Game 1 COVID edition: Canadiens @ Maple Leafs

TurdBurglar

41 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

One game, after no pre-season games. No cause for panic yet. Armia, Danault and Gallagher will pick up their games, hopefully quickly.

I complain about Armia all the time. He is a good player but he is an offensive black hole. Please get him away from kk and Toffoli. 

I would explore swapping Armia and Gallagher 

Bigger context is indeed this was game one. Refs were crap for both teams and we were playing the favourites to come in first   

I would like to see more physical play

11 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Romanov is a keeper 

Just shy of 23 minutes... 2nd most on habs behind weber

Well, he had 21:30 and more than 2 minutes less than Petry

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And Drouin was a POS. I make a point of never expecting anything from him, so no surprise there.

3 points as a piece of shite though.

10 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Special teams kills us tonight... not good  considering we have 3 top PP teams in our division as per LY

2 for 3 on the PP, awesome start!

And 2 for 4 on the PK not so good, but give any team a 5 on 3 and bit hard to defend. 

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I complain about Armia all the time. He is a good player but he is an offensive black hole. Please get him away from kk and Toffoli.

I'll just note that the offensive black hole did score 17 goals last season in spite of missing 20% of the season, behind only Gallagher, Danault and Domi.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s the risk, when you want a “heavier” team. Take dumb unnecessary penalties.  Anderson took a dumb one.  No reason for Chariot, who is our top pairing dman, trade off with a 4th liner for 5min.

I would take that aggressive play from Anderson every game, he likely only gets called 50% of that play, he simply overpowered d-man who tried to hold him up from puck and was falling to begin with...it seemed anyways.

People want Perry to duke it out in front of net, why not Chiarot? Any fighting is childish and should be instant ejection, suspension and fine, but some (most?) seem to love it.

If that is your worst whines, game went OK.

38 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

32-14 in hits...according to NHL.com, but hits seem another poorly tracked stat, take with grain of salt, but Habs were for sure the more physical team.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Please get black hole Armia away from KK. 

Toffoli and KK looked good but Armia was absent. I’ll take Perry or Byron I’ll even take Frolik ...

42 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would take him out and add  Perry to that line. Would add net presence to it.

IMO, a regular spot on that line is too much to ask of a 35 yr-old who played less than 12 minutes per game at even strength for Dallas last season and scored 4 even strength goals ... could be a good idea for a few shots in some games or maybe even in certain games ... but not full-time.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

People want Perry to duke it out in front of net, why not Chiarot? Any fighting is childish and should be instant ejection, suspension and fine, but some (most?) seem to love it.

I would want to see Perry using his body to create chaos in front of the net, not dropping his gloves.

Simmonds provoked Chiarot into the fight, and it worked out for the Leafs, not so much for us. I don't think Julien was one of the people who loved it.

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would explore swapping Armia and Gallagher ...

If Armia is an offensive blackhole why saddle Danault and Tartar with him?
It is too early to be shaking up the lines.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DON said:

I would take that aggressive play from Anderson every game, he likely only gets called 50% of that play, he simply overpowered d-man who tried to hold him up from puck and was falling to begin with...it seemed anyways.

If that is your worst whines, game went OK.

Yep, I think denouncing Anderson’s penalty as “dumb” is a bit over the top. Penalties are gonna happen; a call should not mean instant denunciation just because a guy plays a power game. Anderson had two goals and was a force all night. It seems silly to focus on two PIM. Indeed, Suzuki’s penalty was much costlier (and dumber), and Weber was the guy who shot the puck into the bench to make a 5-on-3.

As for Anderson, his highest PIM total was 89 some years ago, and he had 60 in his 27-goal season. He does not have a track record of huge PIM numbers. There seems to be no particular reason to fret that he is going to chronically get “dumb penalties,” other than the fact that he’s a power forward.  Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

As for Armia, last night wasn’t vintage, but he has merit and can score some goals. Not sure why we’d crap on him either. Lehkonen is far more of an “offensive black hole” IMHO.

There are going to be some oddities early in the season due to lack of exhibition seasons. Vets like Gally may sputter a bit out of the gate. The only one I’m really worried about is Edmunson, who I maintain looked terrible and was on the ice for what, two goals against? He’d better figure it out or he will slither down the depth chart real fast, like Alzner did.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Danault’s line is more of a checking line that can score a bit - at least that is what it looks like their role is this year   Armia is a solid 2 way player 

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

TO took over toward the end of the game. Didn't like that. Really bad luck on the tying goal - which sucks, and explains more than anything else why we lost. In a close game, breaks matter.

Romanov looked GREAT. As others, that mid-seam pass was pure Markov, or Subban. It's a long time since we've seen that. I have a thing for smart, skating defencemen, so I expect to be a fan of his by the end of the season. That said, I worry that the coaches will make too much of "risky plays" and whittle away his confidence. I expect his game to drop off perhaps around the 15-20-game mark.

Anderson looked like a BEAST!! He's like MaxPac blasting past D on the outside, but plays with an edge MaxPac never had. Bergevin looks like a genius right now for that deal.

Toffoli is no speedster (he looks oddly like Ryder out there) but he's smart and effective. 40-50 points.

Suzuki continues to make strides. That play in the third was absolutely unreal.

KK had moments, but I'd like to see a little bit more "oomph."

The big dud for me was Edmunson. Maybe he just needs time to get comfortable, but TBH the game just looked too fast for him.

And Drouin was a POS. I make a point of never expecting anything from him, so no surprise there.

3 assists (2 of them primary). I hope hes a POS every game.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would explore swapping Armia and Gallagher 

Bigger context is indeed this was game one. Refs were crap for both teams and we were playing the favourites to come in first   

Danaults line has been successful and one of the top lines in hockey for 2 years.

Danault (not KK) will also play against the other teams top line.  This means they will always get a ton of ES minutes.

Id leave gallagher there cause swapping them means less minutes for gallagher and more for Armia.

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Danault’s line is more of a checking line that can score a bit - at least that is what it looks like their role is this year   Armia is a solid 2 way player 

Their role (playing against the other teams top line) has not changed.  They have excelled in that role and been able to provide offence while shutting down top lines.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Their role (playing against the other teams top line) has not changed.  They have excelled in that role and been able to provide offence while shutting down top lines.

It seems to me that their role is slightly changed. They were relied upon to play the toughest minutes and produce the most offence. 

It sure looks like the role of offence has been given to KK and Suzuki. Sure we want scoring from all lines but primary responsibility for Danault is shutdown top lines. 

Armia is built for that role. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It seems to me that their role is slightly changed. They were relied upon to play the toughest minutes and produce the most offence. 

It sure looks like the role of offence has been given to KK and Suzuki. Sure we want scoring from all lines but primary responsibility for Danault is shutdown top lines. 

Armia is built for that role. 

The 5v5 game has not changed.  They are still going to play the same number of minutes and against the same opposition 5v5.  We aren't asking them to be more defensive than they were, cause they were already the #1 defensive line.... its the same role and they should be doing the same things offensively 5v5. 

No reason to break that line up after 1 game, and no reason to give Armia more minutes than Gallagher.  

Gallagher and Tatar are on that line cause Danault is always going to get the most 5v5 minutes. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Black hole is the wrong expression. Armia can score but not at a pace that is suitable for a scoring line. 

Are Toffoli and KK scorers or 2 way players!

Armia had 17 goals last year.  More than suitable for a scoring line. (shortened season plus injuries) he was on a ~20 goal 45 point pace.  This is fine for the third line which is going to get nice matchups as well, as other teams will focus on the Suzuki line, and Danault will play top lines.

You also keep ignoring the fact that Danault will get more minutes than KK. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Did talking heads say Matthews hasnt scored vs Habs in over 2 years now? If so, kudos to Danault well deserved for sure.

Matthews played 25+minutes yesterday, isnt that a crazy amount for a forward in game #1?

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Commandant everything you say is true and reasonable. 

I suppose I was expecting KK line to be relied on for more scoring this year. Not a change to Danault line but a change to KK line I suppose. 

I don’t want a checker on a scoring line

I just don't see Armia as solely a checker.    He scored 17 last year.  He was also a very important player in the playoffs, playing on our best line with Drouin and Suzuki.  He went to the net, forechecked hard, dug pucks out of corners and did an important role on that line.  Obviously Anderson is better and that is why he is on that line now, but there is no reason why Armia's role with Toffoli and KK can't be the same as it was with Suzuki and Drouin.  Do the board work, cause traffic in front of the net, retrieve loose pucks, forecheck.  That's an offensive role too and one he's good at.