Feb 01, Habs VS Canucks 7:00pm

habs#4,9,10,33

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Most ice time among Montreal d-men: 20:45 (Chiarot)

Least ice time among Montreal d-men: 17:45 (Mete)

That's about as effective as you can get balancing the ice time for defencemen.

Ya, that TOI is really close and in the games where I've seen the #'s it sorta seems like they are doing that with all the lines this year and trying to keep it fairly close to even. 

Three stars were Petry, Suzuki and Perry. I would have really picked Lehkonen ahead of Perry even if the latter did get a milestone point, the fourth line really did a yeoman's job again tonight.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Likely ... but is filling the LW spot beside KK beautifully, flipping him with Anderon likely means Armia/Perry would have to play LW as I've read nothing of Anderson ever playing LW ... and it would take the physical presence away from Suzuki & Drouin

Not certain that the line combinations have anything to do with what you feel you haven't seen from him as yet this year ... 

You are right, that with the way they are playing the lines and managing the TOI the lines might not be the reason. 

The Habs aren't really playing the 1st line as a #1 scoring line and the 3rd line as a shutdown checking line.  If they were and swapped Anderson and Gallagher we'd probably get to see the BangBus in action. 

Also, I tend to think that Gallagher would score more playing with Drouin and Suzuki and Anderson would score the same playing with Tatar and Danault.  Its potentially possible that Anderson might even create even more goals in a checking role than how he's currently played. 

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Three stars were Petry, Suzuki and Perry. I would have really picked Lehkonen ahead of Perry even if the latter did get a milestone point, the fourth line really did a yeoman's job again tonight.

That's weird. I'm watching RDS and the 3 stars were Petry, Suzuki and Lehkonen!

I'm surprised to see many of y'all being so hard on Mete. The Kid hasn't played in 6 months, it's his first game back. Kid deserves a break!

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

That's weird. I'm watching RDS and the 3 stars were Petry, Suzuki and Lehkonen!

I'm surprised to see many of y'all being so hard on Mete. The Kid hasn't played in 6 months, it's his first game back. Kid deserves a break!

TSN picked their own but RDS usually picks the official 3 Stars for Montreal's home games.  Of course, neither are as important as the HW 3 Stars in the recaps we have for most games...just saying...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Demko and Allen likely play tomorrow.  

This game is over, why tire Demko?

At that point it was over, but sometimes coaches pull their goalie to wake up their team and try to change the momentum of the game. Pull Holtby after 3 or 4, and who knows how the Vancouver team reacts.

It’s not so much this specific game.

But with the general consensus being that the starting goalie will play the full 60 minutes of a game, if there is a game the following day, well a monkey can coach a game if these types of things are so automatic.  I can agree with it much of the time, but I don’t agree with it 100% of the time, and it seems to be a 100% of the time thing.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

TSN picked their own but RDS usually picks the official 3 Stars for Montreal's home games.  Of course, neither are as important as the HW 3 Stars in the recaps we have for most games...just saying...

I'm hitting F5 every few seconds hoping to see the recap pop up ... :D

16 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... "potentially possible" ... 

That's why I buy lottery tickets ... LOL

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That's why I buy lottery tickets ... LOL

You missed the point.   I dont think its a bet that Gally would score more and Anderson the same, the bet would be both scoring more.  Losing that bet still means more goals so its not a lose lose scenario.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Because prior to the last tv deal, RDS had both the habs regional coverage and the national coverage. 

When TVA got the national coverage and it was no longer the same channel, the regional had to be blacked out. 

Thanks for the explanation but oddly I don't believe that explains it either.  I actually had TVA and I'm pretty sure it was blacked out.  Maybe Bell Sat was blacking out more games than it should have been.  

I had issues with Sports Net too.  SNE had showed most games but blacked out. SNO had several games that werent blacked out but I didnt get that chan + it didnt have enough games to warrant getting it.  I saw the odd game on SN1, same with TSN1. 

