Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not sure if goalies would attract new fans like a Mcdavid or Mackinnon would.  I don't ever remember getting excited to go to a game because a certain goalie was playing. 

Tend to agree ... but he is a BIG NAME to have as the face of an expansion team ... still, seems unlikely to me

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Carey Price and Patrick Roy have both been marketable stars in Montreal.  Who in the last 30 years has sold more jerseys with their name on the back? tshirts, etc... etc...

Yes, marketable stars in a hockey crazy city like Montreal. Just don't think goalies would generate the same level of excitement in a new market like Seattle. Not to the extent they would pay 10.5M a year and an 11 M bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, marketable stars in a hockey crazy city like Montreal. Just don't think goalies would generate the same level of excitement in a new market like Seattle. Not to the extent they would pay 10.5M a year and an 11 M bonus. 

They aren't paying both 10.5 a year and an 11 million bonus.

10.5 is the cap hit

11 is the bonus due September 1st

In total (including the 11 bonus), they pay 44.25 million over 5 years or just under 9 mill per season on average.

Price's contract is front loaded, so he got almost 40 million of the 84 total in the first 3 years, leaving 44.25 over the next 5. 

That said, you also have to consider they are going to have some goalie there.  Probably another 3 million dollar guy to go 1a/1b with dreidger at minimum.  Is Price's merchandising and ticket sales worth 6 million a year is the question, not 10.5, or 9.... its 6 cause you have to pay the faceless, non-marketable goalie 3. 

Thats the big question... I don't know the answer, but i know the question is, is he worth 30 million or so over 5 years to an expansion team in real money. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They aren't paying both 10.5 a year and an 11 million bonus.

10.5 is the cap hit

11 is the bonus due September 1st

In total (including the 11 bonus), they pay 44.25 million over 5 years or just under 9 mill per season on average.

Price's contract is front loaded, so he got almost 40 million of the 84 total in the first 3 years, leaving 44.25 over the next 5. 

That said, you also have to consider they are going to have some goalie there.  Probably another 3 million dollar guy to go 1a/1b with dreidger at minimum.  Is Price's merchandising and ticket sales worth 6 million a year is the question, not 10.5, or 9.... its 6 cause you have to pay the faceless, non-marketable goalie 3. 

Thats the big question... I don't know the answer, but i know the question is, is he worth 30 million or so over 5 years to an expansion team in real money. 

Fair point, I was looking at the cap hit not the actual dollars being paid out. Thanks for shedding a little more light on the situation. 

I assume that if Carey goes on LTIR his salary is paid by some insurance the Habs hold.

But if Seattle picks him wouldn't the Kraken (rather than some insurance) have to pay the salary even if he is on LTIR?

20 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

I assume that if Carey goes on LTIR his salary is paid by some insurance the Habs hold.

But if Seattle picks him wouldn't the Kraken (rather than some insurance) have to pay the salary even if he is on LTIR?

Not every long-term contract is insured so that's not a guarantee.  I believe the policy transfers with the player in a trade although I'm not 100% sure about that one.

Ok, here goes my Kraken expansion draft. I'll post it this way: best player available (BPA) under contract, UFAs for key positions, best players available RFAs

BPA-under-contract

NASH Johansen, Ryan
OTT    Dadonov, Evgeni
CBJ    Domi, Max
WIN    Appleton, Mason
BUF    Eakin, Cody
ARZ    Pitlick, Tyler
VAN    Gadjovich, Jonah
NYR    Gauthier, Julien
PHI     Gostisbehere, Shayne
ANA   Fleury, Haydn
SJS    Meloche, Nicolas
MIN    Kähkönen, Kaapo
WSH  Vanecek, Vitek

UFAs

COL    Landeskog, Gabriel
BOS    Hall, Taylor
MTL    Danault, Phillip
TOR    Hyman, Zach
CHI    Quenneville, John
NJD    Murray, Ryan
EDM    Barrie, Tyson
FLA    Driedger, Chris

RFAs

NYI    Bellows, Kieffer
PIT    Miletic, Sam
DAL    Mascherin, Adam
STL    Dunn, Vince
DET    Cholowski, Dennis
LAK    Clague, Kale
CAR    Bean, Jake
TBL    Foote, Cal
CGY    Kylington, Oliver

Lineup

Landeskog-Johansen-Dadonov

Hall-Danault-Hyman

Quenneville-Domi-Appleton

Bellows-Eakin-Pittlick

Murray-Barrie

Gotisbehere-Dunn

Cholowski-Fleury

Kahkonen/Driedge

All players must clear waivers, so that means that at the latest at the end of training camp they will have to trade good players for picks and Waive-Exempt prospects

My Salary cap is around $75M

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, here goes my Kraken expansion draft. I'll post it this way: best player available (BPA) under contract, UFAs for key positions, best players available RFAs

BPA-under-contract

NASH Johansen, Ryan
OTT    Dadonov, Evgeni
CBJ    Domi, Max
WIN    Appleton, Mason
BUF    Eakin, Cody
ARZ    Pitlick, Tyler
VAN    Gadjovich, Jonah
NYR    Gauthier, Julien
ANA   Fleury, Haydn
SJS    Meloche, Nicolas
MIN    Kähkönen, Kaapo
WSH  Vanecek, Vitek

UFAs

BOS    Hall, Taylor
MTL    Danault, Phillip
TOR    Hyman, Zach
CHI    Quenneville, John
NJD    Murray, Ryan
EDM    Barrie, Tyson
FLA    Driedger, Chris

RFAs

NYI    Bellows, Kieffer
PIT    Miletic, Sam
DAL    Mascherin, Adam
STL    Dunn, Vince
DET    Cholowski, Dennis
LAK    Clague, Kale
CAR    Bean, Jake
TBL    Foote, Cal
CGY    Kylington, Oliver

Lineup

Hall-Danault-Hyman

Bellows-Eakin-Pittlick

Murray-Barrie

Gotisbehere-Dunn

Cholowski-Fleury

Kahkonen/Driedge

All players must clear waivers, so that means that at the latest at the end of training camp they will have to trade good players for picks and Waive-Exempt prospects

If Seattle is taking an expensive player from Nashville- which I don’t see them doing unlesss it’s a side deal with retention, it would probably be Duschane, not Johansen. I know Duschane’s got more years, but Johansen has sucked more.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was not sure which one to chose, went with the younger one. One year less at $8M

I think Johansen started wearing out his welcome a couple of years ago like he did in Columbus. I also think Francis is more likely to take Price, than one of the high priced Nashville centres, or Tarasenko, from the blues, unless it’s part of a side deal, where the preds, or Blues retain salary.  On the other hand the Preds, don’t have as obvious as a puck like Dunn is for that Blues.

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Johansen started wearing out his welcome a couple of years ago like he did in Columbus. I also think Francis is more likely to take Price, than one of the high priced Nashville centres, or Tarasenko, from the blues, unless it’s part of a side deal, where the preds, or Blues retain salary.  On the other hand the Preds, don’t have as obvious as a puck like Dunn is for that Blues.

Nashville's availabel players is a pathetic. Granlund, Sissons, Haula ares not impact players; Gubradson and Borrowiecko are fringe NHLers at best. The few prospects are not  that great.

So, it has to be an overpaid center

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nashville's availabel players is a pathetic. Granlund, Sissons, Haula ares not impact players; Gubradson and Borrowiecko are fringe NHLers at best. The few prospects are not  that great.

Why does it have to be an overpaid centre??? When they had the expansion drafts in the 90’s, I think it was Bob Clarke that tried to pick Lafleur (who was retired) from the Nordiques, because the other choices were garbage - and they had no salary cap than.

you don’t take a stupid contract, without some additional incentive from Nashville. You take a forth line grunt/6th dman if you have to, and keep the cap space.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Tampa is the only team deep enough that they exposed an impact player for reasons other than age/contract. That's how an expansion draft works - everyone protects their 9-11 best players unless they have some reason not to protect all of their best players.

Seattle has to take 30 players, so there will be fringe NHLers selected. Nashville is a spot that will come down to their other selections. Like Domi in Columbus. If they have the room, they'll take Johansen and Domi. If they use up space on other players, then they'll take guys like Haula or Stenlund.

13 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Tampa is the only team deep enough that they exposed an impact player for reasons other than age/contract. That's how an expansion draft works - everyone protects their 9-11 best players unless they have some reason not to protect all of their best players.

Seattle has to take 30 players, so there will be fringe NHLers selected. Nashville is a spot that will come down to their other selections. Like Domi in Columbus. If they have the room, they'll take Johansen and Domi. If they use up space on other players, then they'll take guys like Haula or Stenlund.

that is why in my list the salary cap is used for UFAs and the grunts are   Appleton, Eakin, Pitlick

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

BPA-under-contract

NASH Johansen, Ryan
OTT    Dadonov, Evgeni
CBJ    Domi, Max
WIN    Appleton, Mason
BUF    Eakin, Cody
ARZ    Pitlick, Tyler
VAN    Gadjovich, Jonah
NYR    Gauthier, Julien
ANA   Fleury, Haydn
SJS    Meloche, Nicolas
MIN    Kähkönen, Kaapo
WSH  Vanecek, Vitek

UFAs

BOS    Hall, Taylor
MTL    Danault, Phillip
TOR    Hyman, Zach
CHI    Quenneville, John
NJD    Murray, Ryan
EDM    Barrie, Tyson
FLA    Driedger, Chris

RFAs

NYI    Bellows, Kieffer
PIT    Miletic, Sam
DAL    Mascherin, Adam
STL    Dunn, Vince
DET    Cholowski, Dennis
LAK    Clague, Kale
CAR    Bean, Jake
TBL    Foote, Cal
CGY    Kylington, Oliver

Lineup

Hall-Danault-Hyman

Bellows-Eakin-Pittlick

Murray-Barrie

Gotisbehere-Dunn

Cholowski-Fleury

Kahkonen/Driedge

There must be 20 players on existing contracts selected (you only have 13) so your scenario isn't allowable by the expansion rules.  (You also need at least 3 goalies.)

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There must be 20 players on existing contracts selected (you only have 13) so your scenario isn't allowable by the expansion rules.  (You also need at least 3 goalies.)

image.png

Speed dating to sign all the UFAs, RFAs...

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Seattle has to take 30 players, so there will be fringe NHLers selected. 

Like Kulak, or Fleury most likely.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So, you take someone like Haula. He can contribute and is not overpaid (as I recall). You have to make 31 picks and most of them will NOT be impact players.

EDIT: Haula is UFA, so that doesn't help much. Ah well.

The Athletic has made available an expansion list (Eric Duhatschek, Ryan S. Clark) :

https://theathletic.com/2715340/2021/07/20/seattle-kraken-mock-expansion-draft/?redirected=1

I have their three goalie selections in my list... and 5 out of 15 in my defensemen list (I took a lot of Ds), then my list crashes and burns with only one forward in both lists (Landeskog)

We'll find out tomorrow how close I am

Has anyone else tried creating a list?

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Still doesn't matter.  It has to be 20 contracts already signed prior to the protection lists being released.

Then why The Athletic and other commentators and analysts have UFAs and RFAs in their lists ?

I am utterly confused 

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Then why The Athletic and other commentators and analysts have UFAs and RFAs in their lists ?

I am utterly confused 

They are taking 30 players... a maximum of 10 of those players can be UFAs/RFAs.... 

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They are taking 30 players... a maximum of 10 of those players can be UFAs/RFAs.... 

10!

darn it! I’ll have to re-do my list now :)

Ok, here is my updated and fixed list.  A $80M/cap after signing the UFA/RFs

with too many defensemen and just Kahko that can be waived, which will allow for some trades for picks and prospects.

UNDER CONTRACT

NASH Johansen, Ryan
OTT    Dadonov, Evgeni
PHI    Voracek, Jakub
TBL    Gourde, Yanni
NYI    Bailey, Josh
WIN    Appleton, Mason
ARZ    Pitlick, Tyler
LAK    Lemieux, Brendan
BUF    Girgensons, Zemgus
NYR    Gauthier, Julien
VAN    Gadjovich, Jonah