The new theme looks nice ... but the line spacing is much wider, so less fits on the same page. Given the number of pinned topics, it means that it's now necessary to scroll in order to see whether there are new posts.

Any chance the line spacing could be tightened up a bit?

I can look into it but my first guess is no as that type of code can't usually be tinkered with.

Edit: Apparently, it was done deliberately because a bunch of users wanted more padded spacing.

I'm also looking into the ability to try to at least dull the brightness a bit but again, this apparently was highly requested so it doesn't look like it can be adjusted.

We may have some flexibility on colours.  That said, rather than change a whole bunch of individual settings, we instead installed a dark theme (thanks @sakiqc).  Go to the bottom of the page and to the left of the Contact Us link, there's a 'Theme' dropbar.  Click it and if you want a darker background, pick the Dark Theme and you get a grey/black setup.

I'm not very good on the technical side of things and tend to ere on the side of 'don't try to guess if this is the fix in case it screws everything up royally' but I'll try to look.