2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They wouldn't be giving him a minimum AHL salary.  They could offer a two-way deal with an AHL salary of $175K and a guarantee of $200K (they tend to have that language in their contracts) but if they feel he's too weak defensively to recall, even that type of offer may not be justifiable.

Right. There were few enough opportunities for any Rocket D (outside of Ouellet) to play for the Habs this year, so these assessments, like the draft choices, will be more difficult.

Tobie Paquette-Bisson gets his well-deserved extension, a one-year, one-way AHL deal.  A couple of days ago, they also signed forward Cedric Desruisseaux to a one-year, two-way AHL deal.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Tobie Paquette-Bisson gets his well-deserved extension, a one-year, one-way AHL deal.  A couple of days ago, they also signed forward Cedric Desruisseaux to a one-year, two-way AHL deal.

I was impressed with Paquette-Brison in the little I saw ... AHL teams need solid defence cores to surround prospects 

Desruisseaux is the perfect ECHL signing, if he doesn't force his way onto the Rocket ... kid is from Victoriaville, 45 minutes from Trois-Rivières. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Trois-Rivieres has their team name, the Lions.

https://www.echl.com/news/2021/6/introducing-the-trois-rivieres-lions

As a native Trifluvian I love the logo ... G-L-G

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Leskinen has signed a two-year contract with Jokerit (KHL). Quite understandable as there doesn't appear to be much of a path to a regular NHL role for him at the moment, at least not on the Habs. Playing for Jokerit will likely give him lots of ice time, a significantly better salary than the Rocket, and he'll be able to live closer to his family and friends in Finland.

Not an impact on the Habs, at least for now, but he played a big role on the Rocket defence corps, and they will need to find someone to fill that.

Would making a qualifying offer (which he obviously would not sign) retain his NHL/AHL rights for the Habs?

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Leskinen has signed a two-year contract with Jokerit (KHL). Quite understandable as there doesn't appear to be much of a path to a regular NHL role for him at the moment, at least not on the Habs. Playing for Jokerit will likely give him lots of ice time, a significantly better salary than the Rocket, and he'll be able to live closer to his family and friends in Finland.

Not an impact on the Habs, at least for now, but he played a big role on the Rocket defence corps, and they will need to find someone to fill that.

Would making a qualifying offer (which he obviously would not sign) retain his NHL/AHL rights for the Habs?

It would retain his rights until he is 27.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's really starting to look like Bouchard will not be back with Laval next season:

I get the sense this is his choice, not the organization's.

I do hope he's also considering some options that Bergevin has presented to him ...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I do hope he's also considering some options that Bergevin has presented to him ...

bringing Bouchard to the Habs staff would be a good option, if he is OK in being an assistant coach. It would make him next in-line.

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

bringing Bouchard to the Habs staff would be a good option, if he is OK in being an assistant coach. It would make him next in-line.

I'm thinking more the front office, a player development role.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm thinking more the front office, a player development role.

I doubt he goes for that. He seems to love coaching 

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt he goes for that. He seems to love coaching 

That is the question, isn't it. Hopefully both options are being offered to him.

But he has excelled in player development while at Laval. And there is not much opportunity for that on the big team, where the focus is on winning, and winning tonight.

I probably should get an offseason thread for Laval going at some point but until I get around to doing that, I'll keep posting notes here.  

Laval has added a veteran goalie to the mix for next season, signing Kevin Poulin to a one-year deal.  I like the move but I wonder if he's signing to be Primeau's backup (pushing McNiven out) or if he's going to be content being the third-stringer.

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I probably should get an offseason thread for Laval going at some point but until I get around to doing that, I'll keep posting notes here.  

Laval has added a veteran goalie to the mix for next season, signing Kevin Poulin to a one-year deal.  I like the move but I wonder if he's signing to be Primeau's backup (pushing McNiven out) or if he's going to be content being the third-stringer.

Born in Montreal ... played four season for Victoriaville in the Q, less than an hour from Trois Rivieres ... might be a fit with the Lions for their first ECHL season ... except I'm not certain many goalies with 50 NHL games (i.e., not a meal, but more than just a cup of coffee) end up in the ECHL.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Am I reading too much into Belzile not filling one of those vet spots yet?

Aren’t Weal, Vejdemo and Leskinen moving on?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic