Kovalev

les_glorieux

I don't remember the exact lines from 00-01, but he usually skated with two the following: Lemieux, Jagr, Straka, Robert Lang, Jan Hrdina.

Kovalev also played the point on the PP. The Pittsburgh PP was deadly that year, Kovalev must have gotten at least 30-40 of those points on the PP.

I liked in that segment with Ribeiro on RDS, going behind the lines with the Habs, that Kovalev was pumping weights in the workout room while other guys were playing cards and watching tv. This was no doubt free time and he was still down to business. Pretty inspirational guy to have on your team.

Journalists where pointing out lately that Kovalev always remains on the ice after the team retired to the dressing room after most practices.

He usualy goes on and on stick-handling the puck advitam eternam or just parked himself in a specific spot with a ton of puck at his feet and repeat a single shot over again while aiming at only one of the net's four corners for the whole scession.

As he said, he always like's improving his game and thats how he worked at trying to do so.

In Pitsburg I remember him play on the second line with Land and Straka and on the point during power play with Lemieux Yager and

? up front.

Originally posted by Lister110

I liked in that segment with Ribeiro on RDS, going behind the lines with the Habs, that Kovalev was pumping weights in the workout room while other guys were playing cards and watching tv. This was no doubt free time and he was still down to business. Pretty inspirational guy to have on your team.

Too bad Ribeiro didn't take that to heart and join him at the weight pile. Could use some motivation himself.

Nice of him to observe that though

On the whole, I'm happy with him. I don't expect him to do a super job every game and I do expect that he will have some off-nights and even some atrociously off-nights.

When everything has been put on the scales at the end of the three years, I expect that the Kovalev/Canadiens connection will have been a very positive one.

His presence isn't only as a playmaker or a goal scorer. His presence will be as a leader, a guide, an example, a helper, etc.

His presence will be good over the next three years.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by shortcat1

On the whole, I'm happy with him. I don't expect him to do a super job every game and I do expect that he will have some off-nights and even some atrociously off-nights.

When everything has been put on the scales at the end of the three years, I expect that the Kovalev/Canadiens connection will have been a very positive one.

His presence isn't only as a playmaker or a goal scorer. His presence will be as a leader, a guide, an example, a helper, etc.

His presence will be good over the next three years.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Well put shortcat1...

Plus Kovalev is the ONLY one who actualy stands in front of the net for deflections. Everyone else is skating by waiting for a pass. The little things and big things he does for the team really impresses me. Definitely not the floater that some people in the hockey world try to tag on him. A good signing by Bob Gainey!

Originally posted by PB

Journalists where pointing out lately that Kovalev always remains on the ice after the team retired to the dressing room after most practices.

He usualy goes on and on stick-handling the puck advitam eternam or just parked himself in a specific spot with a ton of puck at his feet and repeat a single shot over again while aiming at only one of the net's four corners for the whole scession.

As he said, he always like's improving his game and thats how he worked at trying to do so.

In Pitsburg I remember him play on the second line with Land and Straka and on the point during power play with Lemieux Yager and

? up front.

Jan Bulis could use this same shooting exercise. I love how he creates chances with his speed, but it doesn't translate into goals nearly often enough for my liking.

Most good third and fourth line players are mostly appreciate by their coaches for the '' consistency '' and their drive to do welll defensivelly,.. match after match during the whole season.

I presume regulard team practices and 82 matches season takes up alot of time in someone's life.

There's only one way such players could increase their skills level and its by putting extra time at it.

Kovalev is doing it in and around the regular season....and it shows.

I wish that other of our already talented players would also join his perfectionist approch...( he also said the same thing ).

Third and Fourth liner type players would propably need even spendind much additional summer time to ad any significant improvement to their game........nothing come's free as far as skill is conscerned and thats why a significant amount of pro NHL players are satisfyed at ''maintaining'' their initial skill level that got them the the job.

As Stephane Richer once said,..'' there is more to life than just hockey ''...true, notwithstandind his cocaine penchant.

Originally posted by option+

I don't remember the exact lines from 00-01, but he usually skated with two the following: Lemieux, Jagr, Straka, Robert Lang, Jan Hrdina.

Kovalev also played the point on the PP. The Pittsburgh PP was deadly that year, Kovalev must have gotten at least 30-40 of those points on the PP.

Lemieux only played 26 games, so it could'nt have been SuperMario setting him up all year.

Mario's stat line from that year: 43 GP, 35 G, 41 A, 76 PTS. Unbelievable. The guy misses 3 years, then comes back and tears up the league. If he would have stayed somewhat healthy over his career, he could have taken a run at Gretzky's records.

Originally posted by PB

As Stephane Richer once said,..'' there is more to life than just hockey ''...true, notwithstandind his cocaine penchant.

Are you serious??? Cocaine penchant?? Is this just a rumour or for real?

Originally posted by Fanny
Originally posted by PB

hehehe There are many many rumours about Richer...

I think we got Kovalev at just the right time, he loves the game and he is a great fit for Montreal, both the city and the team. I am delighted we resigned him!

He is the reason we are not losing close games but winning them. We are still not at the level where we blow teams away like the Sens can, but we have turned a corner and Kovalev is a big part of that.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Over at Metro leaf fan likes calling Kovy a floater. Typical dumb elf commentary.

Remember getting laughed at when I suggested Kovalev is a world-class talent when Gainey made the trade.

Course their idea of talent is Dorcy ######er so what do they know.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon
Originally posted by PB

hehehe There are many many rumours about Richer...

Come on man. Don't taunt me with potential ruomours, TELL me what they are. And do any of them have any basis, or are they just out there???

I dont remember if this aspect was part of his '' personel demons'' as revealed to the press by himself when he was trying to get back in NHL's shape for a come back,... but Richer was all over the place in a time when coke was all over the place....all I remember is a bartender friend of mine being a bit shocked at seing Richer goofing around in public as if he was sniffing an imaginary one foot ''line'' on the counter of the bar......girls giggling around him most likely knew what they had to do to get to the party line.

Anyway that's old stuff.

Come on man. Don't taunt me with potential ruomours, TELL me what they are. And do any of them have any basis, or are they just out there???

Well if rumours have basis in fact then they are not rumours but fact! There is nothing awful about Richer that I have heard, just that maybe he liked the vices of the night more than most, and that he swung, umm, 'differently' from the typical jock.

Wasn't between the sheets so what do I know? Anyway I don't care either way (Montrealers are open-minded!), but since you asked, the talk about Richer was definitely out there back then.

As much as I like and admire his talents, he sometimes over handles the puck in our own end. .:mad:

A game or so ago he had all day to clear the puck on a PK, but instead decided to try and beat a pointman one-on-one IN OUR OWN END. He lost the puck and we were in trouble for the next while. He did it again later in the same game.

Having huge talent is a rarity nowadays...as us habs fans now realize. It is fun to watch him in the offensive zone or coming down centre ice. And he really clicks with Koivu

Glad we have him:)

[Edited on 2005/11/4 by Habsterr]

I remember the one Habsterr,...but what can you say,.. except '' it come with the beast'',.. I suppose.

In the offensive zone thought, I never get impatient with his stickhandling as I trust his offensive instinc and his decisions as when to hold-on,...I just enjoy his hability to do so and never worry about my own projections.

Hockey is more beautifull with him...he remind me of a big jaguar in the Amazon.

Originally posted by PB

I remember the one Habsterr,...but what can you say,.. except '' it come with the beast'',.. I suppose.

In the offensive zone thought, I never get impatient with his stickhandling as I trust his offensive instinc and his decisions as when to hold-on,...I just enjoy his hability to do so and never worry about my own projections.

Hockey is more beautifull with him...he remind me of a big jaguar in the Amazon.

and a tiger on the ice... :king::king::king: