2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I actually like a broader lottery that rewards teams that still try.  Buffalo in the McDavid draft and toronto in the Matthews drafts intentionally were icing AHL quality teams for the lottery.  Should not be having a higher chance of best player in that situation. It’s sucks that oilers win the McDavid draft, but it’s worse when Toronto was rewarded for the obvious Matthews tank.

I could also live with more teams having a shot ... although I do quite like the "10 spots" concept (essentially leaves only teams near to making the playoffs out of the top picks) ... but something more has to be done to NOT continuously reward futility/stupidity/incompetence. 

Starting 2010 through 2016 the Oilers drafted 1st - 1st - 1st - 7th - 3rd - 1st - 4th  ...  under the new system they would still have drafted 1st (Hall) and 1st) Nugent-Hopkins ... then 3rd (???), 7th (Nurse), 3rd (Draisaitl), 1st (McDavid) and 3rs (Puljujarvi) ... ??? could have been Galchenyuk, Reinhart, Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg ... THAT is ridiculous ... the new system does noting to prevent that horrendous abuse of the draft concept and actually might gave helped them by saving them from drafting Yakupov  

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I could also live with more teams having a shot ... although I do quite like the "10 spots" concept (essentially leaves only teams near to making the playoffs out of the top picks) ... but something more has to be done to NOT continuously reward futility/stupidity/incompetence. 

Starting 2010 through 2016 the Oilers drafted 1st - 1st - 1st - 7th - 3rd - 1st - 4th  ...  under the new system they would still have drafted 1st (Hall) and 1st) Nugent-Hopkins ... then 3rd (???), 7th (Nurse), 3rd (Draisaitl), 1st (McDavid) and 3rs (Puljujarvi) ... ??? could have been Galchenyuk, Reinhart, Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba, Trouba or Forsberg ... THAT is ridiculous ... the new system does noting to prevent that horrendous abuse of the draft concept and actually might gave helped them by saving them from drafting Yakupov  

One thing to note... being 1st because another team outside the top 11 won a spot (which happened with some of the Oilers #1 picks), is not considered "Winning" the lottery here that prevents you from winning in future years. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

One thing to note... being 1st because another team outside the top 11 won a spot (which happened with some of the Oilers #1 picks), is not considered "Winning" the lottery here that prevents you from winning in future years. 

Another omission/weakness IMO ...  my issue is not (IMO) that a team could finish in 16th place every year, win the lottery every year and draft 6th, but that a team could have a run like Edmonton did (unless it is the Habs of course).

Obviously nowhere else to put this but wish me luck as I play former Hab David Ling in game 1 of the semi-finals of my beer league tonight. Believe it or not he still played pro until a couple years ago

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, illWill said:

Obviously nowhere else to put this but wish me luck as I play former Hab David Ling in game 1 of the semi-finals of my beer league tonight. Believe it or not he still played pro until a couple years ago

Do The Thing!!! :)

52 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/report-league-looking-into-hot-mic-in-nashville-predators-game-1.1612579%3Ftsn-amp

Proof of how corrupt NHL officials are.   Also exhibit A on why refs need to have accountability for their decision.  

Not corrupt ... that would mean getting paid off or receiving some other personal gain for calling penalties

Referees in all sports manage games ... so this is hardly a surprise.

Before getting too upset I would want to know what was going on in the game ... did Nashville get away with an obvious penalty that infuriated the Red Wings late in the first, or was Nashville just chippy throughout the first, and the ref was looking to settle down the game and stop it from escalating.

If it was just something personal (e.g., a Pred mouthed off at him at the end of the first period) then I have a serious issue with it ... OR ... if it was just to "balance" the number of penalties then I also have a serious issue ... but in isolation the clip tells us nothing IMO

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not corrupt ... that would mean getting paid off or receiving some other personal gain for calling penalties

Referees in all sports manage games ... so this is hardly a surprise.

Thank you. "Corrupt" is used by a lot of people very loosely these days. The refs may be managing, or biased, or vengeful, or incompetent, but I don't see any evidence of actual corruption.

NHL acts quickly ... either the background was a legit issue, not just managing ... OR ... the PR impact of his stupidity of saying it with an open mic was just too great to ignore ... he made the playoffs cutoff last season but was gone by the Conference Finals (he was the standby).

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

NHL acts quickly ... either the background was a legit issue, not just managing ... OR ... the PR impact of his stupidity of saying it with an open mic was just too great to ignore ... he made the playoffs cutoff last season but was gone by the Conference Finals (he was the standby).

Will this lead to consistently enforcing the rules across all refs or is this just a sweep it under the rug situation because they are embarrassed?

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Will this lead to consistently enforcing the rules across all refs or is this just a sweep it under the rug situation because they are embarrassed?

Is that a serious question? Because all I see is a knee-jerk PR reaction.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Refs do what owners want them to do and in general call what they owners want called for the moment. But, the bar is always changing, depending on owners whims or their reactions to PR issues.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Thank you. "Corrupt" is used by a lot of people very loosely these days. The refs may be managing, or biased, or vengeful, or incompetent, but I don't see any evidence of actual corruption.

Corrupt also means improper conduct, it doesn’t necessarily have to have to be bribery.  The personal gain in this case could also be the power trip that he is the law.  

I wonder how things will change after this incident.  Tim Peel is canned, but surely this isn’t the end of it.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

... I wonder how things will change after this incident.  Tim Peel is canned, but surely this isn’t the end of it.

They won't ... other than making certain there are no open microphones anywhere near referees

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

broom-sweeping-gif-3.gif

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

3 hours ago, huzer said:

But an easy knee-jerk, since he was set to retire this year anyway.

Exactly ... the league that lets Ovie slice&dice a guys' "privates" takes 10 seconds to decide to get rid of a ref not because of what he said (ALL the refs do what he did, for various reasons) but because he got caught

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Everything this league has ever done had always been a knee jerk reaction.

• Upvote 1

Habs playoff chance went up with Flame loss yesterday 2 days ago 97.3%.:thumbs_up:

Now if can just avoid any big slumps in 2nd half.

123g for Tampa, havent followed american hockey teams much, but Tampa again doing great it seems.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic