Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

What if making Price available is a signal that the Habs want to give Primeau NHL games and can’t do that with Price and Allen?  Price having 5 years left may hamper re-signing Primeau, so they are giving Price the option to go somewhere else?

Let’s face it, Allen has a steal of a contract, and is pretty valuable as good as he plays and has a very attractive contract. 

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

What if making Price available is a signal that the Habs want to give Primeau NHL games

Dont think so, he aint ready.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

What if making Price available is a signal that the Habs want to give Primeau NHL games and can’t do that with Price and Allen?  Price having 5 years left may hamper re-signing Primeau, so they are giving Price the option to go somewhere else?

Let’s face it, Allen has a steal of a contract, and is pretty valuable as good as he plays and has a very attractive contract. 

Premieau is not the answer. If Price is picked up, or, if the Kraken take someone else, but a price is not available, we need to pick up another goalie and let Primeau develops and get a lot of minutes in Laval.

If the Kraken take Price, we need to get a legit 1a who is actually better than Allen.  If Price is not take. And expected to be out 2-3 months, or potentially longer, we still need to get a good 1a/1b type of goalie.  Even if Price is only expected to be gone for a month. We need a more legit backup while he is out.  

There is no room for making the playoffs because of a slow start, and we can’t afford a prolonged losing streak now that we are back in the Atlantic. Premieau is definitely not the answer. Who knows, he may come into training camp and it looks like a switch has been flipped and suddenly he is ready. But no way I go into the season hoping that’s the case. Covid already hurt Premieau’s development time, we need to make sure he gets the time he needs in the AHL.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

A lot of the ones that were hoping for this to happen back when we had our yearly tail spin must be happy with this news.

But man if Price did play with bad hips and knee and played that well more respect to him.  Also more respect to Weber playing through the pain he did. 

To heck with saying it then - I was thinking about it before the season. Then when he had his third mediocre season in 4 years, I was sold on the idea. Then the playoffs happened. It's hard to ignore what he just did. He actually looked like Carey Price again. I will certainly be watching this whole thing unfold with a lot of nervousness about losing him. I didn't want to trade Halak after the run he had all those years ago and I wouldn't want to lose Price now.

That being said, I'm also laughing at people calling it the worst decision in the history of the franchise, like A Winning Habit did. I've been a huge Bergevin detractor, but I admire the guts it takes to do this, even though I think it is crazy for him to risk his job over Jake Allen. Because there is no doubt that he has to be let go if they lose Price and cannot replace him with Grubauer (UFA), Varlamov (trade), or some other #1 starter that may be attainable.  But if they don't lose Price or lose him and are able to replace him with a high level replacement on a cheaper contract, then he comes out looking like a genius. The next two weeks is going to make or break his career and will determine if it does end up being an all time bad decision.

I would hate to see Price go, but if he does get selected, it’s not a franchise killing move.  With Weber probably out the whole next season and if Price goes to Seattle, that’s $18m in cap space free.  That’s a legit #1 goalie and defenseman right there, even on the overpriced UFA market.  There’s also the question of Drouin, another $5m in cap space, that I don’t see returning to Montreal.

38 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Not in 2021-22, he's not ready.

But they may think Primeau will be ready before the the 5 years that Price is signed for is up. 

I am now reading various reports saying It was Price’s idea to waive his NMC and be exposed so the Habs didn’t lose Allen.   That he expects to miss significant time to start next season and wanted to make sure Allen was there to be the no 1 while he was injured.

This is getting very interesting.  

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not in 2021-22, he's not ready.

But they may think Primeau will be ready before the the 5 years that Price is signed for is up. 

I was on the Primeau band wagon early in the season too but his game is not ready. His positioning and rebound controls are just not there yet. Although you can certainly see the raw talent. 

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I am now reading various reports saying It was Price’s idea to waive his NMC and be exposed so the Habs didn’t lose Allen.   That he expects to miss significant time to start next season and wanted to make sure Allen was there to be the no 1 while he was injured.

Is he really hurt bad or is this marketing to scare the Kraken away?

The "injury" angle is very interesting: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/carey-prices-uncertain-injury-status-complicates-krakens-decision/

The Kraken will get no info on this before decision time. Is this a ploy by Price and the Habs - a devious trading on his history of injury to scare Seattle away? If he is injured, how bad is it? (If it is serious, it is just one more illustration of the whole "Carey Price" problem, i.e., he cannot be counted upon, at least in the regular season).

Curiouser and curiouser...

Hes a goalie who has played a lot and goes side to side HARD... his hip being messed up is not surprising. Its a common injury that many other goalies in their 30s have had.

His knee also being bad is not surprising.  He had the kreider incident and the lost season shortly thereafter and a few lower body injuries since then.  Being at the point it now needs surgery would not shock me.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Hes a goalie who has played a lot and goes side to side HARD... his hip being messed up is not surprising.

His knee also being bad is not surprising.  He had the kreider incident and the lost season shortly thereafter and a few lower body injuries since then.  Being at the point it now needs surgery would not shock me.

I believe that Price may need some surgery but is it as serious as is being said?

I have my doubts 

25 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Francis talking to MB:"Alright, I raise your bluff by demanding a 1st round pick to not take Price"

It’s basically a 2nd round pick anyway, so how about a 1st and you take Weber’s contract?

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

i was wondering if Price had motive to help keep Allen when agreed to waive NMC. Maybe he sees Allen as cut above all his other back ups who didnt fare as well.

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It’s basically a 2nd round pick anyway, so how about a 1st and you take Weber’s contract?

Why would we give up a 1st rounder is Weber can go on LTIR??  I wouldn’t give up anything to protect price either. Let the Kraken do what they want and we will need to adjust our plans on Wednesday after they’ve made their decision.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why would we give up a 1st rounder is Weber can go on LTIR??  I wouldn’t give up anything to protect price either. Let the Kraken do what they want and we will need to adjust our plans on Wednesday after they’ve made their decision.

There’s no guarantee the NHL would grant Weber or the Canadiens full LTIR for Weber’s contract.  Montreal isn’t Tampa and Kucherov.

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

There’s no guarantee the NHL would grant Weber or the Canadiens full LTIR for Weber’s contract.  Montreal isn’t Tampa and Kucherov.

If they granted it for Hossa's skin condition, they are going to grant it to Weber. Its just a matter of getting the NHL his medical records and giving NHL doctors time to look at them. It took like 4-6 weeks to approve Hossa IIRC.  We can all see that Weber is playing in pain and his knee is screwed up. 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

If it wasn't Seattle no way he is waving his NMC, It's a win win for Price. It's close to his home ,  So if he doesn't get picked it's a win for him, Allan and Montreal. If he does get picked it's a win for him and his family.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Dont think so, he aint ready.

Agree ... but, even if Price and Allen are both back, wouldn't surprise me to see the Habs pre-plan a handful of games for Primeau next season to give Price a few full nights off.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Francis talking to MB:"Alright, I raise your bluff by demanding a 1st round pick to not take Price"

Ans then MB says "go ahead and take him" while trying to figure out how to use that extra 10.5M in cap space. I will be very surprised if Seattle takes him. A lot of money to tie up in a goalie who may not be 100%. Francis would likely prefer to use up cap space enticing younger free agents. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Ans then MB says "go ahead and take him" while trying to figure out how to use that extra 10.5M in cap space. I will be very surprised if Seattle takes him. A lot of money to tie up in a goalie who may not be 100%. Francis would likely prefer to use up cap space enticing younger free agents. 

Price is a marketable star ️ 

Not sure if ownership is involved in decisions but if they are, then surely this is a serious consideration 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure if ownership is involved in decisions but if they are, then surely this is a serious consideration 

I had the same thought. It's not all about Ron Francis's hockey acumen. Ownership may be very tempted by the thought of having a legend on the Kraken who they can market.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am not sure if goalies would attract new fans like a Mcdavid or Mackinnon would.  I don't ever remember getting excited to go to a game because a certain goalie was playing. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not sure if goalies would attract new fans like a Mcdavid or Mackinnon would.  I don't ever remember getting excited to go to a game because a certain goalie was playing. 

Carey Price and Patrick Roy have both been marketable stars in Montreal.  Who in the last 30 years has sold more jerseys with their name on the back? tshirts, etc... etc...