Jan 23, Habs vs Canucks, 7 PM

tomh009

1230572783_slide.jpg
https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/16/full/4231_montreal_canadiens-jersey-2000.png https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/29/full/2633_vancouver_canucks-jersey-2020.png

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Byron - Evans - Perry

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Romanov

Price

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Schmidt
Juolevi - Rafferty

Holtby

4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Glad to see Byron penciled in. Curious to see how Perry does.

The team hasn't made an announcement about Byron, this is nhl.com's guess for the time being. Let's hope he's OK to play!

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The team hasn't made an announcement about Byron, this is nhl.com's guess for the time being. Let's hope he's OK to play!

98.5fm is reporting that Perry will play on the third line. 
They didn’t mention anything about Byron 

Looking forward to seeing Perry out there 😃

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We'll know more in 2.5h when they take to the ice for the warm-up.

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Perry was on the third line in practice yesterday with Frolik on the fourth line.  Personally, I like the idea of having Lehkonen move up a line and having Perry on the fourth but that's just me.  I just hope that Perry doesn't take any dumb penalties at a time where the Habs have been taking more than enough of them.

18 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

TSN has Frolik penciled in on the 4th line, but I thought I saw Brian say there wasn’t enough cap space for that yet.

There isn't enough for a straight recall (Perry's recall gives them less than $50,000 in cap room) which is why he wasn't recalled today with Perry.  But he skated on the fourth line in practice yesterday which is what TSN is basing the lines off of.

Having said that, there are two scenarios where he can play tonight still:

1) Armia is placed on LTIR (doing so means he's out for at least three weeks)

2) Romanov is sent down, opening up room for Frolik.  They get to go 12/6 that way even without Byron but what's more desirable if he isn't available - dressing 7 D with Romanov in or dressing Frolik with Romanov out?  They're better off with Mete as the 7th D/4th line LW if Byron can't go.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There isn't enough for a straight recall (Perry's recall gives them less than $50,000 in cap room) which is why he wasn't recalled yesterday.  But he skated on the fourth line in practice yesterday which is what TSN is basing the lines off of.

Having said that, there are two scenarios where he can play tonight still:

1) Armia is placed on LTIR (doing so means he's out for at least three weeks)

2) Romanov is sent down, opening up room for Frolik.  They get to go 12/6 that way even without Byron but what's more desirable if he isn't available -dressing 7 D with Romanov in or dressing Frolik with Romanov out?  They're better off with Mete as the 7th D/4th line LW in that circumstance.

Agree ... much as it would be nice to dress both Frolik and Perry I think there is a huge drop-off if Mete replaces Romanov ... use Mete on the 4th line and double shift other players a bit to minimize Victor's exposure as a forward.

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Putting Armia on LTIR would potentially cause problems with the Suzuki and Kotkaniemi performance bonuses, too, would it not?

Potentially, depending on the length of the LTIR placement.  You lose your accrued space while someone is on LTIR which leaves teams exposed towards bonus carryover.  (Don't forget Romanov in that group and he is well on his way to hitting his.)  Teams can dip in and out of LTIR to try to preserve what they can which is what they did a few years ago, going in one day, out the next, and driving me absolutely crazy in the process as I was still doing my capsheet at that time.  If Armia went on LTIR for three weeks, it'd make a dent in their cap space but there's enough time left that they could potentially still bank some to offset at least some of the bonuses.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I just hope that Perry doesn't take any dumb penalties at a time where the Habs have been taking more than enough of them.

They brought Perry in for veteran leadership so I'm hoping that he'll show em how to take stupid penalties and not get caught doing it. 

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Byron is in! 👍

Nice, good to know. 

In the last game the Habs offensively delved too greedily and too deep.  

However, in this game Van deserves the score of the last game.  Hopefully the Habs oblige  and rout them again. 

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nice, good to know. 

In the last game the Habs offensively delved too greedily and too deep.  

However, in this game Van deserves the score of the last game.  Hopefully the Habs oblige  and rout them again. 

I'm surprised habs didn't have Weber firing more last game after the Armia injury.  I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a few shots that gets blocked on purpose.  That is one of the bonuses of Weber, he can do his own damage well within the rules without dropping the gloves.

Good on Edmundson dropping the gloves with Myers.

Hmm, interesting.  I figured Edmundson was similar strength as Myers, but all of his fights I have seen were underwhelming.  That was probably the best fight I've seen him in.  Myers is 6'8" but he's only 228lbs so he actually isn't really that strong for his height.  Anderson could likely take him (his fight with Chara was impressive), but would it be smart to risk him being injured?  No. 

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, interesting.  I figured Edmundson was similar strength as Myers, but all of his fights I have seen were underwhelming.  That was probably the best fight I've seen him in.  Myers is 6'8" but he's only 228lbs so he actually isn't really that strong for his height.  Anderson could likely take him (his fight with Chara was impressive), but would it be smart to risk him being injured?  No. 

When I watched that fight, it almost looked as though Myers was letting him get some shots in. Almost allowing him to make things even. It’s probably not true though, and more-so that Myers isn’t a good fighter.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Edmunndson had already beaten up on him once before, about two years ago.

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

When I watched that fight, it almost looked as though Myers was letting him get some shots in. Almost allowing him to make things even. It’s probably not true though, and more-so that Myers isn’t a good fighter.

Yeah, it was almost like Myers felt bad and knew he should have been suspended.

I'm always nervous watching players punch helmets and visors.