Byron on waivers

PMAC

To be honest, I thought that they might have done this and put Byron on the taxi squad at the beginning of the season. I really, really, like Byron but if he does get claimed it eases the salary cap crunch considerably. If he doesn’t, still great NHL depth on the taxi squad. Win, win for the Canadiens, kinda sucks for Byron. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PMAC said:

To be honest, I thought that they might have done this and put Byron on the taxi squad at the beginning of the season. I really, really, like Byron but if he does get claimed it eases the salary cap crunch considerably. If he doesn’t, still great NHL depth on the taxi squad. Win, win for the Canadiens, kinda sucks for Byron. 

Wow! This makes sense as a move, but it’s still kinda shocking.

I doubt he’ll be claimed, given general COVID cap constipation. 

EDIT: Galchenyuk on waivers as well, in an interesting coincidence.

• Like 1

I was shocked to see this happening! But it makes a lot of sense. With the depth of the Habs Byron has been relagated to a 4th line fringe player.  Goes to show how a better team makes certain players fit better roles and Byron is overpaid for his new role.  He is still useful but not the end of the world is he is claimed.  Would open up more space and there are plenty of options avaiblable if need be.

I doubt he is claimed.  Not a lot of teams that can fit that contract. 

This means that the team wants what Perry brings to the lineup on most nights. 

And Byron can save them some money on the taxi squad.  I expect he will go up and down when he clears.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And Byron can save them some money on the taxi squad.  I expect he will go up and down when he clears.

I agree ... but I wonder if a trade might at some point be possible (i.e., taking back a contract, not necessarily equal, to address cap issue)

48 minutes ago, PMAC said:

To be honest, I thought that they might have done this and put Byron on the taxi squad at the beginning of the season. I really, really, like Byron but if he does get claimed it eases the salary cap crunch considerably. If he doesn’t, still great NHL depth on the taxi squad. Win, win for the Canadiens, kinda sucks for Byron

Not as much as you might think.  It's a reputational hit but it'll be good from a money standpoint.  With the taxi squad being treated like an AHL assignment, it means he shouldn't be facing escrow on days he's down there.

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have to admit, Perry has been excellent. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think there is a possibility that Ottawa, given that they just cleared a roster spot,   or Detroit claim him. He could provide some jam and a veteran presence as these teams are very young. I’m hoping that he clears. 

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow! This makes sense as a move, but it’s still kinda shocking.

I doubt he’ll be claimed, given general COVID cap constipation. 

EDIT: Galchenyuk on waivers as well, in an interesting coincidence.

Sure is shocking. I admired Byron a great deal. Wonder what the problem is with his production? 

11 hours ago, huzer said:

With Byron being waived and most likely unclaimed, how much breathing room cap wise does this make over the course of the week?

The Habs saved a pro-rated $1.075M per day that he's off the roster.  There are 116 days in the season so the savings would be $9,267.24 per day.  Assuming he's sent down today after clearing and recalled Saturday morning, that's five days of savings which would be $46,336.20.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs saved a pro-rated $1.075M per day that he's off the roster.  There are 116 days in the season so the savings would be $9,267.24 per day.  Assuming he's sent down today after clearing and recalled Saturday morning, that's five days of savings which would be $46,336.20.

OR ... they could bring Frolik onto the roster and leave Byron on taxi squad ... still saving a pro-rated $325K per day

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... they could bring Frolik onto the roster and leave Byron on taxi squad ... still saving a pro-rated $325K per day

They could but I suspect they still plan to use Byron in the regular lineup.

Byron cleared, for anyone wondering.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They could but I suspect they still plan to use Byron in the regular lineup.

Byron cleared, for anyone wondering.

Man is Ottawa cheap. He’s definitely someone they could probably have used. Even though I think that a veteran on the D that can actually still contribute is more their need, Byron would probably be a good add to be a role model for kids die a team that won’t see the playoffs for a few more years.

Byron is a tough case. 

I’m glad he cleared because he is a good player for the sake of versatility going forward THIS season. 

I wouldn’t have minded losing the salary this season and especially future seasons. 

he still has the A so his leadership is something the team/staff recognizes. 

makes no sense that NO nhl team wanted to take him for nothing. 

I think for 2020-21, this is a good thing for the Habs. 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You can get a good role model for a whole lot less than $3.4M per year for the rest of this season and two more though.  They'd have been crazy to put in a claim.

Evidence shows you are correct - since NO ONE took him. But I still think someone could have and should have selected him and would ultimately have been glad they did. 

but, if you are going to use a waiver claim or sign a vet leader, there are better options - so that’s what they are doing. 

9 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Evidence shows you are correct - since NO ONE took him. But I still think someone could have and should have selected him and would ultimately have been glad they did. 

but, if you are going to use a waiver claim or sign a vet leader, there are better options - so that’s what they are doing. 

If you are going to use 3.4 mill in cap space on a veteran, there are teams out there who will trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or equivalent prospect) plus the veteran for a 7th ... just to free that space.

12 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

If the cap was higher and teams actually had cap room, then yeah, it could have made sense for teams to claim him.  But the cap is flat and only eight teams in the entire league could afford him based on what their current rosters are.  Of those, two of them are on there only because of temporary taxi squad shuffling (the Rangers and Predators).  And of the rest, most are in rebuilding mode and wouldn't have much use for someone like Byron.  That leaves Boston and I guess Florida.  The Panthers have been slashing payroll costs over the last year so that takes them out of the picture so is he a fit on the Bruins?  I don't think he cracks their top-nine (they're not claiming him to be a fourth liner) so I don't think he'd have fit there either.

There's absolutely a place for Byron in the NHL, even in Montreal's lineup.  But in this cap environment, there was no way he was getting claimed and better players than him will also go unclaimed.