2020-21 Laval General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Those are those on this board who obviously understand the emergency recall\taxi squad\cap hit rules much better than I do so I totally get why it may be difficult to bring up Poehling this year but I think he is a very a strong candidate for next year if he has a good camp.  He is the leading scorer on the top ranked team in the AHL and his cap hit would be attractive, hard to ignore that. 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You can't just pull Staal from the lineup, as you dont get an emergency recall for a healthy scratch. 

The reason why its Evans or Poehling is that Evans is already an emergency recall... you can swap one player for another, and Poehling would now be the Emergency recall and Evans back to the taxi squad or Laval.

That's right. But once the Laval season is over, we could potentially play both Evans and Poehling.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

That's right. But once the Laval season is over, we could potentially play both Evans and Poehling.

We could, but that would be bringing him in for his first game in the middle of a playoff series. 

59 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We could, but that would be bringing him in for his first game in the middle of a playoff series. 

Yes. Which might or might not be worse than playing Staal.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can't just pull Staal from the lineup, as you dont get an emergency recall for a healthy scratch. 

The reason why its Evans or Poehling is that Evans is already an emergency recall... you can swap one player for another, and Poehling would now be the Emergency recall and Evans back to the taxi squad or Laval.

For the "look see" in the regular season you are entirely correct ... I was more looking at using an emergency recall tp see whether Poehling might, overall, be a better option than Staal in the post-season ... given that (based on the morning skate) there is chance that Frolik dresses I can't understand why they wouldn't take a look at Poehling instead.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Those are those on this board who obviously understand the emergency recall\taxi squad\cap hit rules much better than I do so I totally get why it may be difficult to bring up Poehling this year but I think he is a very a strong candidate for next year if he has a good camp.  He is the leading scorer on the top ranked team in the AHL and his cap hit would be attractive, hard to ignore that. 

He needs a new contract for next season (I could see something similar to Evans' deal) but he should be in the mix.  He's still waiver-exempt though so it's far from a guarantee he'd get a spot.

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For the "look see" in the regular season you are entirely correct ... I was more looking at using an emergency recall tp see whether Poehling might, overall, be a better option than Staal in the post-season ... given that (based on the morning skate) there is chance that Frolik dresses I can't understand why they wouldn't take a look at Poehling instead.

Frolik has been practicing with the team all season long, Poehling hasn't aside from the first week or so.  They kind of have to give Frolik the first opportunity.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

...Frolik has been practicing with the team all season long, Poehling hasn't aside from the first week or so.  They kind of have to give Frolik the first opportunity.

Fair enough ... but after what he showed in Laval and against Edmonton & Ottawa I don't expect anything more impressive tonight ... and pretty much feel he has had his chance.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Four of the five AHL divisions - including the North Division - will not have any playoffs so once May 17th hits, that's the end of the year for Laval.

Good news IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Laval played Belleville yesterday and lost 4-3.  Lucchini had two, should have been three but since there's no video replay, they couldn't go upstairs to check.  (Laval was on the other end of this a few weeks back as well, benefiting from no replay.

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here: looks like Jordan Weal is heading to the KHL next season to play for AK Bars. 

The original source on this seems a little sketchy although him going to the KHL does make sense.

https://t.me/IgorZhukovLife/3908

This one is a little better but says he's expected to get an offer from them, not that a deal is done:

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its a good move IMO.  

Want Price to get some live action for sure.  Gallagher will benefit as well. 

I mentioned on the last HabsWorld podcast that I was hoping that they would do this for Price. Not a bad idea for Gallagher either. 

51 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

The danger is some minor league scrub thinking he can make a name for himself with the Leafs organization by running our stars.

If that happens, you realize you will be to blame

;)

RDS carrying tonight's Rocket game ... 7 pm

14 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The danger is some minor league scrub thinking he can make a name for himself with the Leafs organization by running our stars.

Last Rocket game, I had a feeling the Marlies were targeting players that may be called up: Ylonen, Belzile, etc. But shook that thought because I thought I was being paranoid 

Today I think I may be justified to be paranoid 

On 5/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, dlbalr said:

The original source on this seems a little sketchy although him going to the KHL does make sense.

https://t.me/IgorZhukovLife/3908

This one is a little better but says he's expected to get an offer from them, not that a deal is done:

Being that Weal is not one of the Black Aces can we add a touch more creedence to the speculation?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic