2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Am I reading too much into Belzile not filling one of those vet spots yet?

I'm a bit curious about that as well.  He still doesn't count as a veteran even so I'd think they'd want him back.

A clarification from yesterday, Martel is in that 260-319 category and not a strict veteran like I thought which helps a little bit.

Laval signed Charles-David Beaudoin today.  I remember him being at a rookie or development camp with the Habs a few years ago and he has some AHL experience with Manitoba.  He spent last year in Austria.

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Am I reading too much into Belzile not filling one of those vet spots yet?

Wonder if Belzile might be looking for a team where he sees a better path for making it to the NHL?

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Laval is officially looking for a new head coach after Joel Bouchard was named head coach of Anaheim's farm team.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-name-bouchard-as-gulls-head-coach/c-325610856

Too bad ... wish Joel well ... jealous of the weather he gets next winter

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Laval is officially looking for a new head coach after Joel Bouchard was named head coach of Anaheim's farm team.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-name-bouchard-as-gulls-head-coach/c-325610856

Disappointing. I wonder what motivated him to take on another AHL assignment as it's very much a lateral move. I doubt he'd do it for the weather -- but maybe the Ducklings waved a thick wad of dollar bills in front of him?

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Disappointing. I wonder what motivated him to take on another AHL assignment as it's very much a lateral move. I doubt he'd do it for the weather -- but maybe the Ducklings waved a thick wad of dollar bills in front of him?

Ducharme is about to get a nice extension.

Anaheim's head coach has been in his job a few years with little success.

The path to NHL head coach is easier in Anaheim seems the reason IMO.

• Upvote 1

No way should we get outbid by the Ducks.  Maybe he saw a clearer path to an NHL head coaching gig in Anaheim, or just wanted to change organizations.  Big loss for our developmental system (if we can even call it that).  I hope we don't hire another Lefebvre.

I don’t mind Bouchard heading out west to learn how to be an nhl head coach. He cuts his teeth there and then the Habs can hire him in 5 years. Habs always seem to groom French Canadian head coaches so they have better success elsewhere, maybe it can go the other way around this time with Bouchard. 

And no one’s going to be stunned to see Alexandre Burrows coaching AHL Laval.

- 31 thoughts: Eliotte Friedman

Makes some sense ... he only retired three years ago ... if he wants a future in coaching he will need HC experience at some point ... guess the question is whether he is ready to take on responsibility for the development of the habs future.

Laval signs Tory Dello

And here is a neat story on his start with the Griffings in 2020:

https://www.mlive.com/griffins/2020/03/tory-dellos-chaotic-brief-and-unforgettable-first-stint-with-griffins.html

I am still in shock from Bouchard's leaving the organization. I was always under the impression that he loved coaching more than an executive job and him making this sideways move supports my belief.

The next Laval coach needs to be as solid a person as Bouchard was.

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am still in shock from Bouchard's leaving the organization. I was always under the impression that he loved coaching more than an executive job and him making this sideways move supports my belief.

The next Laval coach needs to be as solid a person as Bouchard was.

I wonder if Bergy told him DD was getting signed for near future and no opening, before he opted for Ducks?

35 minutes ago, DON said:

I wonder if Bergy told him DD was getting signed for near future and no opening, before he opted for Ducks?

It is odd, he seemed to be committed to developing the Habs prospects. Thought he would establish an academy-like program with the trios-rivière lions and the his Boisbriand team

2021-22 will be his fifth year pro ... AHL: 107gms, 10 g, 8a ... ECHL: 82gms, 37g, 37a ... future Lion de Trois-Rivières? 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is odd, he seemed to be committed to developing the Habs prospects. Thought he would establish an academy-like program with the trios-rivière lions and the his Boisbriand team

He is just starting his pro coaching career, so really a couple years not big deal (esp with DD freshly signed) and the other french coach who was just hired in NHL, at least help give more experienced french options, down the road.

1 hour ago, DON said:

He is just starting his pro coaching career, so really a couple years not big deal (esp with DD freshly signed) and the other french coach who was just hired in NHL, at least help give more experienced french options, down the road.

He was a rock star with Montreal/Quebec media. Well liked and respected for the success he had with the Armada and his style of coaching. He may have been a rookie with the Lava Rocket, but he had been very visible in Quebec. 

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

. He may have been a rookie with the Lava Rocket, but he had been very visible in Quebec

Which is all well and good but 100% meaningless as far as running a NHL roster, cept maybe in a negative way.

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Which is all well and good but 100% meaningless as far as running a NHL roster, cept maybe in a negative way.

your reply makes sense, and I see where mine doesn't after reading yours...

I guess that my impression is that a coach needs to have that connection with the public to be considered for a head coach job in the Habs organization. It has nothing to with the job but it is a factor when drafting a list of candidates... I think

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

J-F Houle is the new head coach in Laval.  This seemed the logical hire to me based on experience: https://www.habsworld.net/2021/07/jean-francois-houle-named-laval-head-coach/

Let’s clean the Laval office, repaint and prepare for a championship run for the Rocket !!!

• Like 1

This applies to Jan Mysak who barely got past the 20-game mark next season.  Nice to know there will be that option for him although the OHL still may be better from a development perspective.  (Hamilton didn't renounce his rights at the Import Draft last month so he can go back there.)

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This applies to Jan Mysak who barely got past the 20-game mark next season.  Nice to know there will be that option for him although the OHL still may be better from a development perspective.  (Hamilton didn't renounce his rights at the Import Draft last month so he can go back there.)

So Mysak i thought for sure would be back in the OHL for a final year? But, he may play AHL eh;  I thought he wasnt ready for pro, from what Bouchard noted during season anyways.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Ideally I subscribe to the general "dominate at one level before moving up" philosophy ... 15 goals in 22 games with Hamilton is outstanding, but still only 22 games ... wouldn't mind seeing him stay in the OHL ... no need to rush

• dlbalr unpinned this topic