2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

On the DoPS front, I think they hurt their cause with the ridiculous (and frankly, embarrassing) campaign they launched to try to get Niskanen suspended in the bubble.  They've kept it up this year with the public comments looking for suspensions, a strategy that will never work and I'd imagine they've lost the benefit of the doubt.

That's an entirely different department than the war room though.

But the same employer ... and possibly the same old-boys-network

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

NHL is a joke. The call against the Habs last game is so extraordinarily bad that I found myself wondering whether Bergevin or Molson or Julien or *someone* has offended the powers that be, because some kind irrational anti-Hab hate-on seemed to be the only explanation. However, when dealing with this league, incompetence is usually the better explanation. Occam’s Razor.

Hmm .... bad goal when it’s against Toronto, ...good goal for Toronto, .... both call benefit the leafs... isn’t the war room in Toronto??? I suppose NTC suggesting this,I’m leaving myself open to being labeled a conspiracy theorist.  You know what I’m good with that!

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

NHL is a joke. The call against the Habs last game is so extraordinarily bad that I found myself wondering whether Bergevin or Molson or Julien or *someone* has offended the powers that be, because some kind irrational anti-Hab hate-on seemed to be the only explanation. However, when dealing with this league, incompetence is usually the better explanation. Occam’s Razor.

Past a certain point, it is almost impossible to distinguish between incompetence and malice. ~an interpretation of Hanlon’s Razor 

just a random thought :)

with last night game (on new 110%: Anitchambre they said) Habs have had 7 penalties for tossing pucks up in the bleachers.

Does any1 think spending a period almost in the sinbin for rubber for empty seats is something? it is a 57 game season, seems kinda high less then 20 games in, no? 

26 minutes ago, ehjay said:

just a random thought :)

with last night game (on new 110%: Anitchambre they said) Habs have had 7 penalties for tossing pucks up in the bleachers.

Does any1 think spending a period almost in the sinbin for rubber for empty seats is something? it is a 57 game season, seems kinda high less then 20 games in, no? 

That rule is typical of the NHL. Refs used to have discretion to determine whether it was a deliberate delay of game. But NHL refs are often bungling dummies and discretionary calls are often controversial. So the NHL geniuses implement a foolproof “automatic” penalty. And the result is that a completely accidental play, like Weber whacking the puck in the air last night, leads to a penalty.

If they could trust their refs to use intelligent levels of discretion, none of this stupidity would be required.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That rule is typical of the NHL. Refs used to have discretion to determine whether it was a deliberate delay of game. But NHL refs are often bungling dummies and discretionary calls are often controversial. So the NHL geniuses implement a foolproof “automatic” penalty. And the result is that a completely accidental play, like Weber whacking the puck in the air last night, leads to a penalty.

If they could trust their refs to use intelligent levels of discretion, none of this stupidity would be required.

When refs had discretion players almost had to pick up the puck and throw it into the stands to get a penalty ... and the calls were even more inconsistent than current goalie interference ... but the rule may need a tweak ... maybe the first in a game is treated like an icing ... no change and mandate that the face-off be done ASAP (maximum penalty for the transgressing team) ... maybe the first two ... but IMO it can't go back to the default "dump it over the boards" choice of olden times

• Like 1

I'd be very fine with treating  over the boards just like icings.   Faceoff in your zone,  no change up, no timeout allowed for your team.  The penalty is, IMO, unnecessery.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd rather have it black and white. NHL Officiating is to damn subjective as it is. Bump the goalie - automatic goaltender interference.  I have zero faith in the NHL officials making the right judgment call in real-time game situation.  Hey the war room and DOPS can't even consistently get a goal call right after video review, or consistently hand out a suspension for similar plays.  We have very stupid people in charge of discipline. officiating and player safety.  Make things automatic and take the decision out of the monkey's hands. If a player knows he is going to be called for bumping a goalie EVERY TIME he does it, he'll stop.  The over the glass penalty may be accidental, but it is a lazy penalty.  I have less issue with that being called than the 20 other non-calls or blown calls in the game.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'd rather have it black and white. NHL Officiating is to damn subjective as it is. Bump the goalie - automatic goaltender interference.  I have zero faith in the NHL officials making the right judgment call in real-time game situation.  Hey the war room and DOPS can't even consistently get a goal call right after video review, or consistently hand out a suspension for similar plays.  We have very stupid people in charge of discipline. officiating and player safety.  Make things automatic and take the decision out of the monkey's hands. If a player knows he is going to be called for bumping a goalie EVERY TIME he does it, he'll stop.  The over the glass penalty may be accidental, but it is a lazy penalty.  I have less issue with that being called than the 20 other non-calls or blown calls in the game.

It would be interesting to have the AHL, or CHL, experiment with the international crease rule (step in the blue and play is stopped and the face-off is outside the zone, unless the puck is there) ... IMO it would greatly reduce controversy ... to offset the advantage to the goaltender get harsher with cross-checks on players legally standing in front of the goaltender

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, GHT120 said:

It would be interesting to have the AHL, or CHL, experiment with the international crease rule (step in the blue and play is stopped and the face-off is outside the zone, unless the puck is there) ... IMO it would greatly reduce controversy ... to offset the advantage to the goaltender get harsher with cross-checks on players legally standing in front of the goaltender

I would add slaching too, my ancles still hurt 30+ yrs later lollll

On 2/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, GHT120 said:

Remember the days of long video replay reviews and goals disallowed because a skate was an eighth of a millimeter inside the blue paint?

We don’t need that crap again. 

We simply need enforced rules with consistency and as long as the league hires old boys it won’t change. 

Consistent rules is all the players want

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Remember the days of long video replay reviews and goals disallowed because a skate was an eighth of a millimeter inside the blue paint?

We don’t need that crap again. 

We simply need enforced rules with consistency and as long as the league hires old boys it won’t change. 

Consistent rules is all the players want

And skate in the crease whistle play dead would be far more consistent than the goalie interference reviews that are seemingly entirely subjective ... no matter who is making the decision

The Habs have to turn on the television, and watch how other teams crush the Sens.

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The Habs have to turn on the television, and watch how other teams crush the Sens.

And also take note how same team gets blown out 6-1 BY the Sens in game before.

And taking them too lightly (as did with Red Wings last year) can be costly.

Binnington has a bad night ...

The Sens doing a good job of keeping the Flames in the bottom three.

We only have to finish in the top four with our squad supposedly built for the playoffs.  I don't think seedings matter that much because any matchup will be tough but winnable.

13 minutes ago, Neech said:

The Sens doing a good job of keeping the Flames in the bottom three.

We only have to finish in the top four with our squad supposedly built for the playoffs.  I don't think seedings matter that much because any matchup will be tough but winnable.

Agree, it's not like home ice advantage is a big deal as the crowds will be quiet, you just have to make the playoffs. Great job by the Sens, they will be a little comfortable and tired coming into Montreal tomorrow.  Great set up for the Habs. They are due for a win and will come through. I guarantee a Habs win tomorrow night, time to win one for the new coach.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Guarantee, sounds good.

Yup, GUARANTEED!  If the Habs lose tomorrow night then I am very concerned but no worries, the Habs come through tomorrow night. They deserved a better fate against Winnipeg, they will come up with a good effort tomorrow and will be rewarded this time. 

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree, it's not like home ice advantage is a big deal as the crowds will be quiet, you just have to make the playoffs. Great job by the Sens, they will be a little comfortable and tired coming into Montreal tomorrow.  Great set up for the Habs. They are due for a win and will come through. I guarantee a Habs win tomorrow night, time to win one for the new coach.

I hope you are right 🙌

I watched the Sens relentlessly forecheck the flames into oblivion last night, just like they do against us. 

14 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hope you are right 🙌

I watched the Sens relentlessly forecheck the flames into oblivion last night, just like they do against us. 

I hope I am right too. Surely Carey Price can outduel Joey Daccord??

On 2/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I played a few games of hockey in Europe, (Germany, Switzerland, and France) in 2005 and shooting the puck over the boards was a delay of game penalty in all 3 countries. I remember our coaches warning us before the game to be careful,  and make sure to hit the glass when clearing our zone.

This was before the rule was in the NHL, so we had no experience with it. Soon afterward, the rule was implemented in the NHL as well, but it existed elsewhere beforehand.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not too surprising: Flames fire head coach Geoff Ward.

Very surprising: Flames give Darryl Sutter a three-year contract as their new head coach.

Very surprising ... to me it reeks of desperation ... bring in the Alberta-hero, VETERAN coach with two Cup wins  ... in the 32 years since their Cup win the Flames have missed the playoffs or exited on the first round 27 times ... Treliving is coming up on his 7th anniversary as Flames GM ... would think he may be feeling his seat warmer kicking in ... wonder if this makes them more or less likely to make deals?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic