Feb 6, Montreal @ Ottawa 1:00pm EST

TurdBurglar

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yup, clear better team 5v5.  But way too many penalties. 

The Romanov one was a bad call, but the rest of the Habs penalties were deserved.  However the Sens easily could have had a bunch too. 

Speaking Of RowManov 

You can see why there was so much hype. He makes mistakes in all 3 zones but that will come with nhl ice time. He also makes lots of smart, hard plays. 

Positioning, gap, boards, PP, passing, game awareness, are really strong. 

Romanov in 3 years will be impressive. I wonder if he will eventually move LD or if he will stick RD

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Speaking Of RowManov 

You can see why there was so much hype. He makes mistakes in all 3 zones but that will come with nhl ice time. He also makes lots of smart, hard plays. 

Positioning, gap, boards, PP, passing, game awareness, are really strong. 

Romanov in 3 years will be impressive. I wonder if he will eventually move LD or if he will stick RD

Nice to see that you "pronounced" it properly.

Think the habs used TC to find out where he was most comfortable ... I have no doubt he could play LD, although his worst game of the year (IMO) was when Mete was inserted and AR moved to the left side ...  with most of the Habs best prospects being LDs I would expect it is likely he remains a RD.

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yup, clear better team 5v5.  But way too many penalties. 

The Romanov one was a bad call, but the rest of the Habs penalties were deserved.  However the Sens easily could have had a bunch too. 

I feel the same way.  Most of the Habs penalties were well deserved...only one truly bad call against.  My axe to grind was how many noncalls there were on Sens infractions.

Oh well, it's a long(ish) season.  We were never going to average five goals per game the whole way through.  Allen made a few big saves to preserve the win.  We still need to figure our a way to stay out of the box, but maybe guys like Chiarot and Kulak are just penalty-prone?

56 minutes ago, Neech said:

Oh well, it's a long(ish) season.  We were never going to average five goals per game the whole way through.  Allen made a few big saves to preserve the win.  We still need to figure our a way to stay out of the box, but maybe guys like Chiarot and Kulak are just penalty-prone?

Stutzle can take credit for Kulak's penalty this afternoon, with another Sens player there would never have been a high stick to penalize. Chiarot's got a team-leading 26 minutes but 10 of those are for fighting majors.

I'm more concerned about the wide spread of minors throughout the roster. Of our regular skaters, only four (Armia, Byron, Lehkonen and Petry) have just a single penalty each to date, everyone else has been to the box at least twice, and most of them significantly more than that.

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Habs win, but only because of Allen.  I'm not sure habs win that game if Price was in net.

I was thinking the same thing. It is an odd feeling thinking that the back-up will give the team a better chance to win. If this continues, I would be offering Seattle a 2nd round pick to leave Allen alone. 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

I was thinking the same thing. It is an odd feeling thinking that the back-up will give the team a better chance to win. If this continues, I would be offering Seattle a 2nd round pick to leave Allen alone. 

What are likely to be Seattle’s options at G? Has anybody crunched that analysis out? Where does Allen stack up on this list? And let’s assume that the Kraken will know better than to fantasize that he is a bona-fide #1 guy, please.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What are likely to be Seattle’s options at G? Has anybody crunched that analysis out? Where does Allen stack up on this list? And let’s assume that the Kraken will know better than to fantasize that he is a bona-fide #1 guy, please.

Vancouver will have Holtby likely unprotected over Demko.  Allen in Montreal obviously.  Minnesota has to pick between Talbot and Kahkonen (I suspect they leave Talbot available of the two).  Dallas has Bishop with a NMC which makes Khudobin available.  I expect Quick in LA will be unprotected as well.  Maybe Vanecek in Washington garners some attention given his good start.  That's probably the realistic pool they'll choose three from (or take two of those and a younger guy).  Allen is definitely one of the more appealing options out there.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Vancouver will have Holtby likely unprotected over Demko.  Allen in Montreal obviously.  Minnesota has to pick between Talbot and Kahkonen (I suspect they leave Talbot available of the two).  Dallas has Bishop with a NMC which makes Khudobin available.  I expect Quick in LA will be unprotected as well.  Maybe Vanecek in Washington garners some attention given his good start.  That's probably the realistic pool they'll choose three from (or take two of those and a younger guy).  Allen is definitely one of the more appealing options out there.

Khudobin has an NTC -- does that not apply for the expansion draft? He would surely be one of the more attractive options as well for a #1 or #1A goalie -- much better value than Quick, I think. Add Vanecek as an inexpensive #2 or #1B to that.

Well the leafs are ripping up Vancouver big time as well.. Vancouver is really bad so I think they inflated the goals for, how good we looked, and the shooting percentage..

let’s see how the habs are playing a few vs the leafs...

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Khudobin has an NTC -- does that not apply for the expansion draft? He would surely be one of the more attractive options as well for a #1 or #1A goalie -- much better value than Quick, I think. Add Vanecek as an inexpensive #2 or #1B to that.

A NMC gives a player protection, not a NTC.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brobin said:

Well the leafs are ripping up Vancouver big time as well.. Vancouver is really bad so I think they inflated the goals for, how good we looked, and the shooting percentage..

let’s see how the habs are playing a few vs the leafs...

Poor Van, they are really in Hell right now. Whatever the flaws in their lineup (and poor depth is the biggest), their best players are pretty much all playing like dogs right now. It’s incredibly frustrating when that happens...I almost feel their pain, I’ve been there more than once as a Habs fan.

GM Benning gave an interview recently where he basically admitted that he failed to re-sign Toffoli because he didn’t get around to it in time. This is like throwing gasoline on a house fire.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

GM Benning gave an interview recently where he basically admitted that he failed to re-sign Toffoli because he didn’t get around to it in time. This is like throwing gasoline on a house fire.

I saw that one.  I interpreted it as more that he couldn't get the cap space issue worked out in time and didn't want to go over to get a deal done knowing how hard it would be to clear money.  The optics of it aren't pretty though.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought it was case of just no cap room for the Canucks, when you look at capfriendly.com they just didn't have the room, paying way too much for 3rd and 4th line guys. I am surprised he would say that, just makes him look bad. 

I think the fact the Canucks couldn't sign Taffoli shows how important it is to have some cap room just in case the right deal comes up. Getting Taffoli at 4.5m/year looks like a fantastic deal right now, eases the pain a little from the Alzner deal. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thought it was case of just no cap room for the Canucks, when you look at capfriendly.com they just didn't have the room, paying way too much for 3rd and 4th line guys. I am surprised he would say that, just makes him look bad. 

Benning has never been a very smooth interview. He has a plodding way of speaking which tends to make people think he’s dumb, and he has a tendency not to be as careful with the media as he should be. 

You can argue that he should have signed Toffoli first and sorted out the cap later. It’s tough when ownership refuses to eat bad contracts which, one suspects, they thrust upon management in the first place.

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Benning has never been a very smooth interview. He has a plodding way of speaking which tends to make people think he’s dumb, and he has a tendency not to be as careful with the media as he should be. 

You can argue that he should have signed Toffoli first and sorted out the cap later. It’s tough when ownership refuses to eat bad contracts which, one suspects, they thrust upon management in the first place.

I think Vancouver management is the author of their own misfortune right now.  "Let's see we have a little cap room so let's sign Roussel (best year 31 points) and Beagle (best year 30 points) for 3 million/year each".  I guess you could argue that these guys bring some grit and intangibles but you can get that for a lot less than 3 million/year. It also seems like 4.3million/year is a lot for Brandon Sutter. At least that contract comes off the books this year and they will need that money to resign Pettersson. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, brobin said:

As predicted... nothing coming from the nhl on he hit to evans.. all you need to do is stick out your elbow so It hits their chest and then drive your shoulder pad into their face.

I did not think the Myers hit was dispensable, but these last two definitely should have been.

15 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I did not think the Myers hit was dispensable, but these last two definitely should have been.

As far as officiating and suspensions the NHL is very inconsistent, if it was a Matthews or McDavid who took an elbow to cheek, we all know what outcome would be.

Same as a tripping or holding penalty in Oct- to- April; then, all of a sudden is not a penalty come may or june.

Is bush league and looks bad on NHL for sure, but seems has always been that way, so might as well move on and forget about it.:spamafote: