Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?

Habsfan89

What I would really like to see is the Habs claw their way into third place, so they don't have to face the Leafs in the opening round. Beating the Leafs would be wonderful, but I don't like those odds.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What I would really like to see is the Habs claw their way into third place, so they don't have to face the Leafs in the opening round. Beating the Leafs would be wonderful, but I don't like those odds.

That would be ideal ... but how much of the candle gets burned to do that?

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That would be ideal ... but how much of the candle gets burned to do that?

I guess it depends on whether catching EDM requires some sort of superhuman effort. It's a 7-point spread but we have three games in hand. Not easy, but IF the Habs can finally achieve some consistency, it's not beyond the realm of possibility...

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess it depends on whether catching EDM requires some sort of superhuman effort. It's a 7-point spread but we have three games in hand. Not easy, but IF the Habs can finally achieve some consistency, it's not beyond the realm of possibility...

Unless they very quickly pass Edmonton, and do so by enough to lock down third place it will interfere with any sort of of resting players to prepare for the playoffs ... which I think is more important than avoiding Toronto ... especially as the Jets are no pushovers either.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We also play Edmonton 4 more times. Win 3  out of those 4 against the Oilers and win 2 out of 3 on the games in-hand.. that’s a 10 point swing. Very possible 

44 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

We also play Edmonton 4 more times. Win 3  out of those 4 against the Oilers and win 2 out of 3 on the games in-hand.. that’s a 10 point swing. Very possible 

I would love to force leafs to play the oil. 

Mcdavid and Draissitl could destroy the leafs I hope. 

And the picture gets clearer for the Habs, firmly stuck in fourth position

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

And the picture gets clearer for the Habs, firmly stuck in fourth position

Unless .500 is optimistic ... and don't look now, but Vancouver is 8 points back with four games in hand ... Habs need to get their act together and earn that spot ... not hope nobody else wants it

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unless .500 is optimistic ... and don't look now, but Vancouver is 8 points back with four games in hand ... Habs need to get their act together and earn that spot ... not hope nobody else wants it

The Canucks have a ton of momentum, too, having beaten the Leafs twice. There is a faint hope of “miracle comeback” starting to form around them...I wouldn’t put money on it, but they’ve got the high-end core talent to be dangerous.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Canucks have a ton of momentum, too, having beaten the Leafs twice. There is a faint hope of “miracle comeback” starting to form around them...I wouldn’t put money on it, but they’ve got the high-end core talent to be dangerous.

Agreed. That seems like a tight team that understands what accountability means. I’d be much more worried about a miracle comeback from the Canucks, than a Calgary team that is as mismanaged and seems to have a more fragile core than ours. 

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed. That seems like a tight team that understands what accountability means. I’d be much more worried about a miracle comeback from the Canucks, than a Calgary team that is as mismanaged and seems to have a more fragile core than ours. 

At this point I find myself half-hoping the Canucks pull it off. Not only would it be a great story, but I’m feeling rather mad at this Habs team, which is shaping up to be yet another disappointment after such a promising summer and start to the season. The Canucks, meanwhile, have faced some ACTUAL adversity (as opposed to the Habs’ endless excuse-making) and appear to be doing the opposite of the Habs, i.e., rising to the occasion. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

At this point I find myself half-hoping the Canucks pull it off. Not only would it be a great story, but I’m feeling rather mad at this Habs team, which is shaping up to be yet another disappointment after such a promising summer and start to the season. The Canucks, meanwhile, have faced some ACTUAL adversity (as opposed to the Habs’ endless excuse-making) and appear to be doing the opposite of the Habs, i.e., rising to the occasion. 

The only reason this would be okay is a playoff miss would surely be the end of Bergevin 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs were the first team in Canada to have a Covid experience, shortly after a coaching change. Their starting goalie also happens to be injured. I’m fairly certain they have faced actual adversity, and much of the same adversity that Vancouver has faced. Sure, Vancouver’s team had it worse, in terms of the outbreak on their team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The Habs were the first team in Canada to have a Covid experience, shortly after a coaching change. Their starting goalie also happens to be injured. I’m fairly certain they have faced actual adversity, and much of the same adversity that Vancouver has faced. Sure, Vancouver’s team had it worse, in terms of the outbreak on their team.

Boo hoo, a couple of injuries. Welcome to wearing big boy pants. The coaching change was caused by the team's own suckage, meanwhile, so if that's adversity, it's self-inflicted. COVID is no joke, but only a couple of players had it. The rest basically got a mid-season breather. Sorry, I'm not buying that this group has faced an inordinate amount of adversity. Their crapulence is entirely on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Vancouver’a been without their best player for most of the season and he may be gone fir the rest of the year.  He’s better than anyone on our team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vancouver’a been without their best player for most of the season and he may be gone fir the rest of the year.  He’s better than anyone on our team. 

And thus, they will easily miss the playoffs and Habs wont.

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Fact is the team does not win without Gallagher in the lineup. Losing him was a blow.

14 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Fact is the team does not win without Gallagher in the lineup. Losing him was a blow.

Yes, he is a vital piece on-off the ice i think.

3 hours ago, DON said:

And thus, they will easily miss the playoffs and Habs wont.

Exactly.

It seems the opposing view is that Vancouver will somehow have this miracle run, and not only that, the Habs haven’t faced as much adversity as them so those who are angry at the Habs are wishing ill on the Canadiens so the other Canadian team with a “C” on their jersey can enjoy the opportunity at a cinderella run.

woosh.

Did I get that right? 

You can find me on this side of the fence when it comes to that argument ... :habslogo: <—🐳

Then again, I don’t reside in British Columbia.  

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

By the way, remember this post when the Canucks crap out and end 6th place in the division. Two wins and suddenly the narrative is changing from being the team that the Habs were lucky to face to a team who is “rising to the occasion” after two wins. Once their schedule catches up with them, which the Canucks organization from coach, to manager, to player have already cried ad nauseum about, they will feel the effects and begin to lose their fair share of games. The fact the Canucks have repeatedly complained about their schedule was conveniently left out of your storyline involving “excuse making” which was apparently exclusive to the Habs organization. 

As Don has kindly pointed out, the Canucks will not make the playoffs. It was a nice story, though.

Do we forget how bad the Canucks were BEFORE getting Covid and before that excuse was there.  This has been a bad team all year.

Nothing changed, they were dominated in both games by the Leafs. 

The only reason they won, is that the Leafs goalies shit the bed.  This says more about the Leafs weakness (achilles heel) than the Canucks strength.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

By the way, remember this post when the Canucks crap out and end 6th place in the division. Two wins and suddenly the narrative is changing from being the team that the Habs were lucky to face to a team who is “rising to the occasion” after two wins. Once their schedule catches up with them, which the Canucks organization from coach, to manager, to player have already cried ad nauseum about, they will feel the effects and begin to lose their fair share of games. The fact the Canucks have repeatedly complained about their schedule was conveniently left out of your storyline involving “excuse making” which was apparently exclusive to the Habs organization. 

As Don has kindly pointed out, the Canucks will not make the playoffs. It was a nice story, though.

I'd have an easier time responding to this if you'd actually read my post.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

we will know for sure after the Calgary games, but it looks more and more like fourth place is a lock

image.png

Bring on the stinking Leafs for 1st time since 1979!