How did u become a habs fan!?

Haboholic

I was born and raised in Mtl ... although have since moved several times ... but was fortunate enough to have been a fan since the mid 50's ... ahh the good old days. I still have my scrapbook of clippings from the Mtl Gazette and the Montreal Star ... thats what we did as kids back then. Most recently found the clippings of Boom Boom scoring his 50th ... and to see him last week on TV brought back so many memories.

Through good years and bad years I've always bled Bleu Blanc Rouge ... Go Habs Go ... they are truly an exciting team to watch this year.

Originally posted by pluto

Been a fan since 1973 or so when I was 7 years old and I read about a guy named Cournoyer who was a star for Les Habitants. I couldn't pronounce his name at all until I asked my 3rd grade French teacher how to pronounce it. I was and probably still am the only Canadiens fan that lives in Hawaii.

Welcome, pluto, from a fellow newbie! I'm glad to see that the already internationally-rich membership in this forum just became richer still. Good that at least somebody in Hawaii knows that ice isn't only for putting in a dacquiri!

Watching the '86 Cup Final against Calgary, I was an 8 year old minor hockey player who had no idea that grown men actually played hockey. How's that for a laugh.

The old man took up for the Habs and we watched them win the Cup. You can't go back after that.

Remember Skrudland scoring 8 seconds into overtime? Or how everyone was talking about this sensational rookie in the Mtl nets who talked to his goal posts?

Originally posted by ch_nl

I started my hockey career with a team called RA73. It stands for Rosersberg-Arlanda formed in 1973. Arlanda is Stockholms international airport by the way, and that why they are called the Wings nowadays...

Anyway, there was a great player in the senior team called Patric Kjellberg. And one day he left RA73 for AIK. The team that my family and I had cheered for since the begining of time. He did okay the first year and was later drafted by the Montreal Canadiens. That year AIK had Michael Nylander, Dick Tärnström, Niclas Hävelid, Börje Salming and Patric Kjellberg. A great team!

Coinsidence that I always used the Montreal team when I was playing "Blades of steel" on my Nintendo...

In 1992 Kjellberg went to North America and I became a full Montreal Canadiens fan.

Kjellberg returned to Sweden and AIK worst rival Djurgården. I couldn't stand it. My favourite player with the team a hated!

Funny thing is: Arlanda Wings is now the "farm" for Djurgården. And Djurgården have a program with the Montreal Canadiens. That's why Theodore played for them last season. And I have also played one year with Djurgården. My last season as an active. But thanks Kjellberg that you made me a habs-fan!

... nice! We must talk about it by your visit in Prague :)!

At 27th November we (HC Kladno) will play by the Slavia Prague in Sazka Arena. A good place for the discussion about the :hockey: and your former AIK heroes ...

patera01.JPG

prochazka01.JPG

or in our jersey here :) ...

patera02.jpg

Prochy.jpg

... and Ota Vejvoda of course! :(:)

PS. BTW, I am a MoDo fan. Due to Frankie Kaberle & both Horava's! ;)

bye

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by pluto

Been a fan since 1973 or so when I was 7 years old and I read about a guy named Cournoyer who was a star for Les Habitants. I couldn't pronounce his name at all until I asked my 3rd grade French teacher how to pronounce it. I was and probably still am the only Canadiens fan that lives in Hawaii.

Welcome, pluto, from a fellow newbie! I'm glad to see that the already internationally-rich membership in this forum just became richer still. Good that at least somebody in Hawaii knows that ice isn't only for putting in a dacquiri!

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here for almost a year, but with the strike, there was nothing useful to post!

Originally posted by zumpano21

Remember Skrudland scoring 8 seconds into overtime? Or how everyone was talking about this sensational rookie in the Mtl nets who talked to his goal posts?

I remember that quite well-that goal changed the momentum of the series. If Calgary had won that game, they probably would've won the cup that year.

My father was a passionate Habs fan and some of my favorite memories are sitting around HNIC with my Dad and brothers watching the Habs in the playoffs. My favorite cup was 1986 because when I was a kid they won all the time, but by 1986 some of the magic had begun to fade. This Cup restored my faith that the universe was unfolding as it should.:)

My son, now 2.5 already has his own Habs jersey and I plan on continuing the family tradition. Soon, we will start reading The Hockey Sweater together.

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by PMAC]

I agree that for some its in the genes. I'm named after The Rocket and named my son (huge Habs fan and leaf hater) Patrick in 1993.

I recall Saturday nights watching hnic (in the early 70s, near Kitchener, ON) with my fave uncle. He taught me the history of the Habs. Who couldn't love the Flying Frenchmen (except hnic of course).

The Flower, Dryden, Big Bird, lots of Stanley Cups. I've seen many a game (including dozens at the old Forum) many CHampionships and many great and legendary Habs.

I've had the luxury of having a beer with Maurice Richard (Pearson Int'l airport), having Jean Beliveau spend a game in our corporate lounge (in Ottawa) and chatting twice with Ken Dryden at his book signings. I shook the hand of countless Habs players over the years, thanking them for their service to hockey's greatest dynastic franchise.

Great posts guys... I go back to the mid 70s as a small boy watching habs every saturday nite in front of the tv with my little brother and my father in the background on the couch.....die hard fan ever since,we all went threw some hard times (1995-2000) but even watching our habs loose almost every nite there was never one moment I did not feel the pride and respect of our beloved Canadiens....I now have 3 sons which I named Maurice,Jean,Guy (just joking could not get that past the wife) But the two oldest boys are now habs fans and every saturday nite we sit down watching the greatest hockey team of all time!!!! so proud I am as a father now!!!!

