2021 Habs Training Camp

alfredoh2009

The above seems to cut off a couple of players so I went to RDS

Gardiens (6)                                Attaquants (24)

Allen, Jake (#34)                              Anderson, Josh (#17)

Dechemko, Vasili (#35)                   Armia, Joel (#40)

Lindgren, Charlie (#39)                    Baddock, Brandon (#81)

McNiven, Michael (#70)                  Belzile, Alex (#60)

Price, Carey (#31)                             Blandisi, Joseph (#47)

Primeau, Cayden (#30)                    Byron, Paul (#41)

Danault, Phillip (#24)

Dauphin, Laurent (#45)

Drouin, Jonathan (#92)

Défenseurs (12)                  Evans, Jake (#71)

Chiarot, Ben (#8)                              Frolik, Michael (#67)

Edmundson, Joel (#44)                   Gallagher, Brendan (#11)

Fleury, Cale (#20)                             Kotkaniemi, Jesperi (#15)

Juulsen, Noah (#58)                        Lehkonen, Artturi (#62)

Kulak, Brett (#77)                             Lucchini, Jacob (#57)

Leskinen, Otto (#64)                        Lynch, Kevin (#65)

Mete, Victor (#53)                            Perry, Corey (#94)

Olofsson, Gustav (#51)                   Poehling, Ryan (#25)

Ouellet, Xavier (#61)                        Suzuki, Nick (#14)

Petry, Jeff (#26)                               Tatar, Tomas (#90)

Romanov, Alexander (#27)            Teasdale, Joel (#38)

Weber, Shea (#6)                             Toffoli, Tyler (#73)

Vejdemo, Lukas (#42)

Weal, Jordan (#43)

Goalies are what I expected ... slightly surprised Josh Brook isn't included but expect they see him as needing another season on the Laval blueline mo matter what and had had no plans to keep him as 7D or taxi squad ... I could see either of the Os (Ouellet or Oloffson) on the taxi squad ... maybe even Leskinen ... expect that, going in, Juulsen has to beat out Mete for the roster spot (the other ... seem like a lot of space fillers up front ... forwards 10-13 and the 2 (?) taxi squad spots will be the fights ... top 9 will be the experiments that will be under the media microscope.

EDIT: There used to be post above mine with a tweet that cut-off some players from a list of 42 ... I swear there was ... really ... I wasn't imagining things ... or at least that's what the voices tell me ...

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

forwards 10-13 and the 2 (?) taxi squad spots will be the fights ...

Will there really be a fight for a taxi squad spot? You may end up sitting in the press box instead of playing games in Laval -- and still not getting anNHL salary. I should think the Habs would want players with real long-term prospects on the ice in Laval, the taxi squad is for emergency fill-ins.

But different teams may take different approaches to this.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Will there really be a fight for a taxi squad spot? You may end up sitting in the press box instead of playing games in Laval -- and still not getting anNHL salary. I should think the Habs would want players with real long-term prospects on the ice in Laval, the taxi squad is for emergency fill-ins.

But different teams may take different approaches to this.

I totally agree that any of the youngsters need to be playing big minutes in the AHL, not practicing as part of the taxi squad

I think it is Weal, Byron, Perry, Frolik fighting for the roster versus taxi spots ... the two recently signed vets have VERY attractive cap hits (and for that reason might be more likely to be claimed on waivers than Weal or Byron) ... also, the Habs can save $1.075M by "demoting" Weal and/or Byron

Welcome Longstreet, lineup seems to make sense; but, guess will see next week how scrimmages play out.

The 7 non-playoff teams (ANA/BUF/DET/LA/NJ/OTT/SJ) camps open today.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

No point keeping Leskinen, Juulsen or Demchenko on the taxi squad once the AHL starts up: they need games, not practice time.

Maybe keep them on the taxi squad until the AHL camp opens ... but otherwise I completely agree

5 hours ago, Longstreet said:

Forwards:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson 

Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Toffoli

Byron-Evans-Armia

Frolik- XX-Perry

Defense:

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Petry

Romanov-Edmundson

Mete

Goal:

Price

Allen

Taxi Squad:

Weal

Belzile

Juulsen

Leskinen

Ouellet

Demchenko

Welcome aboard ... from another newbie barely more than 6 months "old".

Absent any trades/waiver-losses, my only comment on the lines is that I expect them to try Toffoli to KK's left with Armia on the right-side so KK, while able, doesn't have to do the majority of the "dirty work" ... also, doubt both Perry or Frolik will be on the roster as it would mean the Habs would be slightly over the cap ceiling.

With respect to the taxi squad I doubt they carry 6... I expect Lindgren to be the the practice goalie, err, taxi squad goalie; Demchenko ***may*** have a future with the Habs and needs gameplay ... similarly, Juulsen needs to play in Laval not practice in Montreal... and ... I expect only one of Ouellet or Leskinen will he kept ... as DBlair has speculated, having two taxi squad spots would allow MB to play some salary cap games be sending roster players that don't need or would clear waivers down between games to save cap space.

Great to be on board. Been a Habs fan ever since they took down the big bad Bruins in 1971... grew up outside of Hershey and was a regular at some great AHL games back then and saw a lot of the “young” Canadiens play for Nova Scotia. Bears vs. Voyager games were as intense as Bruins vs. Canadien games. Quite a few bench emptying brawls. Those 1975-79 Canadian teams were the best I’ve ever seen!

Lived in Boston’s North End from 1986-1990 and always went to Bruin games with company tix. Nothing like the old Gawden! Oh those Bruin vs. Canadiens games never disappointed! Hosted the 89-90 Canadiens at the Hotel I was an executive at. I booked them and was their main contact for several days on site. Pregame meals were insane... boys were class acts and so were the coaches. So many bumps and bruises.

Really looking forward to the season. This team, on paper, is as good as any in recent memory. The short season benefits the older guys, too. Love the Canadian division.

Like the Frolik and Perry pickups and see them contributing for sure. Cheap, too. Not a Weal fan. 

Who knows about the “Tsquad” but guys like Juulsen need to clear waivers and he wouldn’t. I like him as #3 RD with Romanov at LD. Not a Kulak or Mete fan...

When will the AHL startup? 

Let’s roll!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Longstreet said:

February 5th remains the target start date for the minors.  Laval will be playing in the all-Canadian division which consists of just them, Toronto, Belleville, and Manitoba.

3 hours ago, Longstreet said:

Great to be on board. Been a Habs fan ever since they took down the big bad Bruins in 1971... grew up outside of Hershey and was a regular at some great AHL games back then and saw a lot of the “young” Canadiens play for Nova Scotia. Bears vs. Voyager games were as intense as Bruins vs. Canadien games. Quite a few bench emptying brawls. Those 1975-79 Canadian teams were the best I’ve ever seen!

Lived in Boston’s North End from 1986-1990 and always went to Bruin games with company tix. Nothing like the old Gawden! Oh those Bruin vs. Canadiens games never disappointed! Hosted the 89-90 Canadiens at the Hotel I was an executive at. I booked them and was their main contact for several days on site. Pregame meals were insane... boys were class acts and so were the coaches. So many bumps and bruises.

Really looking forward to the season. This team, on paper, is as good as any in recent memory. The short season benefits the older guys, too. Love the Canadian division.

Like the Frolik and Perry pickups and see them contributing for sure. Cheap, too. Not a Weal fan. 

Who knows about the “Tsquad” but guys like Juulsen need to clear waivers and he wouldn’t. I like him as #3 RD with Romanov at LD. Not a Kulak or Mete fan...

Let’s roll!

Holy cow, those are some great stories. I have a lot of fondness for those late-80s/early-90s teams, so it’s cool that you got to interact with them. Did any player make a particular impression on you from that group -?

Amazing that you’re with us when all the odds would have pegged you as a fan of the hated Bruins. Good choice! Welcome aboard :) 

My mistake, as it was 87-88 when the Bruins finally beat the Habs.... I seemed to always bump into the Defensemen and Ludwig stands out as a good guy but all of them were most professional and it was a brutal series. Very intense. They looked like wounded soldiers returning with ice bags everywhere and most going into the training room immediately for treatment. Training crew were neat guys, too. Always had extra ice on hand. Pregame meal pretty much consisted of pasta and coffee! Postgame was much different. Those late eighties teams were bloody good ones, too.

