Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

Here's an idea I have.  It looks like Colorado will leave Ryan Graves exposed.  He is a 26 year old LD on a 3.5 million dollar contract until he reaches free agency in 2 years.  Maybe we can make a deal with the Kraken to pick him and trade him to us.

This could be expensive though as maybe Colorado is offering something to the Kraken to have them leave Graves alone. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

But if you are gonna have three goalies on the roster don't you also want goalies who are Hill (25 years old), and Vanecek (25 years old) and Dreidger (27)... in three years. they will still be in their prime and one of them is likely your starter.

The Athletic is predicting they take Hill and Vanecek.

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Here's an idea I have.  It looks like Colorado will leave Ryan Graves exposed.  He is a 26 year old LD on a 3.5 million dollar contract until he reaches free agency in 2 years.  Maybe we can make a deal with the Kraken to pick him and trade him to us.

This could be expensive though as maybe Colorado is offering something to the Kraken to have them leave Graves alone. 

I dont think Graves is that good.  Hes a bottom pair guy.  We have two defenceman who are better and play a similar style in edmundson and chiarot.  Then we have romanov with a high ceiling and needs to play.  

Id rather spend 3.5 million elsewhere.

Graves is a JAG "just a guy" whose numbers are inflated by playing on a team with 3 absolute studs on D in Girard, Toews, Makar plus all that offensive talent up front.

• Like 1

I know it could all be BS, but I absolutely love the attitude Allen expresses in this interview. Makes me want to keep him around all the more. https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-cant-afford-to-lose-goalie-jake-allen-to-seattle

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know it could all be BS, but I absolutely love the attitude Allen expresses in this interview. Makes me want to keep him around all the more. https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-cant-afford-to-lose-goalie-jake-allen-to-seattle

Yeah. I want to see him stay, and I'm hopeful that the Kraken will find their goalies elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think Graves is that good.  Hes a bottom pair guy.  We have two defenceman who are better and play a similar style in edmundson and chiarot.  Then we have romanov with a high ceiling and needs to play.  

Id rather spend 3.5 million elsewhere.

Graves is a JAG "just a guy" whose numbers are inflated by playing on a team with 3 absolute studs on D in Girard, Toews, Makar plus all that offensive talent up front.

Thanks.  I haven't seen him play much so I was mainly going by his stats. 

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... Talbot could be flipped for a mid-round pick if need be if there's other goalies they like more.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken pick 4-5 goalies with a view to trading a couple to teams needing a second goalie ... maybe even in pre-arranged deals [i.e., you pick goalie X and we'll trade you a player, pick(s) and/or prospect(s) for him] ... that could make Allen seem even more appealing; he could be a veteran for the Kraken or a valuable trade chip.

I do not know if this will work for defensemen, but let's try. I looked at the list of defensemen that will probably * _ NOT _ * be protected by their teams and tried to compare them to the Habs defensement that may be available.

Seattle needs to take at least nine (9).

(ordered by expected goals-for percentage (xGF%)

Hamilton, Barrie, Toews, Forsling, Holl, Cernak, Oleksiak, Dunn, Skjei, Fabro, Kulikov, Mayfield, Montour, Savard, Fortbort, Poolman, Larsson

image.png

Or Brett Kulak, Cale Fleury ?

Toews will be protected. Eric Johnson waived his NMC so the Avs could protect him. 

Hamilton, Barrie, Oleksiak, Savard, Montour, Larsson are UFAs (just off the top of my head).

Mayfield may be protected as the Isles could go 4-4

Seattle likely does like Vegas and takes 12-13 and flips some for draft picks. 

One of the guys I was hoping we could have targeted was Dumba, but Guerin showed he has even bigger balls as a GM than a player by buying out Suter AND Parise.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Toews will be protected. Eric Johnson waived his NMC so the Avs could protect him. 

Hamilton, Barrie, Oleksiak, Savard, Montour, Larsson are UFAs (just off the top of my head).

Mayfield may be protected as the Isles could go 4-4

Seattle likely does like Vegas and takes 12-13 and flips some for draft picks. 

if Seattle takes an UFA from a team, for example Merrill, doesn't that count as the choice from that team?

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Allen aside, what is the worst loss amung Hab skaters we could expect? Kulak?

I guess they do pick Kulak. I can’t think of anyone else that won’t be protected. 

There is an outside chance IMO that they take Weber - if and only if Weber’s injuries are truly fixable in the one year. His leadership would be invaluable to an expansion team. 

I really think leaving Weber unprotected forces Seattle to take Allen.  For this reason we might trade him but would we get more than Kulak is worth?

The only other possibility is that we also leave Drouin unprotected and they take him.  Maybe trading Allen means Seattle will pick Drouin.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if Seattle takes an UFA from a team, for example Merrill, doesn't that count as the choice from that team?

If seattle signs a ufa in their exclusive predraft window, yes that counts as the pick 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Seattle did something stupid like using the early window to sign Merrill, Francis would be fired in a NY minute.

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If Seattle did something stupid like using the early window to sign Merrill, Francis would be fired in a NY minute.

Just an example buddy 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe they sign Danault?

Hence the debate about whether or not to protect Danault even if he hasn't been re-signed ... risk Seattle signing him if unprotected or leave another forward exposed to ensure they have the opportunity to sign him before free agency ... I expect they will protect him.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Ballsy.

So. That says that Danault has not (yet) dropped his salary expectations. And that Danault will not be protected in the expansion draft.

So, with Weber and Danault both off the list, the list of candidates to be protected is shrinking ...

Its the right play.  You have to have a limit as far as what youll pay Danault and if he wants more than that limit, tell him to see if another team will give it to him

If they will, ok now we replace danault.

If they wont the offer is on the table.

Worse than losing danault is paying him too much and losing someone else later.  You cant give him 6 or 7 m

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its the right play.  You have to have a limit as far as what youll pay Danault and if he wants more than that limit, tell him to see if another team will give it to him

If they will, ok now we replace danault.

If they wont the offer is on the table.

Worse than losing danault is paying him too much and losing someone else later.  You cant give him 6 or 7 m

that makes lots of sense