I was born and raised in Toronto.(1967) Growing up watching hockey with my dad. Those great habs teams of the 70's, I was amazed by them. Lafleur with that hair streaking down the right wing putting a nice move on Salming and scoring a beautiful goal. Gainey, when he had hair, shutting down the top line of the opposing team and also netting some goals himself. Because of him the NHL made made an award for best defensive forward. (I just can't seem to remember the name of the trophy). I have just to many fond memories of those teams and because of them, the present and future of this great franchise I will always be a HABS FAN 4 LIFE!:ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by VaughanHabfan]

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by VaughanHabfan]

Originally posted by The-Habby2919

I seem to remember being born wearing a Habs jersey.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

I'm not sure 'cause I don't have your gift of natal memory so, I have to take my mommy's word.

I asked her and she told me that I came out, I was a bit wrinkly, kind of purply and squishy looking (I think I know why about that one) but, she also said that I was wearing a suit... my birth day suit. I said: "Birth day suit? What do you mean?" "

My beloved first child (that's me), that means you were naked." was her answer.

I kind of looked at her and blurted "Oh..." :eyes::eyes:

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by shortcat1]

Born and breed to be a loyal fan, as is my son. First heros were Doug Harvey, best d-man ever, and Plante. Living in Halifax I was a season ticket holder of Vees tickets and got to watch players develop for the team over a course of 15yrs, until they moved to Fredericton and we were dumped on with Edmonton and then Quebecs farms. I gave up my seats at that point and only went when the Baby Habs played. I remember the 1st time seeing Brasher skate for us, playing for Fredericton, many years with a developing Guy C, and of course the great teams of the seventies when we had Mondue, Drydan, Nilan etc,

Hockey in Halifax has never been the same.

Once a Habs fan alsways a Habs fan.

My old man told me I could either be a Habs fan or sleep out in the yard.

The first games I remember was the 76-77(75-76??) playoffs when they swept the leafs in four. The game that really solidified it for me was May 10th, 1979--the Cherry "too many men" call game 7 OT win over the Bruins. It was also the first time I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime. Then in the 80's I started playing goalie and it was all St.Patrick and the butterfly style, which I now blame for turning my knees to hamburger...yet I'm still playing.....

[Edited on 2005/10/29 by casseau]

I was 9 and my dad showed me the standings in the newspaper. I started to watch their games and check the standings every day. My dad would sometimes print pages of scoring leaders and the playoff race down. I was disappointed to see the Habs 14th in the Conference. The first player I ever knew was Benoit Brunet after seeing him score a goal and his name coming up on the screen. 2002 was the first time I eevr saw my Habs make the playoffs. Hopefully, I'll someday see a Cup.

We had an elementary school street hockey Tournament. We were devided into the original six teams, I ended up being on the Toronto Maple Leafs. I won gold with my team, being the goalie. Every since then I loved hockey. So I tried to cheer for the Toronto Maple leafs and for while it worked...until I saw the habs. Since around that time, I have never been a maple leaf fan.

Originally posted by simonus

I was born and spent my elementary years in montreal. I guess I was always a habs fan, but I didnt start to get serious about it until probably 1997-8 (although I definitely remember the '93 run). My hockey friends have been blues, bruins, blackhawks, and redwings fans, so I've always been a bit of the odd man out. That being said, I've made some habs converts in my days - always had HNIC parties when I could get centre ice and most people undersand pretty instinctively to hate the leafs (was relieved to find this out).

Around 2000 I finally came back to baseball after my Expos malaise started to wear off. Baseball (especially when hanging out with a bunch of collegiate RedSox nuts) is an incredibly stats based game, thats where its beauty becomes evident. Along with influence from my comp sci courses, I really started getting into the statistical side of hockey and found a whole new level of obsession. I really have come to be obsessed with finding new and meaningful metrics to quantify value in the game.

Okay, a little off-track, but thats my little hockey bio.

If you're into stats that much I have some numbers for your record books. Last weeks turnovers (37):

Dandenault (4), Rivet (4), Komisarek (3), Souray (3), Zednik (3) and Théodore (3).

:idea:

Originally posted by mathieug

If you're into stats that much I have some numbers for your record books. Last weeks turnovers (37):

Dandenault (4), Rivet (4), Komisarek (3), Souray (3), Zednik (3) and Théodore (3).

:idea:

that sound about right. Ugh.

As to Zed, at least, you can blame that on rust.... for the rest... ugh.

This is a great thread!!

I was 8 years old when my Grandmother was visiting us in Ontario from Val d'Or Quebec. She was a fan of hockey and loved Leaf / Habs games. It was something that just happened as I became a life long habs fan. Guy Lapointe was part of 'The Big Three' along with Serge Savard and Larry Robinson that made up a very good defense core.

Going to school with so many Leaf fans was interesting, but it all came down to one thing. HABS WIN STANLEY CUPS!!!!!

Every arguement about hockey reverted back to Montreal domination of the Leafs. Even though some of my favorite players Sittler, Tiger Williams, Turnbull all played for the enemy they had my respect as players.

Thank you Montreal fans for sharing your stories and for bringing back fond memories of past habs victories with many more to come.