Team Leaders Montreal Toronto

Game Notes

Goals Anderson/Toffoli (9) Matthews (11) Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST
Assists Drouin (10) Marner (15) National TV: CBC, TVAS, NHLN
Points Petry (14) Marner (21) Regional TV: N/A
PIMS Chiarot (28) Simmonds (22) English Radio: TSN 690
+/- Edmundson (+14) Hyman (+11) French Radio: FM 98.5

• Like 1

BIG game for the Claude Julien tonight ... and it comes at the worst possible time ... team currently looks nothing like the team that started the season and, *** IF *** Bergevin has any doubts about his coach, tomorrow is the only logical chance MB has to make a change until after the season ... the Habs have six days off after tonight and then are into one day off between games (or 2 games in 3 days) until three days off before the last two games of the season ... *** NOT*** that I expect a change, just saying this is the fish or cut bait moment. 

I don’t see this as a coaching issue.

I honestly think our players assume they’re an elite squad and an automatic playoff team. This line of thinking has made them complacent.

Our players need to be more professional in their attitude and simply put on their work boots every night.

This might actually be a good thing. Cruising through the Reg season into the playoffs is never a guarantee of success when it matters.

Just now, zumpano21 said:

I honestly think our players assume they’re an elite squad and an automatic playoff team. This line of thinking has made them complacent.

Our players need to be more professional in their attitude and simply put on their work boots every night.

This might actually be a good thing. Cruising through the Reg season into the playoffs is never a guarantee of success when it matters.

And I am not suggesting it is a coaching issue ... I somewhat agree, also feel that opponents have played better and teams just suffer from the normal ebb and flow of a season ... but the old saying is true, its easier to change a coach than trade a bunch of players ... and trades are even more challenging than usual due to the flat cap, quarantine impacts with 24 US-based teams and possible concerns about how often you have to face a player traded in the SCOTIA North Division 

The question is whether Bergevin is confident the team will rebound ... a bad loss tonight and MB may not sleep well tonight

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

BIG game for the Claude Julien tonight ... and it comes at the worst possible time ... team currently looks nothing like the team that started the season and, *** IF *** Bergevin has any doubts about his coach, tomorrow is the only logical chance MB has to make a change until after the season ... the Habs have six days off after tonight and then are into one day off between games (or 2 games in 3 days) until three days off before the last two games of the season ... *** NOT*** that I expect a change, just saying this is the fish or cut bait moment. 

I just can't see Bergevin making a coaching change at this point in time.

Just now, tomh009 said:

I just can't see Bergevin making a coaching change at this point in time.

As I've said, I don't expect it either ...

I want to see a tougher Claude Julien behind the bench tonight.  He needs to sit passengers in favor of guys who are going hard regardless of experience/salary level, and let it be known that bad penalties will result in benchings.  It's time to get team discipline up to a high level and hold everyone accountable...the season is too short for patience.  They need to win this game.  I need them to win this game...I cannot stomach the thought of Leafs fans taunting me with "3-0" until April when we next play them!!!

3 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

The strange thing is that it almost seems like the opposite is true.  The more pro they play and the harder the Habs try they end up forcing plays that don't work out.  When they are screwing around having fun playing pond hockey they look like the 70's Habs. 

I think this lil slump could potentially be a good thing too.  Its a wake up call and should help them long term.  Just imagine if no Cdn team had figured out to check the Habs and this was happening in the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs.  

The Habs need to start flipping out.  i.e. stop passing and try flipping the puck up the ice to slightly in front of their forwards.   The real issue is they need to sucessfully get the puck up the ice.  The aggressive forechecking is preventing that. 

The Habs have speed so using aggressive forechecking against them could backfire.  The Habs are fast so they should easily be able to blow by numerous opponents in the neutral zone.   I think its possible that if the Habs can routinely get the puck up the ice they could create a lot of odd man rushes and destroy teams. 

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Tatar is healthy scratch, i heard

Not sure why?

I am not sure, but it may be performance based.  

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure why?

Trade pending?

Couldn't resist

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure why?

Is it for size or physicality reason?  The Leafs are more physical so subbing in a larger Perry over Tatar could make sense.  Plus Perry excels at being annoying around the oppositions net.  The Habs dont need to score pretty goals they need goals anyway they cant get them.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

No TAtar? 

Hurt or scratched?

I hope we get Perry KK Armia 

RDS says Perry on 4th line with Evans and Byron and Lehkonen on LW with KK and Armia

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

What are Chiarot and Weber doing?  Why is Marner wide open?

They were bad on that goal too, but have looked engaged in other games this season more often than not.  Danault, however, has been mailing it in more often than not.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What are Chiarot and Weber doing?  Why is Marner wide open?

BAD turnover by Danault ... BAD net front coverage by Weber and Chiarot

17 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Is it for size or physicality reason?  The Leafs are more physical so subbing in a larger Perry over Tatar could make sense.  Plus Perry excels at being annoying around the oppositions net.  The Habs dont need to score pretty goals they need goals anyway they cant get them.   

The Habs also put Mete in, so I’m not sure it’s that. I like Perry, but I am once again not sure that Tatar is the one that I would pull out in his favor.

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The Habs also put Mete in, so I’m not sure it’s that. I like Perry, but I am once again not sure that Tatar is the one that I would pull out in his favor.

Absent unknown injury ... think it may have been more CJ deciding he "needed" to sit TT than wanting to get Perry into the lineup

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

Should I bother turning it on? Not looking good so far

MAYBE its 1-0 because you aren't/weren't watching
;)