on stickhandling as well?  (I got burned on that a few times...)  The ones that had the spreadsheets used them as a database so they could easily see what the final projections (OF-DF-OA) were without having to calculate them every time some GM with a penchant for making a ton of minor moves came calling.

As for the lines, a duo of Kotkaniemi and Anderson is intriguing but did the Habs just make him their then-highest paid forward (tied with Drouin) with an eye on him being on the third line?  I suspect 2 and 3 will be largely interchangeable but I expect he'll get a top-six spot to start.  Plus, having some size with Drouin and Suzuki wouldn't be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Not to entirely derail the thread but wasn't there a limiter on stickhandling as well?  (I got burned on that a few times...)  The ones that had the spreadsheets used them as a database so they could easily see what the final projections (OF-DF-OA) were without having to calculate them every time some GM with a penchant for making a ton of minor moves came calling.

As for the lines, a duo of Kotkaniemi and Anderson is intriguing but did the Habs just make him their then-highest paid forward (tied with Drouin) with an eye on him being on the third line?  I suspect 2 and 3 will be largely interchangeable but I expect he'll get a top-six spot to start.  Plus, having some size with Drouin and Suzuki wouldn't be a bad thing.

Feel free to split off our little reminiscence to the HWL forum, haha. If there was a limiter on stickhandling, I don't think I ever knew about it. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm realizing how useful that could have been. Once you figure out getting the import done, I'm just imagining how awesome that could have been to just have a one-stop-shop for all the final ratings, sortable at that! How easy scouting would have been with what I know now about Excel/Access!

Yeah, I think the contracts give a good idea of where Anderson and Toffoli are projected.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

heard that Habs are hoping Caufield and Suzuki become a forward duo.

If that is the case, playing with Toffoli may be a better plan. 

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They may not have an eye for him being on the third line, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where he winds up much of the time. 

Anderson will be in the top 6, he is a cornerstone piece moving forward.

The dude is huge, plays big, is no slouch speed-wise and has very good hands. He is a more natural scorer than BG11, and like him goes to the dirty areas. I have seen him live and is very impressive, deadly wrist/snap shot off the rush. 

In interviews he comes across very hungry to get back in form from a couple seasons ago and in one interview was asked about the nay sayers who think he is over paid and his response was along the lines:  “big money always generates talk, but Mtl is going to love me.” He also referenced that the only positive from missing so much time was the perspective he gained watching games, realizing how much more effective he can be with his time/space and efficiently get on he forecheck.

I’m super excited to have him in Mtl.

someone noted a line of Toff-Suzuki-Anderson and that was very intriguing.

only problem is that may push Drouin down the lineup where he disappears usually, I see Drouin as the limiting factor in forward group.  As previously mentioned, he needs good line mates to succeed and we kinda need him to.  
the other variable: Will Tuna-Danault-Gally be split up? I doubt it, so that’s why I see Drouin as the lynchpin to where Anderson and subsequently Toffoli play.
If one ends up on the third, I don’t see the production level matching. KK is good but I see him a whole level below Suzuki’s offensive upside, so whomever plays with 14 is going to have the better opportunity to produce imo.

Tatar - danault - gally (one of the best two way lines in the NHL at 5v5)

Drouin - suzuki - anderson (anderson is a better version of armia and this line was deadly in the playoffs)

Lehkonen - kotkaniemi - toffoli (with lehkonen this line can take tough minutes and opponents too)

Weal/Belzille - Evans - Armia

I assume Byron will be gone from the team for cap reasons.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tatar - danault - gally (one of the best two way lines in the NHL at 5v5)

Drouin - suzuki - anderson (anderson is a better version of armia and this line was deadly in the playoffs)

Lehkonen - kotkaniemi - toffoli (with lehkonen this line can take tough minutes and opponents too)

Weal/Belzille - Evans - Armia

I assume Byron will be gone from the team for cap reasons.

I like TT-PD-BG and JD-NS-JA but would flip TT to left wing and move Armia up with him and LL ... Armia and Lehkonen's career numbers are eerily similar but I think Armia has more upside and if nothing else takes the burden of being the "muscle" for the line off KK's shoulders ... I expect he will grow into that role but no need to make him do the heavy-lifting right away.

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

They may not have an eye for him being on the third line, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where he winds up much of the time. 

I don't think they expect Kotkaniemi to stay on the third line for the long term, either.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I like TT-PD-BG and JD-NS-JA but would flip TT to left wing and move Armia up with him and LL ... Armia and Lehkonen's career numbers are eerily similar but I think Armia has more upside and if nothing else takes the burden of being the "muscle" for the line off KK's shoulders ... I expect he will grow into that role but no need to make him do the heavy-lifting right away.

This is my thinking as well. Lehkonen-Evans-Weal could be a great checking line.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think they expect Kotkaniemi to stay on the third line for the long term, either.

This season I think they will effectively have three interchangeable top 9 lines for which first-second-third will be of importance only to the fans ... TOI will vary by games based on matchups and who is hot.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

This season I think they will effectively have three interchangeable top 9 lines for which first-second-third will be of importance only to the fans ... TOI will vary by games based on matchups and who is hot.

I think so, too.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, tomh009 said:

I’m not high on Anderson. Especially in comparison to Tyler Toffoli. 

Of course we’re going to “love him” because of his big body and hopefully a 20 goal season (which isn’t set in stone). I personally loved Alexei Emelin for the checks he threw on Lucic (and, in general).

I’m not going to say I will dislike Anderson once the season starts because I love our team, in general, and he will be scoring for the Habs. Where I change my perspective is that he is glorious option for the top 6.