Also, for some stupid annoying reason the 1 season even a lot of Saturday night games on CBC Mtl wouldn't be Habs games.  They'd show Leafs or Sens games.  🤮  That might be due to TVA but isnt their deal only in French? 

I could be wrong but doesn't Sports Net have *all* the NHL TV rights?  ex:  if you had a station and wanted to show a game you'd have to work it out with SN.  They paid an insane amount of money for the rights.   Technically, HNIC only exists because SN allows it to because they could say no to the CBC.

I’m REALLY glad Suzuki wasn’t moved for PLD!! How many goals would Taffoli score in a year if all the games are were against the Canucks? 

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

So, for Mete wanting ice time, both goals against tonight he was influential on both.  I don't see why he would be in the lineup tomorrow night.

I agree with Brandon here, Romanov and Kotkaniemi were more to blame then Mete. But yeah its easier to blame Mete.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

You missed the point.   I dont think its a bet that Gally would score more and Anderson the same, the bet would be both scoring more.  Losing that bet still means more goals so its not a lose lose scenario.

It was a joke ... based on how "potentially possible" is a complete roll of the dice ... like buying a lottery ticket

It is "potentially possible" that both would score less ... it is potentially possible that Anderson would drag down Suzuki and Gallagher KK ... it is "potentially possible that the two lines would become the highest scoring in the NHL ... anything is potentially possible

3 hours ago, Dutch_Habs_Fan said:

I agree with Brandon here, Romanov and Kotkaniemi were more to blame then Mete. But yeah its easier to blame Mete.

On the first goal Romanov had a terrible turnover just past centre but with no pass for Mete to prevent he still played Gaudette in no-mans land ... no challenge to Gaudette shooting and possibly partially screening Price

On the second Romanov wasn't even on the ice ... Petry was on the right-side ... looking at the TOI Report, Petry was at the end of a shift and Mete had come on 15 seconds before the goal ... I wouldn't fault Petry, Van cleared the puck past JP around the boards behind the net which is not an uncommon result ... KK watched the puck and floated to the goal-line instead of picking up Beagle, so the majority of the blame DOES go to him, but again Mete didn't commit to anything and was an observer as the puck went from behind the net, past him and  to an uncovered Beagle in the slot ... agree that it is unfair to pin it all on Mete but he shares a reasonable portion of the blame.

A hilarious game, obviously. I enjoyed listening to Travis Green’s presser afterward. He kept saying things like “against this team, you can’t do the things we did...against this team, you have to move the puck quickly...they’re fast, they’re quick, they’re big, they’re deep...against this team...”

He stopped short of saying that the players knew all of this and just can’t handle the Canadiens. 

That being said, I expect a strong effort from them tonight. They’re better than what they’ve shown against us, but then again we just might be a terrible match-up for them, a team that has their number.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... That being said, I expect a strong effort from them tonight. They’re better than what they’ve shown against us, but then again we just might be a terrible match-up for them, a team that has their number.

I agree ... if Van doesn't show push-back tonight there will be issues for the players, coaches and the GM to address

And there always teams that have another's number ... example, Detroit versus Habs last season ... reasons are not always obvious

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thanks for the explanation but oddly I don't believe that explains it either.  I actually had TVA and I'm pretty sure it was blacked out.  Maybe Bell Sat was blacking out more games than it should have been.  

I had issues with Sports Net too.  SNE had showed most games but blacked out. SNO had several games that werent blacked out but I didnt get that chan + it didnt have enough games to warrant getting it.  I saw the odd game on SN1, same with TSN1. 

Also, for some stupid annoying reason the 1 season even a lot of Saturday night games on CBC Mtl wouldn't be Habs games.  They'd show Leafs or Sens games.  🤮  That might be due to TVA but isnt their deal only in French? 

I could be wrong but doesn't Sports Net have *all* the NHL TV rights?  ex:  if you had a station and wanted to show a game you'd have to work it out with SN.  They paid an insane amount of money for the rights.   Technically, HNIC only exists because SN allows it to because they could say no to the CBC.

National games on SN and TVA are wednesday night, saturday night and sunday night.  They shouldnt be blacked out.

