2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2173952/amp

What a dumpster fire Columbus has become. Tortarella wanted out after last season, and they kept him around and let him run the team into the ground. It's one thing to talk him out of it because he has gotten the best results of any coach they've had. But when he is at the center of a bunch of drama and the team is playing terrible? To expect players to continue buying into a coach who doesn't even want to be there? No excuse to not let him go during the season. 

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with every word of this. But "local affections" still have to bracketed by a baseline commitment to being reasonable. Expecting the 2021 Habs to have a half-dozen francophones is not reasonable; it's just plain stupid.

Local affections also have to be bracketed by a baseline commitment to justice, fairness, and inclusion - which is also something Quebec is having a problem with, given its current legislated discrimination against religious minorities. But that discussion takes us beyond a hockey site to be sure!

Agreed CC and I am not a fan of this government telling us how to dress. And you are of course right about putting together a team with what is actually available. Cheers. 

On 5/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, DON said:

Keep up the good work sir!

Yourself and Trizzak really do make me chuckle often, wish i was just half as witty...someday when i grow up maybe?

Cheers.

Thanks Don but have no fear. I am a half wit. And no one is still hoping I'll grow up at this point. :-) 

Canes look really solid - I know it’s against an average nashville team, but the canes have a good mix of talent and skil. I really wish we had offered a more legit offer sheet for Aho!

Hall’s goal tonight is an example of the the difference between the the finish an elite skill player brings than shooting in the breadbasket or chest by a Lekhonan/Armia playing too high in the lineup in past years, or even a Tatar type of skilled player. Hopefully Caufield will be finishing like this in the future!

I have really enjoyed watching the Colorado - St. Louis series as the Avs are really entertaining but they will pay a price as St. Louis plays a such a  tough physical playoff brand of hockey which was obviously very successful a couple years ago but they just aren't good enough now to beat at the Avs.

I do get tired of Pierre McGuire doing colour.  How can anyone say that Nathan Mackinnon is without a doubt the best player in the NHL?? Just because McDavid gets shut down one game by a hot goalie?  MacKinnon is absolutely terrific without a doubt, 2nd best player in my opinion but how quickly he puts people ahead of McDavid.  If the Habs change GM's I pray McGuire isn't part of the conversation. 

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Canes look really solid - I know it’s against an average nashville team, but the canes have a good mix of talent and skil. I really wish we had offered a more legit offer sheet for Aho!

Hall’s goal tonight is an example of the the difference between the the finish an elite skill player brings than shooting in the breadbasket or chest by a Lekhonan/Armia playing too high in the lineup in past years, or even a Tatar type of skilled player. Hopefully Caufield will be finishing like this in the future!

As I noted earlier in this thread, I have a completely irrational “feeling” about the Canes. 

As for Aho, that was a completely asinine move by Bergevin. If you’re going for it, then go for it. Imagine Aho in the lineup right tonight? Sigh. 

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I noted earlier in this thread, I have a completely irrational “feeling” about the Canes. 

As for Aho, that was a completely asinine move by Bergevin. If you’re going for it, then go for it. Imagine Aho in the lineup right tonight? Sigh. 

He would sit so Staal could play

26 minutes ago, illWill said:

No, we wouldn't have half the team we have because I suppose the correct offer sheet to the experts would have been over 10m and a loss of draft picks

Agreed, Aho would be great to have,  but the loss of draft picks and cap space would have been significant. For one thing there would not have been the cap space to sign Toffoli which has turned about to be a fantastic signing. 

45 minutes ago, illWill said:

No, we wouldn't have half the team we have because I suppose the correct offer sheet to the experts would have been over 10m and a loss of draft picks

We'd have no Caufield, no Ghule and probably no Toffoli. 

Different moves could have been made instead of the ones who were  ie  Domi vs Anderson

Look at it this way. For Carolina not to match, the Habs would have had to offer at least 10M/year. What would you have rather have?   Sebastian Aho @  10M/year   or  Tyler Toffoli @ 4.5M/Year,  5.5 Million in cap space and 1st round picks in 2020 and 2021.  Now if they went a little higher it would have been 4  1st round picks.  Bergevin took a shot and it didn't work out (except for Aho who got a decent contract), I don't criticize him for trying. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Jackets promote from within, hiring Brad Larsen as coach. What an absolutely terrible move for a team that so desperately needed a culture change.

I'm not shocked with that one.  This is a team heading for a rebuild and not a lot of established coaches want to be a part of that.  Larsen feels like a transition hire, one that's cheap and can get them through the tough times and then when it's time to compete again, they'll bring someone else in.

3 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Jackets promote from within, hiring Brad Larsen as coach. What an absolutely terrible move for a team that so desperately needed a culture change.

Seems to me that the culture change won't happen until Kekelainen is fired.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not shocked with that one.  This is a team heading for a rebuild and not a lot of established coaches want to be a part of that.  Larsen feels like a transition hire, one that's cheap and can get them through the tough times and then when it's time to compete again, they'll bring someone else in.

That's a fair point. While I know a rebuild is coming, there was still a part of me wanting to believe hiring the right coach would reinvigorate Seth Jones and get Patrik Laine excited.

Also, I was really hoping that they'd get Don Granato out of Buffalo. He was an original member of the Chill and their last coach. He was on such a great trajectory before his bout with cancer and it took him a long time to rebuild his career to being talked about for NHL head coaching positions. I realize his name was never linked to the job, but I was hoping that just meant it would be a good surprise.

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Seems to me that the culture change won't happen until Kekelainen is fired.

If there is a culture problem not certain Jarmo is the cause ... he was hired midway through their 13th season, which was their 12th out of the playoffs ... since then, in a non-prime NHL market, they've made the playoffs 5 out of 8 seasons ... 4 of the last 5 ... he rebuilt the team once and if I were a CBJ fan I would want to give him the chance to do so again ... 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If there is a culture problem not certain Jarmo is the cause ... he was hired midway through their 13th season, which was their 12th out of the playoffs ... since then, in a non-prime NHL market, they've made the playoffs 5 out of 8 seasons ... 4 of the last 5 ... he rebuilt the team once and if I were a CBJ fan I would want to give him the chance to do so again ... 

He builds winning teams and then can't keep them together. There was an Athletic article where former Blue Jackets hinted that Kekelainen's methods don't inspire loyalty to the team. His negotiating style in particular builds a culture of resentment. All business, no humanity.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

He builds winning teams and then can't keep them together. There was an Athletic article where former Blue Jackets hinted that Kekelainen's methods don't inspire loyalty to the team. His negotiating style in particular builds a culture of resentment. All business, no humanity.

I saw the headline for that article, but forgot to ask of anyone on here could give me a summary. I was still on board with Jarmo until I found out that Torts wanted out last year and they wouldn't agree to part ways with him. This season was doomed as soon as that decision was made.

I hated the Torts hire from the start, so I have always been quick to blame him for players wanting out. But looking back, it seems like a lot of issues actually started with contract negotiations. Torts was really hard on Ryan Johansen, but that was after a contentious contract negotiation. Josh Anderson soured after a contract situation. Pierre-Luc Dubois. Even Werenski has been up and down after a difficult contract negotiation. But nobody who has left actually seems to have anything bad to say about Torts.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I saw the headline for that article, but forgot to ask of anyone on here could give me a summary. I was still on board with Jarmo until I found out that Torts wanted out last year and they wouldn't agree to part ways with him. This season was doomed as soon as that decision was made.

I hated the Torts hire from the start, so I have always been quick to blame him for players wanting out. But looking back, it seems like a lot of issues actually started with contract negotiations. Torts was really hard on Ryan Johansen, but that was after a contentious contract negotiation. Josh Anderson soured after a contract situation. Pierre-Luc Dubois. Even Werenski has been up and down after a difficult contract negotiation. But nobody who has left actually seems to have anything bad to say about Torts.

I feel for you brother. Jackets are a real mess and I don’t see a way out that doesn’t include a housecleaning and restart and that doesn’t appear to be happening 

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I saw the headline for that article, but forgot to ask of anyone on here could give me a summary. I was still on board with Jarmo until I found out that Torts wanted out last year and they wouldn't agree to part ways with him. This season was doomed as soon as that decision was made ...

But who made the decision ... the GM or the owner of a team that is bottom 5 in franchise value and revenue for several years, knowing that revenue streams for 2020-21 were not likely to improve due to Covid.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But who made the decision ... the GM or the owner of a team that is bottom 5 in franchise value and revenue for several years, knowing that revenue streams for 2020-21 were not likely to improve due to Covid.

Sure, there was some risk of having to pay two coaches. But after how fast Torts seems to get jobs, I doubt he was going to be out of work for long. I doubt he tries to leave if he wasn't confident of getting another job right away.

3 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Sure, there was some risk of having to pay two coaches. But after how fast Torts seems to get jobs, I doubt he was going to be out of work for long. I doubt he tries to leave if he wasn't confident of getting another job right away.

Regardless ... it sounds to me like a budget-minded owner's type decision than a GM's.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Regardless ... it sounds to me like a budget-minded owner's type decision than a GM's.

*  Regardless * How do you know that? *  Regardless *