Habs Sign Corey Perry

Commandant

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Won't lose him if he is on the roster as the 12/13th forward ... moving Weal or Byron (even Lehkonen) to the taxi squad saves $325K more in cap space than moving either Perry or Frolik ... trading/losing Weal ( :) ) or Byron ( :unsure: ) on waivers would be ideal from a cap perspective

Bergevin will not waive Lehkonen, who would almost certainly be claimed by another team.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Any team could have signed Perry for 750K for about two months.  No one did.  I'm not sure he would be claimed on waivers. 

Any team could have offered him a contract for $750K ... he wouldn't necessarily have signed.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Bergevin will not waive Lehkonen, who would almost certainly be claimed by another team.

Yeah ... you are correct ... his name was quickly added as an afterthought ... afterthoughts should be left where they were

I like the addition of Perry.

What I find interesting is that Perry played Junior with the London Knights and once he made the NHL he would often go back and train/practice with the Knights.  Well, Anderson was a Knight so they know each other and Perry has already taught Anderson a few tricks and he will continue to do so, plus other guys too. 

Another interesting thing about Perry is that for some strange reason it says he's from Peterborough.  However, he actually grew up near the Quebec border and apparently, there is a picture of a young Perry with the Cup.  Perry is wearing a Habs jersey in the pic because 1 of the players from 93 was from the same town Perry was living in at that time. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I like the addition of Perry.

What I find interesting is that Perry played Junior with the London Knights and once he made the NHL he would often go back and train/practice with the Knights.  Well, Anderson was a Knight so they know each other and Perry has already taught Anderson a few tricks and he will continue to do so, plus other guys too. 

Another interesting thing about Perry is that for some strange reason it says he's from Peterborough.  However, he actually grew up near the Quebec border and apparently, there is a picture of a young Perry with the Cup.  Perry is wearing a Habs jersey in the pic because 1 of the players from 93 was from the same town Perry was living in at that time. 

he's already come out and said he was a big Habs fan growing up

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yeah ... you are correct ... his name was quickly added as an afterthought ... afterthoughts should be left where they were

Actually, Stu Cowan mentioned the possibility of Lekhonen being waived on the latest episode of HIO. I didn’t think it was a good idea when he said it either,  as noted Leks would certainly be claimed. 

14 hours ago, PMAC said:

Actually, Stu Cowan mentioned the possibility of Lekhonen being waived on the latest episode of HIO. I didn’t think it was a good idea when he said it either,  as noted Leks would certainly be claimed. 

If necessary, it would make more sense to trade him than waive him ... his salary is not outrageous and he is a coach's dream of responsibility ... I expect several teams would be interested in a deal, perhaps not with a great return but, as I said initially, if necessary ...

• 5 months later...

A quote from today's Perry story in the Athletic. Gotta love it!

Perry wasn’t the only brand name that was put on waivers. But once he understood what was going on, he made it clear to his veteran agent he didn’t want to go anywhere.

“So I did call three teams that looked like they would have the need for him, to ask them not to pick him up on waivers,” Morris told The Athletic over the weekend. “It wasn’t a threat to retire or anything, but basically ‘can you adhere to who Corey Perry is. If your thought is to pick him up on waivers, please don’t.’

“Two of the teams said, ‘We were going to put in a claim until this call. We’ll respect his career.'”

Thankfully for Perry and the Canadiens, the waiver claim never happened.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I'd let Tatar, Merrill, Staal walk

Re-sign Perry, Danault, and Armia

Not sure on Gustafsson, but leaning towards let him walk...

I'm with you on the first six (assuming reasonable contracts).

Gustafsson has been a positive compared to everyone's expectations at the trade deadline. But is he worth keeping for next year? So much depends on what happens at the expansion draft, though ...

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

I'm with you on the first six (assuming reasonable contracts).

Gustafsson has been a positive compared to everyone's expectations at the trade deadline. But is he worth keeping for next year? So much depends on what happens at the expansion draft, though ...

I think you would be better off going after someone who can play the Right Side so that you leave the bottom LD spot to Romanov, and you still have Kulak too.   

Edmundson and Chiarot are gonna be two of the LS dmen, so the third pair spot should be Romanov's and you also have a backup. 

You have your top 2 RH defencemen.... Fleury or Brook could fill in for injuries but I'd like to give both a full AHL season as opposed to what we got this year.  So that means we need a real RH shot on that third pair. 

Maybe Travis Hamonic, 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I think you would be better off going after someone who can play the Right Side so that you leave the bottom LD spot to Romanov. 

Assuming that there is someone good available, yes, and at a price that can fit within the Habs' cap constraints. Convincing players to come to Montreal should be at least a little bit easier after this year's playoff run, even if it ends with this series.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Assuming that there is someone good available, yes, and at a price that can fit within the Habs' cap constraints. Convincing players to come to Montreal should be at least a little bit easier after this year's playoff run, even if it ends with this series.

