Jan 30 - Habs-Flames - 7pm

GHT120

Contrary to many posters here, I thought we had the better of the play, TBH. Markstrom basically stood on his head. The Habs did have a few dodgy moments in their own end - which has been a problem all season - but Allen covered for that. We deserved a better outcome than we got.

We’re what, 9 games in, and already two of our players have been victims of targeted blows to the head which have gone unpunished (and therefore rewarded) by the league. At that rate, the NHL won’t have to worry about the fearsome 2021 Canadiens, because half our team will be out with concussions by the time the playoffs start. 

Worried about Anderson, because I’m kinda worrying about him staying healthy in general.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

22:08 with 6:02 on the PP for Toffoli, but just 1 shot in this game.

Chiarot 4 shots

Would love to know how many shots-AT-goal TT had ... seemed to have a few blocked or that missed the net ... but going onto the game he was on pace for 48 goals in 56 games (70g/82gm) ... now 42  ... expect we will see fewer goals from him for a few games ... but he can still drive play

Gallagher-Danault-Tatar had 12 of the 32 SOG ... although they didn't score I think it reflects the depth that will see the line driving the scoring chances/goals vary from game-to-game

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Contrary to many posters here, I thought we had the better of the play, TBH. Markstrom basically stood on his head. The Habs did have a few dodgy moments in their own end - which has been a problem all season - but Allen covered for that. We deserved a better outcome than we got.

We’re what, 9 games in, and already two of our players have been victims of targeted blows to the head which have gone unpunished (and therefore rewarded) by the league. At that rate, the NHL won’t have to worry about the fearsome 2021 Canadiens, because half our team will be out with concussions by the time the playoffs start. 

Worried about Anderson, because I’m kinda worrying about him staying healthy in general.

I am no fan of the "Dept of Player Safety" ... but at least the first time the refs got in right in-game ... I won't be surprised if the league does nothing this time either since KK returned to play ... but they are ridiculously random in how they hand out suspensions ...

KK smart enough in post-game interview to just say nothing about the hit other than he didn't see the player coming ... avoided any comment on whether there should have been a penalty or should be supplementary discipline

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It may be just me but I thought the Habs played a lot better tonight than they did on Thursday.  Last game, they got the opportune bounces and tonight, they couldn't buy one.

I agree. There were some very good scoring chances.  Not just one and done plays. Very entertaining game I thought.

Post-game Julien said that Anderson had flu-like symptoms and was sent home as a precautionary measure ... he tested negative today and will get another tomorrow

Potential for Covid has implications for him being off for several games but at least it isn't a physical injury

Calgary played a heavy game and we did not respond. KK gets smoked and we dance and grab. 

We should have pushed back hard but we caved like usual. Where is our passion?

We are a bigger team that is still soft. 

Im not mad at the loss. Markstrom was great and we had chances. We did come out flat and IMO only played well in the third. 

Im mad because we got pushed around and did nothing but take it. Why not head hunt Suzuki? What consequences would there be?

1 word, enforcer. 

VS Van it took a premeditated fight to settle the score. This time we didnt wait. Dubes nose was in worse shape than KKs. NHL make up your minds. Get the refs to call it right or expect fighting to return to hockey and enforcers will be back. 

My problem with the review board is not only their wavering on what is an offence, but how the suspensions cant correct the missed calls in the game. How about if the review board says, hey that should have been 5 and a game, the next time those teams meet the suspended player is out and team starts with a 5 minute major they should have had in the last meeting? I know. No. but how does justice come in these cases.

1 word, Enforcers

...and a missed major by a ref should equal a suspension without pay for them. Maybe a limit of blown calls and they are demoted to the AHL for eternity?

Wouldn't it be nice to hear a call like that is under review and the refs are suspended until the outcome of the review board? They are far too untouchable. Make them call games by the book or find a new gig. If we were all that useless at our jobs we would be out of work. Last playoffs should have been a wake up call that there was a serious problem brewing with the leagues officiating.

I have no particular desire to rain fire on a ref for missing a call, but the NHL has absolutely no excuse for failing to assign suspensions for blows to the head. According to Cassie Campbell last night, the on-ice call has no relationship to any supplemental discipline. 

The game has evolved beyond goons. Advanced stats expose goons as complete liabilities in every facet of the game except the ability to punch people in the face. So, teams aren’t going to carry some lumbering behemoth just in case a head-shot goes down. Meanwhile, if a player on the ice metes out revenge, dollars to donuts they will get penalized - it’s always the retaliation that gets penalized, for some reason - and hurt their team. 

I can see only two answers. One is that, next time we play Calgary, a Hab goes out and head-hunts a random Flame. (After all, blows to the head are perfectly legal - right?) That way lies carnage, trails of young men suffering brain damage.

The other is supplemental discipline. 

It’s not rocket science, NHL.

• Upvote 1

It is more than the headshot to KK last night. Gallagher was thumped, dumped, beaten, cross checked and more all game long and nobody defended him once. 

Sad sack large men on our team did nothing. 

The league clearly won’t help us and we don’t appear to have the balls to help ourselves. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no particular desire to rain fire on a ref for missing a call, but the NHL has absolutely no excuse for failing to assign suspensions for blows to the head. According to Cassie Campbell last night, the on-ice call has no relationship to any supplemental discipline. 

