2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It certainly seems they read the marketplace poorly

I think "any" is harsh ... there are always GMs/coaches who feel that a player with skills can be "fixed" ... but I would agree that the return won't be anything to make fans forget losing Sergachev ... may even require habs to retain some caplet (say $750K - $1M to make a deal, retaining more could increase the return).

FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, I could see Edmonton being interested (this season the drop from McDavid to Draisaitl in assists was 19, the drop from there to RNH was 34 (with 19 in 52 games ... only two other forwards had 10 or more ... in 3/4 of a season this year (44 games) JD had 21 and his average is 34a/82gm with the Habs ... 

We’re talking about a player so dysfunctional (for whatever reason) that he had to take an extended leave over the stretch drive and into the playoffs. So you get a player who was never more than a #6 FW and whose erratic career has culminated in this disaster. If you’re the other team, why are you surrendering any meaningful asset for that? Maybe a 6th or 7th pick and possible salary retention. 

Now, IF Drouin were to return and play half-decently, then what you say might be correct. But right now his value is about as low as it is possible to get.

$5.5M for a 0.5 pts/game winger (with some potential upside for more) really isn't outrageously high. It's on the high side if you look at other pre-pandemic comparables, but it's not ridiculous.

Anyway, none of this will really matter until Drouin has recovered.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

$5.5M for a 0.5 pts/game winger (with some potential upside for more) really isn't outrageously high. It's on the high side if you look at other pre-pandemic comparables, but it's not ridiculous.

Anyway, none of this will really matter until Drouin has recovered.

Like Zack Kassian, Dany Heatley and Bobby Ryan can find a new lease on life... so can a healthy Drouin

I just hope he does not have a degenerative disease or the "Alexandre Daigle" predisposition

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We’re talking about a player so dysfunctional (for whatever reason) that he had to take an extended leave over the stretch drive and into the playoffs. So you get a player who was never more than a #6 FW and whose erratic career has culminated in this disaster. If you’re the other team, why are you surrendering any meaningful asset for that? Maybe a 6th or 7th pick and possible salary retention. 

Now, IF Drouin were to return and play half-decently, then what you say might be correct. But right now his value is about as low as it is possible to get.

I think we generally agree on his value ... I would perhaps expect a 5th/6th with minimal or no salary retention ... I simply felt that saying "doubt anyone will surrender any asset for Drouin" was a bit extreme ... 

Sad news:

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sounds like he actually died from taking a firework shot to the chest.  Coroner called it a “mortar shot to the chest”. 

RIP

Always sad to see a young man pass ... RIP 

Words don’t do the situation justice but it is very sad indeed. 

RIP Matiss Kivlenieks

Apparently it all happened at Goalie Coach Manny Legace's house. 

Fellow columbus goalie Elvis Merzlikins and his pregnant wife were also there and witnessed this. 

They were staying at Legace's house as they were going to Legace's daughter's wedding. 

Just awful all around. 

• Upvote 1

On a completely different note ... brother versus brother

On 7/7/2021 at 9:04 AM, GHT120 said:

On a completely different note ... brother versus brother

Strange that he is so much taller than both his brothers.

How tall was the post-man in the neighbourhood 18 years ago?

Just now, Commandant said:

Strange that he is so much taller than both his brothers.

How tall was the post-man in the neighbourhood 18 years ago?

6'7" 245 lbs.  2.7% body fat

Why?

LOL

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The postman always rang twice...

I miss the days when delivery people would ring the doorbell or knock to let you know they've been there. Especially working from home, I keep having delivered packages sitting on the porch all day just as if I was in the office and unable to bring stuff in.

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I miss the days when delivery people would ring the doorbell or knock to let you know they've been there. Especially working from home, I keep having delivered packages sitting on the porch all day just as if I was in the office and unable to bring stuff in.

I’ve had a camera lens left on the front steps in a heavy downpour😠 was not impressed, that a $3k lens would not require signature on delivery!

27 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I read that tampa took on Gaborik and Nillson contracts for litr. Other teams do this as well. Can someone explain the cap advantage to me? 

Both were acquired in deals that allowed TBL to shed salary and Brisebois didn't have to worry about the incoming player impacting their cap as they were LTIR

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Both were acquired in deals that allowed TBL to shed salary and Brisebois didn't have to worry about the incoming player impacting their cap as they were LTIR

But how does it work? 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I read that tampa took on Gaborik and Nillson contracts for litr. Other teams do this as well. Can someone explain the cap advantage to me? 

You also want to be as close to the cap as possible before using your LTIR so if this contract puts them right against the cap, its an advantage to maximize LTIR space. 

Space gained = Contract placed on LTIR - how far you are under the cap. 

So being as close to the cap as possible before  activating LTIR is important.

40 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So if you are at the cap, you can go sign 10 million in litr guys and free up an extra 10 million to go out and get someone? Does not make sense

No, if you are already at the cap there is no benefit to adding a dead salary.  You are already getting the maximum benefit of LTIR. You only bring on dead salaries to get you closer to the cap before placing people on LTIR.

Using some rounded salary values... Say Tampa was 5 million from the cap before putting 10m Kucherov on IR. They are only allowed to go 5m over the cap, since they already have 5m in cap space. So they essentially can only replace Kucherov's 10 million (5 in existing cap space + 5 million in LTIR relief).

But if you bring in Gaborik's 5m contract, suddenly you are right at the cap. You place both players on LTIR and you get the full value of their contracts in LTIR relief, since you are already at the cap. So instead of 10m cap space, you instead have 15m to spend.

All that being said, I agree that it doesn't make sense. I think it was entirely overcomplicated. LTIR players simply shouldn't count against the cap while they are on LTIR. Cut and dry.

3 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

... All that being said, I agree that it doesn't make sense. I think it was entirely overcomplicated. LTIR players simply shouldn't count against the cap while they are on LTIR. Cut and dry.

I totally agree ... it would simplify things and also address the "Kucherov" situation ... but it is part of the CBA and therefore settled until the summer of 2026 ... and even then I doubt anything changes