New players means new lines - What would you do?

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

BOOOO DUCHARME

Assume he and crew thinks its hopeless and figures playing or not playing Caufield will not help...I dunno? Didnt bunch of folks here quite strongly say they shouldnt rush the prospects?

Maybe Bergevin nudged him and asked "So which PP unit are you playing Staal on vs the Leafs?"

12 hours ago, DON said:

Assume he and crew thinks its hopeless and figures playing or not playing Caufield will not help...I dunno? Didnt bunch of folks here quite strongly say they shouldnt rush the prospects?

Maybe Bergevin nudged him and asked "So which PP unit are you playing Staal on vs the Leafs?"

If they thought it was helpless that would seem to be more reason to play the kids

The fringe (to be kind) "media" (e.g. Hockey30) has suggested that Bergevin had to agree that Staal would play in order to get Eric to waive his NTC

I'm a bit surprised by Romanov being on the outside looking in (and not because I had him as Montreal's X-Factor in the first round in an article that will go up tomorrow that now I have to go and change).  I know he has struggled but I had Merrill sitting, at least to start. 

What's also intriguing is that Chiarot is staying on the right.  As a result, the Habs are entering the playoffs with a third pairing that has hardly played together and a second pairing that has never played together. 

I know Merrill is a bit better on the left but if the Weber pairing is the second one, I would have been inclined to try Romanov there.  It didn't work when it was the top pair but with a few less minutes, I think that may have been the better way to go.  Oh well, let's see what happens; it's not as if these are set in stone for the series by any stretch.

Seems they are going with old and proven instead of young and promising ... yeah, I know Romanov was more noticeable than Merrill except for the late season mistakes; but Merrill was playing top 4 minutes in Detroit wasn’t he?

if the plan is to clam up and hope to win one game on the road, they have all the clams in the lineup and no lobster 

Tomorrow will tell the tale ... was this a (desperate?) "see what happens" shuffle or was it "time to get ready" day?

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Oh well, let's see what happens; it's not as if these are set in stone for the series by any stretch.

Do they not practice with more than one combo of lines or d-partners? As a plan B or C, to use if (when) game going south or lose a game or two?

Once again, playing the Veterans who won't make rookie mistakes, even though they offer way less upside, and even though they can still be in the right positions, but get beaten as they don't have the athleticism they once did.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems they are going with old and proven instead of young and promising ... yeah, I know Romanov was more noticeable than Merrill except for the late season mistakes; but Merrill was playing top 4 minutes in Detroit wasn’t he?

if the plan is to clam up and hope to win one game on the road, they have all the clams in the lineup and no lobster 

Id hardly call too 4 on one of the worst tams in the league as proven for Merrill, or doing squats on a Buffalo t am that set a franchise records for consecutive losses, and did squat since coming here as proven for Stall either. We could bring Larry Robinson and Chris Chelios or if retirement as well and say are proven top pairing dmen.🙄

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Id hardly call too 4 on one of the worst tams in the league as proven for Merrill, or doing squats on a Buffalo t am that set a franchise records for consecutive losses, and did squat since coming here as proven for Stall either. We could bring Larry Robinson and Chris Chelios or if retirement as well and say are proven top pairing dmen.🙄

I am not defending the choice, just highlighting it

Like, I would have kept Mete instead of trading for Guffstafson (or whatever his name is) but after the trade I could just speculate

Weber coming in after missing so many games is not my favourite to go on the top 4. He was barely holding his spot there before he was placed on IR

maybe a bottom pair or Merril and Weber is what they are practicing for now 

NBC announcers for the Caps-Bruins game talking about how strange it is that Caufield is being scratched, and how Ducharme says he will probably get in at some point. Basically wondering if he is good enough later in the series, why isn't he good enough now?

This decision tells me Ducharme is not the answer long term. Give me a coach who takes some risks to earn the job, not one who makes the safe choices so that he doesn't lose it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

NBC announcers for the Caps-Bruins game talking about how strange it is that Caufield is being scratched, and how Ducharme says he will probably get in at some point. Basically wondering if he is good enough later in the series, why isn't he good enough now?

This decision tells me Ducharme is not the answer long term. Give me a coach who takes some risks to earn the job, not one who makes the safe choices so that he doesn't lose it.

Like I said, there isn’t one single industry professional that hasn’t called Ducharme out for being an idiot over this choice. 

Please prove us all wrong and win this series 

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Like I said, there isn’t one single industry professional that hasn’t called Ducharme out for being an idiot over this choice. 

Please prove us all wrong and win this series 

just checking old threads... let's say Dom knows best :) and we don't know sh!+ about how to get the most out of this roster

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

just checking old threads... let's say Dom knows best :) and we don't know sh!+ about how to get the most out of this roster

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think Caufield and KK's play has shown it was a mistake to sit them.

Just cause we have made it this far doesn't mean every decision was correct. 

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But he is not the idiot some thought he was

I posted a bit ago about this. 

It was a mistake to sit Caufield and KK but DD made a huge correction in game 5 against the leafs that has propelled us. 

Ducharme was smart enough to make corrections so I no longer consider him an idiot. He has earned a contract without question. 

Same with Bergevin. 

I do wonder if it was Richardson that changed the way the Dmen were used and if so, does he speak French?

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I do wonder if it was Richardson that changed the way the Dmen were used and if so, does he speak French?

Thats a good question and I jokingly wondered about that myself when Dom came down with Covid.  i.e. if the Habs win this year,  it would technically be with Richardson as the Coach.  Just imagine if he gets all the credit and the Habs end up hiring Richardson instead of Dom.  That would be so incredibly unfortunate for Dom.  

From an article back when he was hired in 2018:

On learning to speak French:

“I have a background, obviously, growing up in Ottawa with a little bit of French. But leaving there at 16, it’s been a while. So definitely something I plan on working on this summer and continuing through the season. I think it’s important.”

No clue if he's learned to speak French since.  

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thats a good question and I jokingly wondered about that myself when Dom came down with Covid.  i.e. if the Habs win this year,  it would technically be with Richardson as the Coach.  Just imagine if he gets all the credit and the Habs end up hiring Richardson instead of Dom.  That would be so incredibly unfortunate for Dom.  

From an article back when he was hired in 2018:

No clue if he's learned to speak French since.  

He spoke in French to media today and spoke of the provincial holiday. 
Well played by him regardless of intent.