Jan. 18, Habs vs Oilers, 9 PM

dlbalr

37 minutes ago, illWill said:

You're saying that it doesn't matter what side a winger plays on? Or even that it is better that he is on the off wing?  

I really hope his position in the roster was fully discussed before signing him and pro-scouting dept gave thumbs up to off-wing for him from game 1 on.

Or they are simply winging it, "hoping" he does well or plan 'B' is to quickly bump Armia to another spot?

45 minutes ago, illWill said:

You're saying that it doesn't matter what side a winger plays on? Or even that it is better that he is on the off wing? Why do the majority of players play on their correct side? 

Typically the exception to this is for players with lethal shots who can rip one timers or based on necessity because of the composition of the roster. For once we finally have enough righties to balance it all out. 

I agree with everyone that the line is generating chances and that it is only two games. However I think switching Armia and Lehkonen is a pretty lateral move and it would benefit Toffoli to play where he is comfortable, especially with a new team and system. 

We all know Julien doesn't change the lineup if they team is playing well so nothing will change until they aren't, but at some point this might be a viable option. 

What im saying is a forward playing on his off wing is not nearly as significant as it was in the 80’s/90’s, when systems and coaching forced players to say on their side most times going up and down the ice. Players today once in transition are all over the ice. The assignments given to the winger differ immensely compared to the systems and coaching i went through in the 80’s and early 90’s as an example. Hockey systems have evolved and I dont think its nearly as important, specifically at the NHL level.
Toffoli has looked fine at LW generating many chances. He hasn’t scored in 2 games. Everyone needs to “chill”

I may have to reread my posts as I clearly thought I was quite "chill". It was just a suggested minor tweak to the lineup which will happen a million times this season. Just because a team is playing well doesn't mean it is the optimal lineup. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I may have to reread my posts as I clearly thought I was quite "chill". It was just a suggested minor tweak to the lineup which will happen a million times this season. Just because a team is playing well doesn't mean it is the optimal lineup. 

agreed

chill was more generalized...

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully the lineup above is correct ... not only because I think it is too early to juggle the lines but because I don't think it is a good idea to give Allen his first start as a Hab against an "annoyed" McDavid and Draisaitl ... 

Allen is starting

MTL@EDM: Allen gets the nod (nhl.com)

"According to head coach Claude Julien, we should be seeing a lot of Allen this year, which should help to keep Price as fresh as possible over the course of a condensed schedule."

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain that Allen-Price-Allen-Price is really any different with "keeping Price fresh", which I fully support, than Price-Allen-Price-Allen ... BTW, in terms of "freshness" the P-A-P-A sequence gives Carey 6 days off before the home opener ... and I don't think Allen would be started because of a fear of the team being subconsciously, somewhat overconfident ... I would just would prefer to see Allen's first start be in more of a "clean slate" game. 

With Price-Allen-Price-Allen, Edmonton sees Price two times in a row, then Vancouver gets Allen twice.  With Allen-Price-Allen-Price, you still have the Canucks getting a goalie twice in the same set (with three games, it has to happen) but Edmonton gets the different look tonight.  From a scouting perspective, it makes things slightly more complicated for the other team to have to prepare for two different goalies.  It's a minor factor at most but with only seeing six different opponents, any possible small benefit is something teams may look to utilize.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Allen is starting

MTL@EDM: Allen gets the nod (nhl.com)

"According to head coach Claude Julien, we should be seeing a lot of Allen this year, which should help to keep Price as fresh as possible over the course of a condensed schedule."

And Price-Allen-Price-Allen this week would achieve the same result (a 4-2) split and give Carey a longer break before the home opener ... but in his Zoom call Claude referenced a season long plan that is adjusted as required ... expect this was pre-planned and there really is no reason to change it ... 

Anderson is no longer on the bench...please, please, please let it me a problem with his equipment!

Nice to see Romanov Score!!!

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A small tweak for the third line as Armia and Toffoli swap sides:

It makes more sense for them to try swapping sides before changing the lines.

Regarding Edmundson no comment  from me so far on his defence but I'm liking his physicality.  He seems very solid like a brick wall.  When he hits the other player gets knocked silly. 

8 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Anderson is no longer on the bench...please, please, please let it me a problem with his equipment!

Nice to see Romanov Score!!!

RDS showed him in a relatively harmless looking contact in the corner to Allen's left but then on his way to the bench he seemed to glide with most of his weight on one foot the last third/half of the way

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nicely nicley, Romanovs 1st NHL goal!!!

20 years from now it will be a wicked blast from the point that picked the top corner
LOL

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

RDS showed him in a relatively harmless looking contact in the corner to Allen's left but then on his way to the bench he seemed to glide with most of his weight on one foot the last third/half of the way

Anderson's back!! Praise the hockey gods!