Getting the Roster ready: Habs Waived on January 10th

Commandant

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s not that I don’t like Byron. I just don’t like his salary and the term he’s got left. Our depth had pushed him down the lineup.  It doesn’t make sense to spend that much on a 4th liner - especially for a team that is paying $15m (full year amount) for goaltending. I’d rather use that for a deadline deal, if the team actually plays like a team that can do damage.

While I recognize the point and unpleasant appearance of that much salary on 4th line, I think it works for Mtl roster.

Prior to last season he had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons (per 82 gp) with very limited top 6 usage.    Dude is worth his contract just for that and then add in that the players, management, coaches love him (he's an "A").  So, I disagree that he is overpaid for what he brings to the table. 

This team  is without single player offensive star power, we need 3rd/4th liners who can play 12-15 min/night and get 20 goals.   

He causes no turmoil regardless of role he is given, is adaptable, kills penalties like a beast.     CHaracter player, he just needs to not drop the gloves imo.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sorry, 100% strongly disagree with everything in this post. 

Trade him for a third round pick?  Hell no.

No need to be sorry for disagreeing.  So, we lost Juulsen for nothing....   Are you saying a 3rd round pick isn't better?

If the option was Juulsen or Kulak on waivers (it is one of those two or Mete), then isn't a 3rd round pick better than nothing?

Juulsen could turn out to be a solid D-man.  Kulak might just have had a one and done good season.  Only way we'll know is to let it play out.

I would have liked to see what Juulsen could do.  Same for Mete, although he has had the ice time to show us a lot so far.  The thing is I believe Mete is claimed, guaranteed.  No guarantee Kulak would have been claimed, and his salary would have given us cap relief.

You can argue the 3rd round pick all you want (is he worth a 2nd?) but either way under the current scenario we got NOTHING!  And we still have a cap problem.

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

wow.... Kulak is a better player now, and i highly doubt Juulsen ever reaches Kulak's level.  He's the most underrated player on this team

I think Byron and Kulak are both highly underrated.  The point is the team had to gamble on their 3rd pairing of defence.  Could they get cap relief by sending Kulak to the Taxi squad?  Yes.  Would he have been picked?  Not sure because of his cap hit.

Is Kulak better than Juulsen today?  Yes.

We still lost Juulsen for nothing.  So, we lost the gamble.....

If Kulak got picked up, we would have lost too.  But, at least we'd be cap compliant....

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Last year I might have agreed ... but in a "win now" season I don't think you keep Juulsen over Kulak ... Noah has had a significant injury history the last two years and Kulak played top 4 minutes last season (except perhaps when Scandella was with the Habs) ...

For me, the harder choice was between Mete and Juulsen ... IMO Mete is, and will be, a 6/7/(5?) defenceman but Juulsen ***may*** have still have 2nd pairing, shut-down potential and is a right-hand shot ... but I don't think that sitting in Montreal would have advanced his career, he needed lots of icetime and unfortunately a couple of ex-Habs (Dudley and Churla) were in place to advocate for taking him.

Hard to argue with that reasoning.   it was a tough decision.  Juulsen is gone.  Time to move on.  Wait until the expansion draft hits..... 

Very happy to hear Perry cleared waivers. My heart skipped a beat when I read the most recent headline. I’d be happy to have him around for the year, in whatever capacity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Very happy to hear Perry cleared waivers. My heart skipped a beat when I read the most recent headline. I’d be happy to have him around for the year, in whatever capacity. 

Agreed ... somewhat surprised nobody was interested

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... somewhat surprised nobody was interested

He is on his last legs and will be retired soon-ish, so am more disappointed than surprised no other team grabbed him.

1 minute ago, DON said:

He is on his last legs and will be retired soon-ish, so am more disappointed than surprised no other team grabbed him.

Time will tell ... as long as Julien doesn't overuse him, in both games played and role, I think he can be a VERY useful piece.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Time will tell ... as long as Julien doesn't overuse him, in both games played and role, I think he can be a VERY useful piece.

Really hope he is, but just doubt it will play out well, thats all. 

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Some people's last legs are still pretty good. We're not expecting him to be playing three-on-three but he is certainly still able to mix it up in the opponent's goal crease.

3 hours ago, titanfan said:

No need to be sorry for disagreeing.  So, we lost Juulsen for nothing....   Are you saying a 3rd round pick isn't better?

If the option was Juulsen or Kulak on waivers (it is one of those two or Mete), then isn't a 3rd round pick better than nothing?

Juulsen could turn out to be a solid D-man.  Kulak might just have had a one and done good season.  Only way we'll know is to let it play out.

I would have liked to see what Juulsen could do.  Same for Mete, although he has had the ice time to show us a lot so far.  The thing is I believe Mete is claimed, guaranteed.  No guarantee Kulak would have been claimed, and his salary would have given us cap relief.

You can argue the 3rd round pick all you want (is he worth a 2nd?) but either way under the current scenario we got NOTHING!  And we still have a cap problem.

I'm saying that I'd rather keep Kulak and lose Juulsen for nothing, than lose Kulak for a draft pick. 

Kulak is a better player right now than Juulsen is ever going to be IMO>

Kulak absolutely would have been claimed, there are teams out there who know the analytics and see his worth.  If Juulsen didn't clear, there is absolutely a 0% chance that Kulak would have cleared. 

You are massively underestimating Kulak here, who is the third best D on this team.

At Kulak's salary he is a damn bargain, and you aren't on January 12th, cgoing to find a better player than him for the same money, so clearing that cap space is of no interest to me.

Kulak is a key part of this current team.  Juulsen isn't and may never be.  That's the bottom line here. 

Considering that his solid numbers are over both seasons with us, its also highly unlikely he is a one year wonder of a player.

• Upvote 1

Some of our capable players need to be on their last legs. Otherwise, we’ll never win a cup. 

17 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Some of our capable players need to be on their last legs. Otherwise, we’ll never win a cup. 

What's appealing about Perry is his rep as being a really unpleasant SOB to play against. That seems to fit the modus operandi that Bergevin has gone with...a critical mass of guys who just drive the opposition bananas. Of course, in order to be an effective agitator/grinder, he still has to be able to play a certain number of minutes on a semi-regular basis. But his value, such as it is, will probably be most obvious during the playoffs, which is when guys on their last legs often find another gear.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Some people's last legs are still pretty good. We're not expecting him to be playing three-on-three but he is certainly still able to mix it up in the opponent's goal crease.

Screw that, had enough of the Semin/Hemsky/Gonchar/Ott's of the league.

But, most seem quite pleased he is signed and is no risk add-on, so i shouldnt whine too much.:popcorn:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Kulak is a better player right now than Juulsen is ever going to be IMO>

Kulak absolutely would have been claimed, there are teams out there who know the analytics and see his worth.  If Juulsen didn't clear, there is absolutely a 0% chance that Kulak would have cleared.

I'll agree that "Kulak is a better player right now than Juulsen is probably ever going to be". Juulsen is still young, and may yet improve significantly, though at this point the probability is not so high -- likely Ikonen's chances are better, but both are risky.

So, given that we needed to make a choice, Kulak was the right choice. If Florida ends up waiving Juulsen later onin the season, we'll see what the situation is at that point.

4 hours ago, titanfan said:

I think Byron and Kulak are both highly underrated.  The point is the team had to gamble on their 3rd pairing of defence.  Could they get cap relief by sending Kulak to the Taxi squad?  Yes.  Would he have been picked?  Not sure because of his cap hit.

Is Kulak better than Juulsen today?  Yes.

We still lost Juulsen for nothing.  So, we lost the gamble.....

