Getting the Roster ready: Habs Waived on January 10th

Commandant

I hope Perry stays. Everything else is merely unfortunate. 

• Upvote 1

If I am not mistaken:

NYR, LAK, OTT, DET, OTT, ANA, NJD, BUF, MIN, WPG, NSH skipped over

FLA claimed him.

Maybe Arizona (Demers is hurt), Pittsburgh (an upgrade on Ruhwedel), or Anaheim (an upgrade on Welinski?)

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Kulak is criminally underrated here. He should be playing beside Petry. 

I really hope Perry clears - he is still a beast that would help greatly in the playoffs 

How long until Romanov is playing with Weber?

Best case scenario, 10-20 game mark.  Reality, sometime next season or the season after, his development depending.  It really comes down to how much the kid steps up and adjusts to NHL hockey.

if this kid is to be the player he is projected to be, he shouldn’t be rushed.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

wow.... Kulak is a better player now, and i highly doubt Juulsen ever reaches Kulak's level.  He's the most underrated player on this team

In an ideal world we would have traded Kulak for a 3rd round pick.  The gamble is whether someone takes Kulak off waivers.  We gambled on Juulsen instead, and lost.

Kulak was HUGE in the playoffs (or play ins) last spring.  I sure don't mind having him stay with the team either.  Our top 6 is strong.

I just think that, since we couldn't trade Kulak, if we wanted to keep Juulsen it would have been Kulak who would have been sent down.   

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How long until Romanov is playing with Weber?

2 weeks, not full time partners of course.

I really hope Perry clears - he is still a beast that would help greatly in the playoffs 

As the kids say, Meh!

I just couldnt care less. he wont be an impact player and have leaders already...waste of icetime IF he plays.

Kulak is criminally underrated here. He should be playing beside Petry. 

Bit underrated i think, thats all.

I'm fine losing Juulsen, but he does, unfortunately, enter the list of a long line of 1st-round bomb-outs for the Habs. Sigh. In terms of salvaging the run from 2009-2016, a lot depends on Anderson panning out.

As for Kulak, he can certainly play quality minutes, but I guess inconsistency is his bugbear. Calgary viewed him as a marginal player and our coaches appear to have flip-flopped on him quite radically from his first to his second year with us. This seems like an important season for him: does he consolidate himself as a legit #4-5, or is he definitely a bubble player who goes on hot streaks where he looks like more?

People pick and choose to make things look bad. Why particularly 2009-2016?  Why not a five- or ten-year period? Or since Bergevin was hired in 2012? Because it wouldn't look as bad.

In any case, Galchenyuk and Sergachev were decent picks, and I believe Juulsen was as well -- getting severely injured does not indicate poor drafting.

Andonly Galchenyuk and Sergachev were drafted in the first half of the first round -- most of the others were in the bottom third.

https://twitter.com/Waddingly3/status/1348685228005609472?s=20

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Juulsen really had no impact as he wasn't projected to be on the roster ... if Frolik and Perry clear waivers, both of them going to the practice squad will make the Habs cap compliant ... then, as DBlair has noted, the daily cap maneuvers begin

Of course, using CapFriendly as the basis, that leaves only 12 forwards on the roster and that doesn't include Evans ... guess Byron would centre the 4th line ... or there is still something yet to happen

Byron should have been waived.  We might have got lucky and someone may have picked him up.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Perry and Frolik both on waivers.  Surprised they waived Perry and not Byron. 

im not... Byron is a key cog on this team... sure he's not a 1st liner but he does a lot of really good things, great on the PK and his speed is elite. I would love to see our record with him in and out of the line up for the Habs... I would bet its a substantial difference , like Markovishly different.

(And Im not implying hes at Markovs talent level) just he helps win games

Kulak is only 3 years older then Juulsen. Agree here that they are on significantly different levels currently. Maybe we can compare the 2 again in a few seasons.

Its a shame we might lose Perry but i was always envisioning our 4th line looking the way it does now...

My one question is if Perry goes unclaimed, will he need to clear waivers to jump from taxi squad back on habs roster?

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its harder to sneak a guy through waivers after the season starts than it is now. 

There is a better chance of him clearing with 100 players on waivers in two days, then to wait ten days. 

After waiting ten days, there would be teams where the injury bug has struck, or some prospect in their lineup isn't producing, who will claim Juulsen at that point.

Normally I’d agree, but with the quarantine requirement, it may have been easier to sneak him through a few weeks into the season.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm fine losing Juulsen, but he does, unfortunately, enter the list of a long line of 1st-round bomb-outs for the Habs. Sigh. In terms of salvaging the run from 2009-2016, a lot depends on Anderson panning out.

As for Kulak, he can certainly play quality minutes, but I guess inconsistency is his bugbear. Calgary viewed him as a marginal player and our coaches appear to have flip-flopped on him quite radically from his first to his second year with us. This seems like an important season for him: does he consolidate himself as a legit #4-5, or is he definitely a bubble player who goes on hot streaks where he looks like more?

And this from the GM who wanted to build through the draft.

7 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

im not... Byron is a key cog on this team... sure he's not a 1st liner but he does a lot of really good things, great on the PK and his speed is elite. I would love to see our record with him in and out of the line up for the Habs... I would bet its a substantial difference , like Markovishly different.

(And Im not implying hes at Markovs talent level) just he helps win games

Kulak is only 3 years older then Juulsen. Agree here that they are on significantly different levels currently. Maybe we can compare the 2 again in a few seasons.

Its a shame we might lose Perry but i was always envisioning our 4th line looking the way it does now...

My one question is if Perry goes unclaimed, will he need to clear waivers to jump from taxi squad back on habs roster?

Byron is rarely healthy and takes up a lot of cap room. We were a crap team hen he was a key cog. With Gallagher, Taffoli, Tatar, Anderson, Drouin, Armia, I think Byron is really not worth the cap hit for his place in the lineup.

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... My one question is if Perry goes unclaimed, will he need to clear waivers to jump from taxi squad back on habs roster?

My understanding is that the taxi-squad members are teated as though they are in the AHL ... so once they clear waivers they can be called up at any time but the waiver rules apply ... as I understand it, under regular conditions a player can be sent back down as long as they haven't been with the club for 30 days or played 10 games, whichever comes first ... don't know if that has changed for this season

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And this from the GM who wanted to build through the draft.

Only the last five of those were on Bergevin's watch. McCarron was clearly a bust as was Scherbak, although both were very late first round. But Galchenyuk (9th)and Sergachev (3rd) were solid draft picks, and Juulsen (26th) was good, but had his career derailed by injuries.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Only the last five of those were on Bergevin's watch. McCarron was clearly a bust as was Scherbak, although both were very late first round. But Galchenyuk (9th)and Sergachev (3rd) were solid draft picks, and Juulsen (26th) was good, but had his career derailed by injuries.

Of course they passed on Shea Theodore to take McCaron ... in a lesser oversight, they passed on Brandon Lemieux who last year proved he may be a decent NHL 4th liner

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Of course they passed on Shea Theodore to take McCaron ... in a lesser oversight, they passed on Brandon Lemieux who last year proved he may be a decent NHL 4th liner

can you imagine Pasternak goes 25th to BOS and we get Scherbak 26th... how depressing

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Byron is rarely healthy and takes up a lot of cap room. We were a crap team hen he was a key cog. With Gallagher, Taffoli, Tatar, Anderson, Drouin, Armia, I think Byron is really not worth the cap hit for his place in the lineup.

But Habs record with him in and out was the question... Not all the Habs depth on the wing. I would argue he's shown he's worth his cap hit when hes infact healthy and in the line up. 

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Philly picked 9th and took Samuel Morin. They could have had Domi, Wennberg, Zadorov, Mantha -- or Theodore.

Canucks picked just before us and took Hunter Shinkaruk.

Any draft will have countless examples like these. The probabilities are low, and there are no guarantees.

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

But Habs record with him in and out was the question... Not all the Habs depth on the wing. I would argue he's shown he's worth his cap hit when hes infact healthy and in the line up. 

Armia + Byron scored four SH goals last season. That is a strong PK pairing.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If drafts were more of a guarantee, picks would be worth more.

• Upvote 1

last year 2019/ 2020

They were 11-5-3 with him, even while he was largely ineffective in front of the net, and they went 16-21-5 without him.

then a simple search of Habs record with Byron in the line up yielded this

2018/2019

With the flashy forward in the lineup, the Canadiens posted a 33-19-4 record - good for a .589 winning percentage - and earned 70 of a possible 112 points, giving them a .625 points percentage. In the 26 games without Byron's services, the Habs went 11-11-4 (.423) and earned 26 of 52 points (.500).

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/recap-2018-19-proof-the-habs-are-better-with-paul-byron/c-307192946