Jan 30 - Habs-Flames - 7pm

GHT120

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If the NFL can keep tackling in the game while getting out the hits to the head, why can't the NHL?

What are you talking about? Headshots are still rampant in the NFL, with more than 10 concussions every week across the league. The NFL does not do more about headshots than the NHL. Not by a long shot. 

47 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

What are you talking about? Headshots are still rampant in the NFL, with more than 10 concussions every week across the league. The NFL does not do more about headshots than the NHL. Not by a long shot. 

Im saying that the league has managed to make rules to avoid head on head contact that arent confusing as all hell.

We dont have weekly debates on the topic and people saying it was unavoidbale or not the primary point of contact or whatever 

Concussions in thenleague dropped from 285 and 275 in the two years before the targetting rule changes in 2017 to 224 and 214 the last two years. So its had some effect already 

Youll never get concussions 100% out of the game but you can have some common sense rules on headshots to reduce them.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And when someone like McDavid/Draisaitl/etc. are levelled and put on LTIR they will feign outrage

Its all about the Sir Robert L Borden's!:nuts:

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks ... thought there might be a website they were sourcing ... if not, thanks to them for the creative effort

Most people have their own templates or style - I usually rotate through a few different ones that I've made over the years although I'm not certain they'll all work properly since the forum update which is why I did a new one for this year with cleaner code that's easy to transfer over.

20 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i agree on this one... he didn't even lay the body. It was basically gloves to face. if this was not one of our beloved, we wouldn't be thinking twice about it...

Honestly, I'm sorta confused as to why people are so mad.   Its more like he put his arms up and KK skated into them.  Its more like he pushed KK over vs smashed him. 

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Looked more like forearms to the face to me. Abetted by a definite upward thrust to better make contact with the head. The only thing you can say in Dube’s favour is that he didn’t accelerate full-speed into the hit. He could have taken an extra step and didn’t.

How about this: you make primary contact to the head, you’re guilty. The end. 

It was forearms and it might have had an upwards motion, but I sorta think he did that to protect his own face and KK's head. 

The unavoidable comment from the league also makes sense.  Its not like the Flame lifted his elbow or forearms up above his shoulders to make contact with KK's head.  His arms were below his shoulder and above his waist - which is the natural position for someones arms.  The head contact was mostly from KK being bent over and skating right at him.  Contact was unavoidable, and KK was leading with his head. 

He could have took another stride and put a lot more force into the contact.  At the moment of contact his forearms went inwards towards his chest vs outwards towards KK's head with force.  Instead, the Flame could have smashed him with his shoulder, which wouldnt have absorbed any of the impact. 

If KK did that same manoeuvre against Scott Stevens he would have been concussed badly and potentially retired. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Im saying that the league has managed to make rules to avoid head on head contact that arent confusing as all hell.

We dont have weekly debates on the topic and people saying it was unavoidbale or not the primary point of contact or whatever 

Concussions in thenleague dropped from 285 and 275 in the two years before the targetting rule changes in 2017 to 224 and 214 the last two years. So its had some effect already 

Youll never get concussions 100% out of the game but you can have some common sense rules on headshots to reduce them.

Again, I ask what are you talking about? Targeting plays in the NFL (and college) are debated constantly, except for the most blatant of incidents. Just like head shots in hockey. Outside of the rule about not leading with the crown of the helmet, there is so much room for debate as to whether a player was defenseless, if the primary point of contact was the head, and if the contact was unavoidable.

2017 was the first year of the revamped rule and concussions went UP that year. Yes, they have been down marginally the last two years, but comparable to 2013 and 2014, before the revised rule. The targeting rule has yet to make ANY impact on how the game is played. It is something that is going to take YEARS, because it is only going to take effect once people actually grow up playing to avoid headshots. And when that happens, maybe we'll finally see tackling improve, when people stop trying to "hit stick" people instead of tackling them. I haven't played Madden since the 2014 version... Have they taken that out yet? Because they should.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Debated by announcers?  sure

Uncalled by referees, and unpunished by the league?  Yes, it happens (see KC-Cleveland), but it is far, far less frequent that these get missed.

And players have generally adapted to the greater focus on hits to the QB's head ... it can be done if the leagues have refs enforce the rule and actually enforce supplementary discipline when necessary

It took me this long to find out that I watched the entire game against Calgary patiently hoping for the Habs to score, innocently unknowing that the GDT tradition had been broken.

It all makes sense now.