Habs sign Michael Frolik

revvvrob

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Precursor to a trade? Bringing in another winger instead of a center seems kinda useless.

Maybe he has a taker for Byron?

I don't foresee a trade for a centre unless he's planning to ship Danault out now. The other three are young, (mostly) very promising and inexpensive

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I was thinking he is making another move of some kind...because it doesn't make much sense unless he is moving another 4th line winger out.  Frolik's numbers are awful though...I hope it's not a straight swap-out for Byron.

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't foresee a trade for a centre unless he's planning to ship Danault out now. The other three are young, (mostly) very promising and inexpensive

I don’t see Danault being moved this early.  If the kids play him to the 3rd line, maybe at the deadline, in the right circumstances.

Weren’t they over the cap to the point of having to bury money or make a trade? For 750k, wouldn’t it be a 2-way that can easily be buried?

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I don’t see Danault being moved this early.  If the kids play him to the 3rd line, maybe at the deadline, in the right circumstances.

Weren’t they over the cap to the point of having to bury money or make a trade? For 750k, wouldn’t it be a 2-way that can easily be buried?

Doesn't need to be a 2 way for him to be waived to Laval.

A baffling move for sure. Not a bad one, inasmuch as he’s cheap and cost nothing to acquire. But at 32 he gives every indication of being a once-useful player whose game has gone off a cliff. I guess MB wants “veteran depth” and this is the best he could muster.

1 minute ago, huzer said:

Doesn't need to be a 2 way for him to be waived to Laval.

Yeah, sorry, forgot the rule that says it’s a fixed amount that can be buried by sending them to the minors, regardless of contract type.

Not sure why this deal is baffling. Frolik is a veteran depth guy that will be part of the taxi squad and enable one of the young forwards to get playing time in Laval. In case of a string of injuries, he *might* provide viable NHL depth. This is a cheap insurance deal and good for the development of our young players. Some times a depth move is just a depth move and not a pre-cursor to a bigger trade. 

• Upvote 2

I think MB’s main intention was to squash the Pacioretty rumours by signing another #67. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Neech said:

Apparently he'll be on the taxi squad and won't count against the cap.  Low risk signing, hopefully he won't have to suit up much.

If that's the case, I'll fully approve of this. I don't want to lose too many Laval players to the taxi squad.

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

Not sure why this deal is baffling. Frolik is a veteran depth guy that will be part of the taxi squad and enable one of the young forwards to get playing time in Laval. In case of a string of injuries, he *might* provide viable NHL depth. This is a cheap insurance deal and good for the development of our young players. Some times a depth move is just a depth move and not a pre-cursor to a bigger trade. 

I was unaware of the "taxi squad". Thanks for bringing it up. Just read the rules regarding it on capfriendly. Requires a minimum of 4 players, max of 6, one goalie is required. Waivers are still required for those that are eligible. 

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Apparently he'll be on the taxi squad and won't count against the cap.  Low risk signing, hopefully he won't have to suit up much.

that is what I thought too.

Get borderline NHLers like Frolik on a taxi squad and let the prospects play in the AHL when that starts

3 hours ago, huzer said:

I was unaware of the "taxi squad". Thanks for bringing it up. Just read the rules regarding it on capfriendly. Requires a minimum of 4 players, max of 6, one goalie is required. Waivers are still required for those that are eligible. 

It pains me to read that considering I had an article on the site on Sunday about the taxi squad rules and how the Habs can use it to their advantage on the cap.

By the way, the email invites went out for SK, let me know if yours didn't come through.

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It pains me to read that considering I had an article on the site on Sunday about the taxi squad rules and how the Habs can use it to their advantage on the cap.

By the way, the email invites went out for SK, let me know if yours didn't come through.

I did not receive one.

I'll admit, during this offseason, I've popped onto the forum to read once in a while, but haven't checked the main page at all.