2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's one thing if Gardiner was on an expiring contract but he has two more years at $4.05M and has worked his way down to the 6/7 spot on the depth chart.  He's not getting claimed.

Not even from Detroit?

Just now, Trizzak said:

Not even from Detroit?

Why would Detroit do Carolina the favour?  Make them retain some money or eat a contract back.  It is very much a negative-value deal that no one should want for free even if they could afford it.

This is not the Toronto version of Gardiner here.  He is now playing less than 16 minutes a night, not producing offensively, and still can't defend.  It's a contract that the Hurricanes will have to think long and hard about buying out this summer if they're not willing to pay the high draft pick/top prospect it'd cost to offload Gardiner elsewhere.

The Hurricanes are trying to make a few additions over the next month and have aggressively been shuffling players back and forth to the taxi squad to open up extra spending room.  Gardiner is just getting added to that equation.

Leaf fans should not get too excited. The leafs may be at the top, but at the top of what?

All of the Canadian teams - including the leafs have missed the playoffs more often than made them. To see a Canadian team succeed past the second round is a rarity. The habs have second rate coaching, second rate offence, second rate defence and now second (possibly third rate) goaltending. The only question now is whether they will finish last or second last. Hard to enjoy this garbage. Whenever I get angry at the habs I put on my Nordiques hat. I’ve been wearing it alot lately.

Edited by Corn-why-eh

2 hours ago, Corn-why-eh said:

Leaf fans should not get too excited. The leafs may be at the top, but at the top of what?

All of the Canadian teams - including the leafs have missed the playoffs more often than made them. To see a Canadian team succeed past the second round is a rarity. The habs have second rate coaching, second rate offence, second rate defence and now second (possibly third rate) goaltending. The only question now is whether they will finish last or second last. Hard to enjoy this garbage. Whenever I get angry at the habs I put on my Nordiques hat. I’ve been wearing it alot lately.

how’s Colorado doing? Are they better off than the Canadian Division teams?  I have not checked, but if I remember correctly they were expected to dominate this season but struggled out of the gate 

I liked them during the playoffs last year

As a fan of the Habs since I started following them in 1981 , all I can say they are closer to competing now than they were in the last 10 to 15 years.

This year, playoff hopes were pinned on Suzuki and Kotkaniemi establishing themselves as legitimate top 6 centres at the NHL level. The rest of the team is as good as it has been since the Gainey years 

Old slow Ds, smallish forwards that disappear for stretches and unproven prospects is the constant of this team for decades 

I guess one can only be disappointed to the level of one’s expectations

9 minutes ago, Corn-why-eh said:

You are absolutely correct, you can only be disappointed to the level of your own expectations. That’s my problem. I’ve been a fan since the sixties (1960s that is, lol). So unfortunately I still look back and compare.

the Habs are nowhere near what they were in the 60s and 70s 

they are closer to the Habs of the 80s a bunch of have-beens and prospects that never pan out 

8 minutes ago, Corn-why-eh said:

You are absolutely correct, you can only be disappointed to the level of your own expectations. That’s my problem. I’ve been a fan since the sixties (1960s that is, lol). So unfortunately I still look back and compare.

My "career" began at age 10 with the first Cup versus St Louis ... therefore I was ridiculously spoiled during that period of ones life when your team's results are SOOOOOOOO important to you ... since 1993 I've slowly learned to temper my expectations ... but missing the playoffs 10 times, one and done 8 times and making the 3rd round twice is IMO below even tempered expectations ... 1993 would likely be the time a season started and I truly thought the Habs were legit Stanley Cup contenders ... I am hoping DD can set right the ship and we enjoy watching a good, long playoff run ... but it will require KK and Suzuki accelerating their development, Danault/Tartar/Gallagher upping their games, Weber getting his act together (or over whatever injury we don't know about) and something happening in terms of a partner for Weber (e.g., Romanov jumping to the level most hope he will be in his third year or MB acquiring legit top 6 LHD) ... feels like a lot right now ... hope remains in my heart, but my eyes are open

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the Habs are nowhere near what they were in the 60s and 70s 

they are closer to the Habs of the 80s a bunch of have-beens and prospects that never pan out 