The game has evolved beyond goons. Advanced stats expose goons as complete liabilities in every facet of the game except the ability to punch people in the face. So, teams aren’t going to carry some lumbering behemoth just in case a head-shot goes down. Meanwhile, if a player on the ice metes out revenge, dollars to donuts they will get penalized - it’s always the retaliation that gets penalized, for some reason - and hurt their team. 

I can see only two answers. One is that, next time we play Calgary, a Hab goes out and head-hunts a random Flame. (After all, blows to the head are perfectly legal - right?) That way lies carnage, trails of young men suffering brain damage.

The other is supplemental discipline. 

It’s not rocket science, NHL.

Explain Wilson in Washington to me?

You can be a talented useful player and still be a feared fighter. The 2 are not exclusive to themselves. 

How many shots to the head does Washington take?

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It is more than the headshot to KK last night. Gallagher was thumped, dumped, beaten, cross checked and more all game long and nobody defended him once. 

Sad sack large men on our team did nothing. 

The league clearly won’t help us and we don’t appear to have the balls to help ourselves. 

Not to mention the  run they took at Evans early in the game. He stopped short or was being decked mid ice too

9 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Explain Wilson in Washington to me?

You can be a talented useful player and still be a feared fighter. The 2 are not exclusive to themselves. 

How many shots to the head does Washington take?

Are you saying every team has a Tom Wilson, except the Habs? How many guys in the league are there like that?

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Are you saying every team has a Tom Wilson, except the Habs? How many guys in the league are there like that?

Seems to be a few too many. Maybe it is time that we started to look for that ability in our acquisitions? Forgotten talent that seems to be missing as teams are taking liberties that an enforcer did stop. 

I would rather see the game just be called right without the need for this behavior. But unfortunately it isn't

2 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Seems to be a few too many. Maybe it is time that we started to look for that ability in our acquisitions? Forgotten talent that seems to be missing as teams are taking liberties that an enforcer did stop. 

I would rather see the game just be called right without the need for this behavior. But unfortunately it isn't

The problem is that Tom Wilsons aren’t like goons. While the really high-level pugilists were rare, the basic type of the goon was a dime-a-dozen back in the day. But guys who can skate and play the game *and* who are ferocious fighters are a much rarer commodity. Lucic and Wilson are basically unicorns (and even Wilson has hurt his team over the years with his shenanigans). I’m not gonna criticize the Habs for failing to get a unicorn.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that Tom Wilsons aren’t like goons. While the really high-level pugilists were rare, the basic type of the goon was a dime-a-dozen back in the day. But guys who can skate and play the game *and* who are ferocious fighters are a much rarer commodity. Lucic and Wilson are basically unicorns (and even Wilson has hurt his team over the years with his shenanigans). I’m not gonna criticize the Habs for failing to get a unicorn.

They exist in abundance. They dont get drafted in todays NHL. Instead teams take crap shots late rounds at small forwards etc. If the league does not correct their issue, I predict this will change. 

I dont even think the head shot was that bad...

CalgarY CLEARLY came to play after losing 3 straight and falling quickly, players only meeting etc...

They were finishing there checks... KK turned and evaded Dube slightly and dube reached out with gloves to make contact and hit him in the face...  big deal

it was gloves to head though and not a shoulder or body check to the head. Guys are constantly gloving guys in the face.

We all sound like little Bi$$$ches

Myers on Armia was 100 times worse!

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

CalgarY CLEARLY came to play after losing 3 straight and falling quickly, players only meeting etc...

They were finishing there checks... KK turned and evaded Dube slightly and dube reached out with gloves to make contact and hit him in the face...  big deal

it was gloves to head though and not a shoulder or body check to the head. Guys are constantly gloving guys in the face.

Elbow, but yes the Meyers hit was worse. Love watching the replay and seeing Chiarot grab Dube by the nose and fix his look for him. 2 minutes for enforcement. Good penalty on his part Dube should have got at least 4minutes if not 5 and the gate.

7 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Dube was aiming high. He starts by coasting, goes into full stride prior to the hit and instead of trying to check through the body, he directs his momentum upwards.  The hit may of been with his hand/forearm, but it was still aimed high. 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Calgary played a heavy game and we did not respond. KK gets smoked and we dance and grab. 

We should have pushed back hard but we caved like usual. Where is our passion?

We are a bigger team that is still soft. 

Im not mad at the loss. Markstrom was great and we had chances. We did come out flat and IMO only played well in the third. 

Im mad because we got pushed around and did nothing but take it. Why not head hunt Suzuki? What consequences would there be?

Disagree with almost all of this.

Take more penalties dosent seem very smart, dont you think they have taken enough already?.

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

They exist in abundance. They dont get drafted in todays NHL. Instead teams take crap shots late rounds at small forwards etc. If the league does not correct their issue, I predict this will change. 

Your on a roll today bud.:popcorn:

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Potential legit top 6 forwards that are elite fighters aren't getting drafted ... really?

The elite fighters that aren't drafted are the goons that can't play at an NHL level