Souray involved in home dispute

Psycing

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=14106...061&hubname=nhl

Looks like Souray is having some trouble with his wife... (I've heard rumors that they are seperated or getting a divorce...)

To quote the first couple paragraphs...

The Toronto Star reports that Montreal police were called to Sheldon Souray's apartment Sunday after receiving a 911 call for an altercation between the Canadiens defenceman and wife Angelica Bridges.

A source close to the Montreal police department told the Star that two officers arrived to investigate, and Bridges claimed she had been pushed against a stove and showed them marks on her arms, stomach and back.

[Edited on 27/10/05 by Macaskill]

Seems his wife filed for divorce last summer and was in town "to try to work things out" when the incident toke place. No charges have been brought against Sourray for the altercation. This should be the end of that from a legal perspective, but these troubles may affect Souray's play on the ice.

That's terrible news! I do hope that they can patch things up but whenever violence is involved in a marriage it's not promising. I'm surprised that the news about the divorce stayed out of the media spotlight in Montreal.

One thing that's unusual about this article is the Souray's wife claimed to show marks from being pushed against the stove on her back, arms and stomach. To generate marks on the stomach and back indicate multiple "pushes", not just a one-time hit.

But that probably can explain largely Souray's early season play.

Never underestimate a player's personal developments' impact on performance. Some can seperate personal life and professional performance (Theo, Clinton), but others have more difficulty (Modano and now Souray).

Hopefully now that its in the open, teammates can give the support he'll need to get his game back.

I expect a rejuvinated Souray after the Olympic Break. He'll have over two weeks to sort things out, get some closure, and be able to refocus his entire effort towards the playoff push.

:ghg:

Wasn't Sheldon Souray on TSN's Off The Record this week? If anyone saw it please post some comments about what was said.

well, don't let's jump to conclusions, trophy wives in a huff are not automatically to be trusted, so what happens next, well we'll have to wait and see what comes out of this...

Well most probably nothing will come out of this. The article states that she has returned to LA and that she did not "press charges". This should be the end of that as I would seriously doubt public procecutors would move ahead with any charges without a plaintiff in this case. It's pretty much case closed legally speaking with regards to this incident. This does not detract from the fact that, again from the article, the police were called to his house and his wife had marks on her. He may not be in criminal trouble, but this whole seperation could still very much affect his play and some fans, such as I, could lose respect for him as a person if the facts remain unchanged.

Quite frankly, I, as a sports fan, completely seperate what most athletes do in their own lives and on the playing surface.

I don't know Souray, or any pro athlete, well enough to appropriately say I have respect or no respect for him. All I see and hear is through the media, and that is no basis from which to draw any relevant conclusions of an individual.

I respect what Souray can bring to the team and to each game. That is as far as I am able to go.

It's kinda hard from my perspective to completely make abstraction of information such as this from my image of a person. This should not in any way affect perceptions of him as a player, but globaly my image of the person has dimissed. Whomever the person is, a friend or stranger, strong indications that he physically mishandled his wife, under whatever circumstances, makes me lose respect for him. That's all I'm saying.

[Edited on 2005/10/27 by Rooster]

I hear what you're saying, obviously if the guy hit his wife, then he's got some issues to deal with. And if she would have decided to press charges, I don't think anyone would be/should defend his position.

But I don't feel fans are in a position to give or take away respect from an athlete, the person. His actions, sure, but not who he is.

I can't say I respect Theo the person, because I don't know if well enough to make that judgement, but I respect what he's done for children with illnesses.

In the same sense, I can't say I respect Souray any less, because I have no level to start from. But I certainly disrespect what he did (if he did push her).

[Edited on 2005/10/27 by GoHabs2002]

Interesting-ish article about Souray. Thought some people that were worried about his play last night might wanna read it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=14122...225&hubname=nhl

Was it posted? if so sorry...I didn't see

[Edited on 2005/10/28 by xXx..CK..xXx]

Now that I've looked, I only see the article about the altercation between Souray and his wife...This artcile is not entirely the same though..

Whatever his situation, it's very likely that it's affecting him (all situations be they pleasant or not affect us).

Bottom line, it's up to us to respect his privacy and, since we are partially privy to what's going on, I believe it's up to us to be patient with him.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I know that this isn't directly connected to this string but,a comment on Souray's play on Spezza at the end of the last game.

I watched the replays several times and, yes, he didn't choose the best possible move to try and contain Spezza but we're talking about Jason Spezza here. We're not talking about some player with average playing skills. Spezza is in an elite class of players. (what was Mike Milbury thinking about when he traded the pick for Yashin - but that's another story).

To stop Spezza on a one-on-one is no simple feat. The way he danced around Souray is testament in itself of the skill of player he is. He's one of those guys who is able to read what a one-on-one defender will likely do and has the tools to outdo the defender's strategy.

It's something like watching Alex Kovalev dance around opposition players in their zone while keeping control of the puck. It's mesmerizing for us... guess what... it's mesmerizing for the guys who are trying to sort out what he's going to do while he's in motion.

Souray may have made a wrong move but how many defenders would have made the right move consistently in such a situation? Very few.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I tend to disagree with you Shortcat. We all know what you are supposed to do, especailly against a Jason Spezza and a Kovalev, you are suppose to keep your body square to the attackers. And although I do sympathise with Souray in that he made a mistake, I think his real mistake was staying on the ice for too long, which caused him to loose enough patience to make that mental mistake. The play was made and it was a mistake, but why that mistake happened is not out of lack of skill, or lack of practice, he was just tired and wanted to get rid of Spezza, I've been there before.

Who cares?. He's splits-ville with his old lady. That is his business. As for all this nonsense about what happened,it is all pure speculation and none of our business. I'm sure he isn't a wife-beater. He is not the first guy to go through a divorce,and he won't be the last. All I'm concerned with is his performance on the ice and that of the team. Let's kill the Rangers tonight!:hlogo: