Interesting or just "the way it is?"

ch_nl

During the 90's the Montreal Canadiens played in 8 of 10 playoffs. In 93 they won the cup.

But every team that beat them during this period had at least one player that one day would be Canadien himfelf...

1989-1990. Montreal lost to the Bruins in the second round. On the Bruins squad: Stephan Quintal and Andy Moog.

1990-1991. The B's took us out in the second round once again. This time they had Quintal and Moog just as the year before, but also Chris Nilan who would end his career in Montreal later on.

1991-1992. Boston again. In the second round. Again. And once again the same players plus one knocked the Habs out of the playoffs. New this season for the Bruins was Joe Juneau.

1992-1993. Habs won the cup.

1993-1994. Bad Bruins in the first round. Moog, Quintal and Nilan had left. Juneau was still there but guess who had his rookie season with the Bruins? Mariusz "Marre-great-pre-season" Czerkawski.

1994-1995. Missed the playoffs.

1995-1996. New York Rangers in the first round. Alexei Kovalev, Niklas Sundström and Darren Langdon.

1996-1997. New Jersey Devils in the first round. Doug Gillmour and Randy McKay said hello.

1997-1998. Buffalo Sabres won 4-0 in the second round. You remember Darryl Shannon? No? Donald Audette?

1998-1999. Missed the party.

[Edited on 2005/11/9 by ch_nl]

Interesting :) In the past years we've been beaten by Devils, Canes and the Ligthing..so...I'm waiting for Gainey to get us Brind A'mour, Brodeur, convince Stevens to make a comback in a Habs uniform....and of course we're also waiting for St. Louis and Lecavalier to join Blue Rouge et Blanc :D

When Carolina beat us in 2001-2002 they had Darren Langdon.

Tampa Bay who later won the cup in 2003-2004 still hasn't send anyone to Montreal. But they have Lecavalier don't they?...

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo

Interesting :) In the past years we've been beaten by Devils, Canes and the Ligthing..so...I'm waiting for Gainey to get us Brind A'mour, Brodeur, convince Stevens to make a comback in a Habs uniform....and of course we're also waiting for St. Louis and Lecavalier to join Blue Rouge et Blanc :D

When did we lose to New Jersey?

If I'm not mistaken, we lost to New Jersey in Round 2 1998 playoffs. (Series was 4-1 for New Jersey), our only win coming from Theodore's inaugural palyoff game in Game 4. That night he gave everyone a peek into what a great goalie he was going to be.

Oh well in 1998. He said in the 2000s we lost to the Devils, Canes and Lightning. Anyway, interesting fact but I'm not sure if it's such a rare thing. You can probably find it with several teams if you check the right decades.

So who from the 2003-04 Lightning will later become a habs ? Anyone want to make a prediction?

Originally posted by habscout

So who from the 2003-04 Lightning will later become a Habs ? Anyone want to make a prediction?

Would love to see Richards one day in a Habs uniform. I'll go back to dreaming now.

Well its nice that players are coming to Montreal who know how to win. Extremely important, and maybe a reason why Montreal doesn't panic, while down going into the third period, and are able to pull out this 1 goal wins

Well it's strange how this fact is true YET we only have 2-3 players on our team who have won a Stanley Cup in their career.

-Kovalev won with the Rangers.

-Dandenault won once or twice with Detroit.

-I believe Bégin won one with Calgary.

-Souray and Dagenais were probably in the minors when the Devils won in 1995 but Souray might have been playing a few games that season.

[Edited on 2005/11/9 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Well old is he? Isn't he in his 30s? So 16 years ago he'd be in his earliest years of his career. Probably in the minors though. So only Kovalev and Dandenault have won a cup in their careers.

BEgin and Dagenais are each 27 years old. So I don't think either of them was playing for Calgary in 89. I also don't think they were playing in the minors, and to take it once step further I don't think they were playing Jr B hockey