Streit Experiment

Mark Napier

How do you think he is doing so far? I thought that he was pretty ineffective against Philly tonight. He got loads of power play time but couldn't seem to do much with it. He is generally a liability 5 on 5 with his defensive play. I'm starting to think that maybe Hainsey should get another look. Perhaps he hasn't adapted yet. I know this is a diffeent game than he's used to and he hasn't had a lot of time to learn it yet so perhaps I'm being a little impatient. I see some good things in him like his skating but his game is far from being impressive so far. Give him some more games but he has to be better or I say they should cut the experiment short and bench him in favour of Hainsey.

Until tonight I've felt this experiment has gone quite well. Tonight, on the other hand, I was prety disappointed with him, I thought he was perhaps our weakest link on the PP. He either had his shots blocked or missed the net, he also glaringly put the puck on a Philly PKers stick on 2 occasions. I'd like to see Zednik take his spot on Thursday, hell, give Dags a chance to show that he can score again and be effective despite incredibaly limited minutes.

Until tonight I think his contribution has been positive, maybe it'll just take him a while to adjust to the Philly/old NHL rough-stuff style of play.

He's still learning but rough one tonight!

Originally posted by Mark Napier

How do you think he is doing so far?  I thought that he was pretty ineffective against Philly tonight.  He got loads of power play time but couldn't seem to do much with it.  He is generally a liability 5 on 5 with his defensive play. I'm starting to think that maybe Hainsey should get another look.  Perhaps he hasn't adapted yet.  I know this is a diffeent game than he's used to and he hasn't had a lot of time to learn it yet so perhaps I'm being a little impatient.  I see some good things in him like his skating but his game is far from being impressive so far.  Give him some more games but he has to be better or I say they should cut the experiment short and bench him in favour of Hainsey.

I will be surprised if we try to bring Hainsey back unless we have some injuries. If we try to bring him up he will have to clear waivers which I don't think he will.

lets give him credit he did at least stand up to those giants... He must have been quite nervous....I bet ya he never played against a team with so many huge guys! yes he made goofs and lost pucks but he managed to get back and stick to the opponent

Nevertheless did u notice Dag... even though scoring a goal didnt play more than 2 1/2 minutes

Streit & Hainsey

I do agree we should give him another shot...but we risk losing him when he comes up in waivers plus we get to pay part of his bill ... THe best reason to keep Streit on!

i still don't understand this whole 1/2 price waivers on the way up thing. It doesn't help the players (since teams will not bring up players they would otherwise) and it doesn't help owners (puts them in danger of losing players).

Only answer I can think of is that the players wanted to make GM's think twice about sending down players...

Streit is a rookie and he sees time on the powerplay. I think some of us are forgetting that about Streit.

Joe Thornton had a terrible rookie season and look where he is today. Im not saying that Streit are the new Thornton but some americans don't understand how much the game differs from where he came from.

Swedish Elitserien are slightly better than the AHL and that's the best leauge in Europe. Mark Streit has learn hockey in Switzerland and remember that the hockey is better in a lot of countries...

The experiment is doing well. He learns something every shift.

We also have to remember that most guys who are used to being the #1 dman, as he was in switzerland, have a tough time adjusting to only playing 5-10 minutes per game.

I think we need to give him some time, and when/if we experience some injuries, and he gets more time, then we can really start to see what he's capable of.

I don't know if it's going that well really. You can't put Streit out in tight defensive situations, he's too much of a defensive liability. So what do you do, only play him on the powerplay? I don't think they can afford to have a defenceman take a spot in the line-up just to play on the powerplay and not 5 on 5. He's not cutting it as a complete defenceman yet. Hopefully the coaching staff can teach him to be better in the defensive aspect of the game.

To be completely honest, I'd have to say that I've already seen a lot of improvment in Streit's play. Had you posted about him in the pre-season, I probably would have jumped on the bandwagon and agreed with you. But we have to remember Streit is our 6th defensman and not our top one which is why he only plays around twelve minutes a game. You don't NEED to put him on in those "tight" defensive situations as much as someone like Markov. He's only -1 while someone like Rob Blake is -6, wow he must really suck then! As I said he's playing much better already (a 9th of the way through the season). I mean, he doesn't necesarilly stand out on the ice, but remember that's not ALWAYS a bad thing when you're a d-man lol.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Streit is a rookie and he sees time on the powerplay. I think some of us are forgetting that about Streit.

Joe Thornton had a terrible rookie season and look where he is today. Im not saying that Streit are the new Thornton but some americans don't understand how much the game differs from where he came from.

Swedish Elitserien are slightly better than the AHL and that's the best leauge in Europe. Mark Streit has learn hockey in Switzerland and remember that the hockey is better in a lot of countries...

Streit is an average player so lets not make him better than he is. Defensively.....Offfensively... dont know why we rate him so high. He has done nothing impressive from the games I have watched. The only thing Streit does for Montreal is that he does not hurt the team. Thats it.

Swedish Elitserien league better than AHL. DO have any proof of this, or is this just an opinion?

Originally posted by xXx..CK..xXx

You don't NEED to put him on in those "tight" defensive situations as much as someone like Markov.

If the its scoreless, 1-1 or 2-1 for most of the game then the WHOLE game is tight defensive situation. Do you sit Streit the whole game and play 5 D? They're gonna be awful tired. And as it happens every game the Habs have played so far have been these type games. One mistake could mean the difference between a win and a loss. I'm willing to give him more time but from what I've seen so far, he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. But as we know patience is a virtue.

Originally posted by Mark Napier
Originally posted by xXx..CK..xXx

You don't NEED to put him on in those "tight" defensive situations as much as someone like Markov.

If the its scoreless, 1-1 or 2-1 for most of the game then the WHOLE game is tight defensive situation. Do you sit Streit the whole game and play 5 D? They're gonna be awful tired. And as it happens every game the Habs have played so far have been these type games. One mistake could mean the difference between a win and a loss. I'm willing to give him more time but from what I've seen so far, he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. But as we know patience is a virtue.

Being a fair person I would give him a chance because he does know hockey. When he has the puck he can clear the zone which helps the team. He does not hurt Montreal as he has hockey skills and may develop into a good #3 #4 #5? D-Man. You just never know.... Maybe he will become as tough as Saku. He is a tough player that actually checks everyone. Man I have so much respect for Saku!!!

Who would have thunk it? Rivet playing well...Markov and Boullion playing exceptionally well....while Souray and Komi struggle a bit...As far as Steit...we've got to stay with him for the time being...Maximize the opportunity by rooming him with Boullion and playing him with Markov...He's got ability, but, like many other defensemen in the league is having difficulty adjusting...

Hopefully by immersing him with these overachievers (Markov and Boullion) he'll find the heart, courage and brain at the end of the yellow brick road..

I agree with you. He's just like a beginner, albeit an 'experienced' beginner but a beginner nevertheless.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I'm not willing to give up on him so soon. He does have some good offensive ability, there is no doubt. I believe he needs some more experience to adapt to the NHL.

I think Streit has been lousy. He brings nothing special in the defensive end and he's easily pushed off the puck. On offense and on the PP, he hasn't managed to impress me and last game he not only didn't do jack, but he made two brutal plays on our power-play which led to scoring opps. for the Flyers.

He's not even a big deal with much in the way of potential... A 27-28 year old that tore up the Swiss league? Whoop-de-doo. All I know is that he shouldn't be taking minutes away from Komisarek and that's pretty much the only thing I've disliked out of Julien this season.

I pretty much agree with your assessment gohabs. He's not been impressive at all and at 27 it's pretty hard to teach old dogs a new trick. He's not really old but by 27 he is probably set in his ways and has shown all the potential he ever will. The one safety plug that Julien has had going for him is that he has been using Dandeneault as a forward, who can come back to play defence in Streit's place in a lot of situations. Don't know how long he can keep doing this with the injured returning to the line up to take their places on the forward lines. I don't think I want to see Komi sit out in favour of Streit. A good stint down in Hamilton will help Streit work on his game. I was surprised they didn't do this at seasons start, risking losing Hainsey when Streit could of been sent down with no risk of losing him in the waiver. He needs to learn the game at a slower pace. Just throwing him into the fire in the NHL may be too much for him. Certainly looks that way.

Elitserien beeing better than the AHL...

Of course it's an opinion! But I think that the NHL is better than Elitserien, but that's an opinion as well.

But that's a common way to rank the leauges. Isn't everybody in here confident in that the AHL is better than the WHL?

Elitserien is the best hockey leauge in Europe. There's a lot of good finnish and czech hockeyplayers in Sweden but not vice versa.

I'd rank the Swiss league as around 5th in europe. They're behind: the Swedish League, the Russian League, the Finnish League, the Czech League, and the Slovakian League. In other words, what Streit did over-seas is a very poor indicator of how he projects in the NHL. It means nothing to me, personally.

The Slovakian leauge is actually rather weak. The German leauge could be at the same level as the Swizz and Karl Dykhuis is a key player there...

Nevertheless the Swizz leauge is very different from the NHL. Just look how long it took for Marcus Näslund to adapt! Mark Streit has played hockey in the world championships and did it well. Really well and that's why the Habs drafted him. But that doesn't guarantie NHL-succes.

Give Mark Streit the same chance as all rookies!

The Slovakian leauge is actually rather weak. The German leauge could be at the same level as the Swizz and Karl Dykhuis is a key player there...

Nevertheless the Swizz leauge is very different from the NHL. Just look how long it took for Marcus Näslund to adapt! Mark Streit has played hockey in the world championships and did it well. Really well and that's why the Habs drafted him. But that doesn't guarantie NHL-succes.  

Give Mark Streit the same chance as all rookies!

I'd give him all the chances in the world if he was invisible on the ice and was working to cater his game to the NHL level. Unfortunately, he's not... and caused another glaring mistake tonight (Is Chara not big enough to see?) that we can't have if we want to finish in the top-6 of our Conference. Get this bum a plane ticket back to Switzerland.

[Edited on 2005/10/28 by goHabs2005]

Planeticket back to Switzerland.

Im not very impresed by Streit either but I do realize that he should get the same chance as every rookies. You say you do but your last sentence shows otherwise.