If Kulak got picked up, we would have lost too.  But, at least we'd be cap compliant....

so if Kulak is better then Juulsen today and Juulsen was picked up where does that leave the habs? in the same boat minus the better player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

well Perry and Frolik cleared...

really surprised OTT didnt pick him up with 11MIL in space

Ottawa, like most teams this season, have internal caps.  Ottawa has been criticized in the past for having an internal cap outside of this year’s cap situation.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

well Perry and Frolik cleared...

really surprised OTT didnt pick him up with 11MIL in space

Ottawa has about 5 spare forwards to begin with (even after losing Balcers today) so they were never going to be in the market for claiming a forward.

When we get into a tight checking playoff game, you know where they collapse to the net and push us outside?

Dress Perry

if we need a net presence, dress Perry. He is impossible to move and if you get chippy then he crushes you. One of the best tipper/deflectors in the game. 

Manage his minutes and we will love him. He was great in the playoffs this year 

IN THE HEARTS OF MEN if you think Byron's speed is elite check his shooting % and compare it with some of the top snipers in the league.   Byron's S% is actually on par with or better than Ovechkin, Pastrnak, Stamkos, etc.  There aren't many players that play 12-15 mins/game that can score 20 goals/yr, and for that reason I consider Byron to be a special player. 

I'm glad to see there are a few others that like Byron, because as pro Byron fans we are in the vast minority here.  Ironically, I can agree with numerous issues the anti-Byron peeps say, but I certainly would not get rid of him.

It sucks that the Habs lost Juulsen and that likely only happened due to Flor nabbing the Habs scout who drafted him.

I'm glad to see Frolik and Perry cleared waivers.  Even just 1 season with Perry should reap long term benefits for the Habs because he will teach Anderson and Gallagher numerous tricks that they will continue to use for years.

The Habs signing Frolik seemed sorta weird, but he should help the PK and he already knows numerous Habs.  Frolik is Czech so he knows Tartar, he played with Chiarot in Winnipeg, and he knows Drouin and has practiced with him because he trains in Montreal in the off seasons and has the same trainer. 

8 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

IN THE HEARTS OF MEN if you think Byron's speed is elite check his shooting % and compare it with some of the top snipers in the league.   Byron's S% is actually on par with or better than Ovechkin, Pastrnak, Stamkos, etc.  There aren't many players that play 12-15 mins/game that can score 20 goals/yr, and for that reason I consider Byron to be a special player. 

I'm glad to see there are a few others that like Byron, because as pro Byron fans we are in the vast minority here.  Ironically, I can agree with numerous issues the anti-Byron peeps say, but I certainly would not get rid of him ... 

I think many of those/us who consider trading/losing Byron to be a viable option are not in any way unappreciative of his skills and contributions ... it is an issue of the cap-era by which a player's value is not solely judged by his skill and performance but also by how he fits in the team's cap structure ... in a flat-cap world his $3.4 million contract on the Habs 4th line may be problematic ... iIf the Habs lost PB on waivers I would understand why he was waived and appreciate the added freedom under the cap ... but I would definitely miss the player

30 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs signing Frolik seemed sorta weird, but he should help the PK and he already knows numerous Habs.  Frolik is Czech so he knows Tartar, he played with Chiarot in Winnipeg, and he knows Drouin and has practiced with him because he trains in Montreal in the off seasons and has the same trainer. 

He is Czech indeed -- but Tatar is Slovak, so I don't think they know each other from back home, they played on different teams in different leagues, and on opposing national teams.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He is Czech indeed -- but Tatar is Slovak, so I don't think they know each other from back home, they played on different teams in different leagues, and on opposing national teams.

Hmm, you are right.  I definitely read an article where Frolik mentioned that he knew Tatar.  They are close in age so maybe he was referring to them playing against each other in Worlds and in Jr when they were young. 

28 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, you are right.  I definitely read an article where Frolik mentioned that he knew Tatar.  They are close in age so maybe he was referring to them playing against each other in Worlds and in Jr when they were young. 

That could well be, yes!