Saving the second line

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

I posted this on another thread but I am actually pretty happy with Ribero's play this season. I have been watching him very closely the past 3 or 4 games and the thing I notice is that he almost never loses the puck. Players almost take it away but in the end it is Ribero comes away with the puck. He is third best on the team on takeaways and tied for third best on giveaways. If only Ryder would start burying some of his chances we would all be a lot happier with Ribero.

Bonk on the othger hand has demonstrated his complete and total lack of finishing. He cannot be moved up to the second line.

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Say, what about using Bonk instead of Ribs on the second line? Begin should be more than adequate as 3rd-line C, and Bonk's past suggests that he SHOULD be able to be effective in this role.  

Or am I giving up on Mikey too soon?

I can see how one could fantaisised on how Begin would fare as a regular third line center..... which should have in itself re-enforce the irrelevance of your second proposition.

Any weaknesses associated with the CH so far ( and the less than ideal second line situation being only one of them ) where well compensated for by a team cohesion that only became possible with the healthy pairing of Koivu-Kovy aboard.

Perezhogin as done well playing with the pairing but can't do as well now that the pairing is fractionned,....and that was to be expected,.... and so it goe for the team as well,.... no amount of shuffling around will make-up for the missing tip of the iceberg.

ITs Sophmore, and no it can't be considered his sophmore season. THe guy has player more than 200 NHL games over 5 years.

He just needs to work harder defensively. Offensively I'm happy with 60 to 70 points from a 2nd line center.

The trouble with Ribs is that---points or no points---he's not looking good. Last season, he often had the puck on a string, skating in and out of traffic and creating plays where none existed. This season, his lack of speed in the context of the 'new NHL' seems to be the difference...he needs the game to slow down slightly. That's worrisome.

Thought it was softmoore. Oh well.

I would however consider this his saufmoor year, in the sense that it's his second full season as a regular. Not that I think that counts for anything.

I think part of the problem is that Ryder and Ribeiro are so used to working with different wingers, they don't even bother to use them as much as they should. You put one of the kids that holds the flags out there on that side, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. It's not for the lack of effort on the part of Higgins or whoever happens to be there, it's just that they know each other will be there, so the zero in on the other and kind of forget there's a third guy out there with them. Often times, they'll even drop it back to the defenseman if the other guy isn't open. The winger seem to be option four or five on their list.

Right now...Ribiero is not what's needed on the second line and probably never will be. Whats worse, is that as long as he is in Montreal, this is where he will be. He does'nt quite fit anywhere else does he. Definitly not a first line centre, a pretty weak Third or Fourth line centre and to even consider him as a winger on Any line would be absolutely outrageous. So the second line is stuck with Ribiero for now.

I would rather see a fast skating two-way centre in ribiero's place, one that can make players around him better in all situations and also brings some Veteren leadership. With all the young guns on the team now, its good to have players that will set the tone for the next 5 - 10 years, i dont see Ribiero as being one of these players who lead by example.

Ribiero is Too One Dimensional. Most of the time i find he waits for chances and needs room to perform.

Not to take anything away from the kidd, but he's obviously not whats needed.

I actually like how Ribeiro has been playing offensively. In our own zone I haven't noticed him much but that's better than Streit, Bonk, Rivet and Souray can say from the last 2 games. If Ribeiro can work on his decision making a bit and improve his defensive game a little (getting involved with the play) then I'll be very happy with his play.

Originally posted by option+

What about Bégin on the 2nd line?  If Julien doesn't want to play any of the kids, then why not?  It's not like he hasn't been scoring this year...

Bégin is scoring but is not a scorer. Sure that's better than a scorer who isn't scoring (Dagenais) but Bégin on the second line would defeinately weaken the team. Bégin is known as the ideal 4th liner in the league not because he isn't giood enough to play on the third line and beyond but because that's his role and the job compliments his style of play. Bégin is a checker, a leader and a grinder but NOT a scorer.

If he were on that line, he wouldn't need to be a scorer. He wouldn't be the guy with the puck all the time and making plays. He'd be the guy working the corners with Ryder and forechecking, creating turnovers. He'd be the guy sitting in front of the net and jumping on rebounds. But I do think he's better in the role of grinder and penalty killer.