They are nowhere near the team they were in the 80’s.  While they admittedly had dynasty holdovers in Robinson and Gainey, they drafted and developed a multiple conn smythe and Vezina winner in Roy, a multiple Norris winner in Chelios, 100 point man Naslund, 50 goal scorer im the enigmatic Richer, multiple selke winner in Carbonneau, traded for 90 point men in Damphousse, Bellows and Muller.   Always had a steady stream of good top 4 Dmen until the Houle years Oh, and we won two cups and went to another finals.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They are nowhere near the team they were in the 80’s.  While they admittedly had dynasty holdovers in Robinson and Gainey, they drafted and developed a multiple conn smythe and Vezina winner in Roy, a multiple Norris winner in Chelios, 100 point man Naslund, 50 goal scorer im the enigmatic Richer, multiple selke winner in Carbonneau, traded for 90 point men in Damphousse, Bellows and Muller.   Always had a steady stream of good top 4 Dmen until the Houle years Oh, and we won two cups and went to another finals.

Holy hell the memories this brings

Roy in 86 and 93 was incredible. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

yet, they didn't do well in the playoffs with only one cup in 1986

isn't that the standard fans whoa re the most critical bring up, how this team is not a cup contender compared to the Tampa or St.Louis teams ?

If we measure the current Habs with the 80s Habs, we have a Norris candidate in Petry, a past Lindsey (MVP), Jennings and Vezina winner in Price, we have a couple of cup winner in Perry, Edmundson, Toffoli and we have an exciting rookoe in Romanov and two solid prospects in Suzuki and Kotkaniemi

Anderson, Gallagher and maybe Toffoli and Tatar can score 30 goals on a good year.

I could go on, but you probably won;t agree with me regardless how many similarities I bring up

Anyone who’s been insulting the Habs’ beautiful blue jersey should tune into the Leafs vs Sens right now.

1) Because the Sens are dominating the Leafs.

2) Because the Leaf’s green jerseys are awful.  
—> I had to check whether or not I was colour blind

—> I had to make sure twice that it was actually the Leafs

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

2) Because the Leaf’s green jerseys are awful.  

—> I had to check whether or not I was colour blind

—> I had to make sure twice that it was actually the Leafs

They wear those usually once a year; it's not even their Reverse Retro Cash Grab sweaters.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yet, they didn't do well in the playoffs with only one cup in 1986

isn't that the standard fans whoa re the most critical bring up, how this team is not a cup contender compared to the Tampa or St.Louis teams ?

If we measure the current Habs with the 80s Habs, we have a Norris candidate in Petry, a past Lindsey (MVP), Jennings and Vezina winner in Price, we have a couple of cup winner in Perry, Edmundson, Toffoli and we have an exciting rookoe in Romanov and two solid prospects in Suzuki and Kotkaniemi

Anderson, Gallagher and maybe Toffoli and Tatar can score 30 goals on a good year.

I could go on, but you probably won;t agree with me regardless how many similarities I bring up

They went to the finals in 86 and 89 and 93.  No they were not the 70’s habs and at the time I found that there were a lot of playoff disappointments - mainly because they got crappy goaltending until Roy came along (with the exception of the “Penny from Heaven”).  We also had the Islanders and oilers dynasties to contend with.

Montreal drafted and developed the following on those teams:

-Roy (was the habs 4th selection in a draft after Svoboda, Corson, and Richer)

-Chelios

-Naslund

-Carbonneau 

-Svoboda

-Lemieux 

-Schneider

-Leclair (key to 93 cup win and was the start of the downfall)

-Kurvers

-Desjardins

-Corson

-Richer

-Macphee

-Ludwig

-Nattress

-hunter

We haven’t even come close to this level of drafting during the past decade.

In the 80’s we had seasons of over 100 points from Naslund, over 90 from Smith, richer, over 80 from Robinson, over 70 from Chelios and Corson.

Our offense now doesn’t even come close to that - and yeah, the 80’s had much higher scoring, but those were still much better teams - the 89’ final was with the top 2 teams in league.

I don’t see Taffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, and Tatar all scoring 30+ in the SAME season - not enough talent at centre to make that happen. But having them and Drouin as wingers is a HUGE upgrade over last year,       but with a lack of proven centres AND puck moving dmen, does limit their production potential.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They went to the finals in 86 and 89 and 93.  No they were not the 70’s habs and at the time I found that there were a lot of playoff disappointments - mainly because they got crappy goaltending until Roy came along (with the exception of the “Penny from Heaven”).  We also had the Islanders and oilers dynasties to contend with.