Saturday they show all the games.  Cbc usually has the leafs. Citytv the habs and sportsnet the sens 

Any sn games (for canadian teams) on non-national rights are because they also purchased local rignts and have to be blacked out.  The rds rule of having both local and national only applies in french

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... if Van doesn't show push-back tonight there will be issues for the players, coaches and the GM to address

And there always teams that have another's number ... example, Detroit versus Habs last season ... reasons are not always obvious

While the Canucks were improving, this was a humiliating set-back. 

They’re all in and have no impact prospects in the system. Ownership seems unwilling to create cap room by eating Loui Erickson’s contract. Their options are few. Travis Green may find himself turfed out very quickly if the ship doesn’t right itself.

You’d think Van, with their dubious D, would make an excellent trade partner for Mete, incidentally; but their LD depth is actually rather good. Oh well.

5 hours ago, Dutch_Habs_Fan said:

Mete let the pass through on both of those goals.  He if he’s going to the back of the net to play the man, he better be on the man when he gets the puck, or be ready to cut off the pass when he didn’t make it.  He did neither.  Yes, on both cases there was a player open in the slot, but Mete has the responsibility to cut the pass off to the slot.  

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Mete let the pass through on both of those goals.  He if he’s going to the back of the net to play the man, he better be on the man when he gets the puck, or be ready to cut off the pass when he didn’t make it.  He did neither.  Yes, on both cases there was a player open in the slot, but Mete has the responsibility to cut the pass off to the slot.  

I agree.

He was in a tough spot, but Vancouver wasn’t scoring from behind Habs net so Mete shouldn’t have abandoned the crease when Van had possession and Mete had no net-front support.

He made a bad call to abandon net front. He should have identified that he had no support and the threat from behind the net is not worth chasing.

That said, his speed was noticeable and effective at pushing back Vancouver d when he joined the rush, but he was forcing it trying to be a difference maker and he is not a difference maker.

having had such a long stretch between games for him, you kinda gotta let him play again before making judgements though.

hard to ask someone else to sit though as the d corps has been relatively strong. 

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Ownership seems unwilling to create cap room by eating Loui Erickson’s contract ...

Because of how front loaded his contract they would only save $2 million next season if they bought him out this summer ... but the cap hit would only be $1 million the following season ... according to Spotrac's buyout calculator, if they had bought him out last fall, the cap hits would have been:

2020-21   $5,666,667
2021-22   $3,666,667
2022-23   $  666,667
2023-24   $  666,667

So essentially no savings this season and less than half the cap hit next season ... trading him while retaining half his cap hit would have been the other potential option ... but it would have required serious assets to be included to get another team to take him ... as there were only a handful of teams that could even have taken him, serious means SERIOUS ... sadly, keeping him may have been the lesser of two evils

The Canucks have great young pieces in Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Demko.

Unfortunately, they look like a team that will never reach their potential as they have wasted so much cap space

Luongo (2 years) - 3 million penalty

Spooner buyout (this year) - 1 million

Baertschi buried salary (this year) - 2.3 million

Holtby (2 years) - 4.3 million.  He is not close to the goalie he used to be and this was obvious in Washington.

Myers (4 years) - 6.0 million.  He is on their third pair when everyone is healthy.

Beagle (2 year) - 3 million.  Long contract that overpaid a 4th linere

Roussel (2 year) - 3 million. Long contract that overpaid a 4th liner

Sutter (this year) 4.375 million

Eriksson 2 year - 6 million

So they are going to get some cap space this summer, and a big chunk in two years.  But in the meantime, this cap crunch cost them valuable pieces in Toffoli, Markstrom, Leivo, Tanev, who they simply couldn't sign.  

The downside is that expiring cap space will likely be needed for the young guys listed at the top of this post.  Hughes, Pettersson, Demko RFA 2021, Boeser 2022

They weren't able to take advantage of the window where their best young players are on ELCs.

Another reason that Bergevin has taken the team all in this summer, before Price and Weber and Petry are too old, and Suzuki, KK, Romanov are on their second contracts.