There are trade options too.   We are talking about a third pair RHD, it shouldn't be that hard to find one.  Its not like we are looking for the golden goose of a #1 C or #1 D.  I think we just need someone to play with Romanov. 

Or alternatively Romanov plays with one of our vets in the regular season and one of Chiarot/Edmundson anchors the third pair and we play more even ice time in the regular season cause 82 games is a grind. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd let Tatar, Merrill, Staal walk

Re-sign Perry, Danault, and Armia

Not sure on Gustafsson, but leaning towards let him walk...

I agree, as long as they get a top4 LD otherwise gamble and bring Guss back until  trade deadline 

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, as long as they get a top4 LD otherwise gamble and bring Guss back until  trade deadline 

I don't see the cap space to upgrade Chiarot/Edmundson and the way that they have played in the playoffs I'm not sure we need to either.  Especially since i think Romanov will be a legit top 4 by the time Chiarot's contract is up anyway. 

And the whole goal is to have Romanov playing.... the three LD need to be Chiarot, Edmundson and Romanov.... anyone further up the depth chart just delays Romanov's development.... and then most of your prospects (Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Guhle) are all LD as well. 

I think the asset cost of a top 4 LHD is gonna be too high right now.

Just now, Commandant said:

I don't see the cap space to upgrade Chiarot/Edmundson and the way that they have played in the playoffs I'm not sure we need to either.  Especially since i think Romanov will be a legit top 4 by the time Chiarot's contract is up anyway. 

Until Romanov starts producing points, he is an excellent shutdown 3LD

I would sign and trade Kulak for an upgrade on LD

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Until Romanov starts producing points, he is an excellent shutdown 3LD

I would sign and trade Kulak for an upgrade on LD

The three LD need to be Chiarot, Edmundson and Romanov.... anyone further up the depth chart just delays Romanov's development.  Then you have Kulak to fill in at LD too.  That's already 4 NHL quality LD. Plus down the road you have Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Guhle.  A top 4 LHD likely means a longer term deal and not a rental, and you are gonna gum up the works on them too.

And I'd look harder at the RHD spot where we have 2 aging NHLers and 2 legit prospects (neither of whom is ready)

More depth on the RH side could also help us deal better if their is an injury to Weber or Petry, and on top of that, it could also let us sit one of them the odd game in the regular season as next year will be a grind too. 

We are gonna have a short off-season cause we've gone so deep.  We have the Olympics next year so it all is gonna add up again, and our top RD are both aging, where we have way more depth on the Left.  

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The three LD need to be Chiarot, Edmundson and Romanov.... anyone further up the depth chart just delays Romanov's development.  Then you have Kulak to fill in at LD too.  That's already 4 NHL quality LD. Plus down the road you have Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Guhle.  A top 4 LHD likely means a longer term deal and not a rental, and you are gonna gum up the works on them too.

And I'd look harder at the RHD spot where we have 2 aging NHLers and 2 legit prospects (neither of whom is ready)

More depth on the RH side could also help us deal better if their is an injury to Weber or Petry, and on top of that, it could also let us sit one of them the odd game in the regular season as next year will be a grind too. 

We are gonna have a short off-season cause we've gone so deep.  We have the Olympics next year so it all is gonna add up again, and our top RD are both aging, where we have way more depth on the Left.  

Top4 RDs are as rare as rare as unicorns . Specially UFAs

Hans are thin on trade chips to get that on a trade

Well see over the next month what MB has in store

Was just reading the Perry-eh comments when first signed. You guys sure had a lot of sound insights and prophecies that have come true. Sure helps us ignorami! :popcorn:

On 6/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He absolutely should be re-signed. It will cost more, but it will be worth it.

Spezza got another year, so probably pretty likely also eh.

Unless win cup, then he might call it a career, but athletes tend to milk it past best before date and have trouble moving on to next career in mid-30s.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Spezza got another year, so probably pretty likely also eh.

Unless win cup, then he might call it a career, but athletes tend to milk it past best before date and have trouble moving on to next career in mid-30s.

Spezza has never won, so there the added reason to come back. Having said that Perry looks like he is having fun, and that he can still play, so I can’t see him walking away. Big question will be will he take the highest contract offer, or stick with what’s been a good fit. 4th liner, but fairly regular PP time. It’s nice seeing a 4th liner like Perry on the PP than a Weal, Darche, or Weisse!!!

Greetings Guys
This thread should return to discussing Lord Perry

He's a mentor for C Caulfield (when the camera shows them talking you see how CC listens to him attentively) =>  Resign Perry for at least another year if not 2 

Ok and now for my shamanish BS:

1- We "Sacrificied" a Q born Player in Drouin for the Habs' Ghosts (just in c... j'suis Quebecois)
2- We got "extreme" rookies in playoffs (i.e. a la P. Roy)

3- We Got the Big 3 (4) 

4- We have "THEE" Goalie

5- Haven't seen Youppi....anywhere!

When we win this cup with Perry we will have to retire his 94

Now forget all the above .....Not to be discussed until parade day