Montreal drafted and developed the following on those teams:

-Roy (was the habs 4th selection in a draft after Svoboda, Corson, and Richer)

-Chelios

-Naslund

-Carbonneau 

-Svoboda

-Lemieux 

-Schneider

-Leclair (key to 93 cup win and was the start of the downfall)

-Kurvers

-Desjardins

-Corson

-Richer

-Macphee

-Ludwig

-Nattress

-hunter

We haven’t even come close to this level of drafting during the past decade.

In the 80’s we had seasons of over 100 points from Naslund, over 90 from Smith, richer, over 80 from Robinson, over 70 from Chelios and Corson.

Our offense now doesn’t even come close to that - and yeah, the 80’s had much higher scoring, but those were still much better teams - the 89’ final was with the top 2 teams in league.

I don’t see Taffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, and Tatar all scoring 30+ in the SAME season - not enough talent at centre to make that happen. But having them and Drouin as wingers is a HUGE upgrade over last year,       but with a lack of proven centres AND puck moving dmen, does limit their production potential.

maybe because the 2021 season is more like 1981 and not 1991

Let’s give them time, The Habs just started trending this summer : we are at the beginning of that upward trend with three old players on the decline 

and with Claude Julien being our Bob Berry

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added BB

Habs fans would give their eye teeth for a restoration of teams of the level that Serge Savard built. Annual contenders, strong from top to bottom even if they were lacking superstar-level offensive talent.

I said at the start of the season that I expected this team to be a lot like those ‘80s teams: big, strong, tough to play against, anchored by a powerful goalie, and getting offence by committee. A team that had a legitimate chance to go deep.

It looked for the first 15 games that this prediction was mostly being borne out, except for the goaltending part. The next 15 games have been the opposite - a team that is mentally fragile, whose size and grit are negated by slowness on the back-end and by a fear of taking penalties, with erratic goaltending, and insufficient offence because of key veterans who have decided to start sucking toe-jam instead of stepping up and delivering as they traditionally have done.

So, it’s been a half-and-half proposition so far. The next 26 games will tell the tale of what this team truly is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Habs fans would give their eye teeth for a restoration of teams of the level that Serge Savard built. Annual contenders, strong from top to bottom even if they were lacking superstar-level offensive talent.

I said at the start of the season that I expected this team to be a lot like those ‘80s teams: big, strong, tough to play against, anchored by a powerful goalie, and getting offence by committee. A team that had a legitimate chance to go deep.

It looked for the first 15 games that this prediction was mostly being borne out, except for the goaltending part. The next 15 games have been the opposite - a team that is mentally fragile, whose size and grit are negated by slowness on the back-end and by a fear of taking penalties, with erratic goaltending, and insufficient offence because of key veterans who have decided to start sucking toe-jam instead of stepping up and delivering as they traditionally have done.

So, it’s been a half-and-half proposition so far. The next 26 games will tell the tale of what this team truly is.

I am 100% with you on this @The Chicoutimi Cucumber

After one period ... Leafs trail Flames 3-2 ... Alex Galchenyuk ... 3:41 ... 0 ... 0 ... -2

image.png

Although in Galchenyuk's case there would have to be five NHL spots

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

After one period ... Leafs trail Flames 3-2 ... Alex Galchenyuk ... 3:41 ... 0 ... 0 ... -2

image.png

Although in Galchenyuk's case there would have to be five NHL spots

LOL!

John Lu

@JohnLuTSNMtl

#Habs Reverse Retro nights results.

Feb 4: 3-2 L to Sens (Price)

Feb 11: 3-0 L to Oilers (Allen)

Feb 20: 5-3 L to Leafs (Price)

Mar 4: 4-3 OTL to Jets (Allen)

Mar 20: Canucks (Price)

Mar 24: Oilers

Might wanna put some $$ down on the Canucks and Oilers.

A step in the right direction ...

IMO there needs to be something more complex than "win draft lottery more than twice in five-year period" ... I would include not for two years after winning it, and not for four years if they win it that fourth draft ... I would also ensure that "winning" is defined as either of the top two spots

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A step in the right direction ...

IMO there needs to be something more complex than "win draft lottery more than twice in five-year period" ... I would include not for two years after winning it, and not for four years if they win it that fourth draft ... I would also ensure that "winning" is defined as either of the top two spots

I actually like a broader lottery that rewards teams that still try.  Buffalo in the McDavid draft and toronto in the Matthews drafts intentionally were icing AHL quality teams for the lottery.  Should not be having a higher chance of best player in that situation. It’s sucks that oilers win the McDavid draft, but it’s worse when Toronto was rewarded for the obvious Matthews tank.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic