An OT is not a loss!

Lexrst

Originally posted by Fanpuck33
Originally posted by Lexrst

if you want to get around the semantics fanpuck OT essentially means tie in todays nhl.

That's interesting, since there are no more ties in the NHL. That was the whole reason for shootouts, so there would be a clear winner and loser.

"The League will award two points to a team that wins in regulation, overtime or the shootout; one point to a team that loses in overtime or the shootout; and no points to a team that loses in regulation."

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/shootout072205.html

Hehe, I was wondering how long it was going to take before you dug into those rules... :D.

Originally posted by Tony
Originally posted by sakiqc

We didn't lost tonight I guess?

Sure..

[sarcasm]

OH YEAH 8 GAME UNDEFEATED STREAK

YEAH LETS PARTY YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

[/sarcasm]

I will sum up: to lose is to not get a win but to get a loss, but an OT loss is not as bad as a loss in regulation because we get a point, so it's a loss with a silver lining. A regulation loss has no lining whatsoever. Anyway now we have an eight (seven?) game points streak, hey! --that's pretty good.

Stupidity is always a little easier to stomach when it benefits you or your team, but that doesnt make it any less stupid.

A lousy point for a crappy loss that the :puke: leafs tied on a fluke goal doesnt make me happy. :mad:

Maybe we should start a world-wide petition to encourage the NHL to eliminate the moronic point for an OT loss

Originally posted by Lexrst

Some on this message board and in the media contiue to misunderstand how the NHL records a loss and an overtime tie. The habs did not lose to the Penguins last night. Crosby did not sink or kill the habs, Crosby got an extra point for his team - end of story. The Habs tied the game and received a point for it. The Penguins received an extra point by winning the shootout. They are still undefeated on the road and have only 3 losses on the season. Great. I'm happy with a point on the road anytime. Once the teams get into overtime they have each received a point for a tie game, and are simply playing for an extra point in overtime, No one will be recorded as a loss for this. Hope that set6s the record straight. Keep rocking Cradiac Kids - or should we call them the Road Warriors?

We lost.

But to tell you the truth I like the OTL point. For example, last night we lost 5-4 in OT and Carolina lost 9-0. Should we get just as much as Carolina did out of the game? No, we deserve more. However, the problem is that there's no difference between a 5-4 regulation loss to a 9-0 loss. Meh, you can't have everything.

But we did lose, even if it was a close game.

And for the "OT not OTL" argument, when you lose in a shootout it goes in the SL column: Shootout Loss.