21 minutes ago, Longstreet said:

My mistake, as it was 87-88 when the Bruins finally beat the Habs.... I seemed to always bump into the Defensemen and Ludwig stands out as a good guy but all of them were most professional and it was a brutal series. Very intense. They looked like wounded soldiers returning with ice bags everywhere and most going into the training room immediately for treatment. Training crew were neat guys, too. Always had extra ice on hand. Pregame meal pretty much consisted of pasta and coffee! Postgame was much different. Those late eighties teams were bloody good ones, too.

That was the year they broke Richer’s hand, if memory serves. He was basically carrying the Habs single-handedly, so naturally they took him out with a vicious slash. 

Ludwig...I remember him most of all for brutal elbows. Man, the stuff that went on back then would never be tolerated today.

Those were great teams - the 1989 club made the Finals, of course - but it took Savard’s brilliant GMing to acquire two top-6 FW in Muller and Damphousse in order to turn them from “very strong” teams to a Cup winner.

Here's a happier memory of the late 80's Habs.

In 1986, I was living in Boston and the Habs and Bruins met in the best of 5 opening round.  Lots of talk in Boston that this was going to be the year the Bruins finally snapped their long playoff series losing streak versus Montreal.  Montreal won the opening 2 games at home and Boston fans were still expecting the Bruins to take the series to 5 games.  I got tickets to the third game at a packed Boston Gardens.

The Bruins were ahead 3-2 going into the third.  Gainey scored early to tie it up and then he scored again with about 11 minutes remaining.  The crowd turned on the Bruins and starting booing incessantly.  This discombobulated the Boston players and they couldn't do anything right.  This further infuriated and emboldened the crowd and caused them to boo more loudly.  The second half of the third period consisted of the Bruins fumbling around against a Habs trap and the furious crowd jeering every mistake.  I kept thinking, "this game isn't over - its only a one goal lead".  But with the crowd hounding them the Bruins couldn't string two passes together.  It was surreal!  A treasured memory for me.

• Upvote 1

I take these old anecdotes as signs of excitement and enthusiasm.

I remember being a kid (about 5th grade) and my old man taking me to the Forum for my first ever NHL game. Playoffs - Habs v Flyers and the infamous Ron Hextall.

Sometime about halfway through the game, the crowd starts up with the jeer “Hextallll, Hextallll”. I cannot put into words how happy this made me. I had never heard anything like it before. I was literally smiling from ear to ear.

Suzuki comes in at 208 lbs - the guy is only 5’10. He is a thic boi (was 201 last season). 

Kotkaniemi needs more muscle as he is only 201 lbs. for his height he needs to be 215 at least ( he was 198 last season)

Our defence is beefy 

Drouin Suzuki Anderson is going to destroy the league. They are gonna be good

Kotkaniemi was only 190 lbs in his rookie season. Last season he had put on 10 lbs of muscle, but it seemed to throw his skating off. He looked much better in the post-season, and at this point I'm happy to have him at an effective 201. He can bulk up gradually over the next few years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Suzuki comes in at 208 lbs - the guy is only 5’10. He is a thic boi (was 201 last season). 

Kotkaniemi needs more muscle as he is only 201 lbs. for his height he needs to be 215 at least ( he was 198 last season)

Our defence is beefy 

Drouin Suzuki Anderson is going to destroy the league. They are gonna be good

That line will only be good if Suzuki and Anderson get chemistry and carry the offence.  I’ve said for awhile Drouin is a Semin-type player that will excel if he’s the 3rd wheel on a line.  He has the talent but lacks the consistency and drive to be part of the 1-2 punch on a line.  If Suzuki and Anderson carry it, Drouin will look real good stats wise like Semin did with Backstrom and Ovi ‘06-‘10.

That being said I don’t expect those type of numbers from any of those 3, using it as a comparison.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Kotkaniemi was only 190 lbs in his rookie season. Last season he had put on 10 lbs of muscle, but it seemed to throw his skating off. He looked much better in the post-season, and at this point I'm happy to have him at an effective 201. He can bulk up gradually over the next few years.

Yeah he is heading in the right direction and he will get there. I’m expecting huge stuff from him this year and if he is paired with Armia and Toffoli I think they can cause havoc   All players have size and skill - good time for Armia to show us more