Three strikes and you're out - or fired!

titanfan

Strike 1 - Carey Price sucks!

No, I am not commenting on Carey Price the person (I don't know him), and I am not commenting on Carey Price's career.  But, right now - in 2021 - Carey Price the goaltender sucks!  Big Time!  Not only is he not playing like a $10.5 million goalie.  He isn't playing like an NHL goalie, period.  Plenty of goaltenders have been benched, sent down to the minors, or cut for the way he is playing.  Forget the contract...he needs to be better to have a job in the NHL at minimum salary...

Strike 2 - the NHL sucks!

Hockey is a game that should be decided on the ice!  Not in a boardroom in Toronto.  It is a fast paced game, played by men, who should be competing for every inch of ice and battling to win.  The NHL not only discourages that, but randomly decides when to allow or disallow a goal when it strikes their fancy.  (Just ask Gallagher).

This NHL doesn't just suck, it is a joke.  No other sport has screwed up video review as bad as the NHL (and that is saying a lot).  I can give you plenty of reasons, but since this is a 3 strikes post - I'll mention 3. 

1. Brett Hull's skate in the crease. Dallas won the cup BECAUSE the NHL decided to ignore their own rule (as stupid a rule as it was - they followed it all season, and then when it was convenient (or maybe inconvenient) they chose to ignore it. 

2. The idiotic offside rule (that they thankfully have changed this year).  Is it a goal? Or did his skate come off the ice as he crossed the blueline 53 seconds before the goal was scored...  Need I say more?

3. Last night's winning goal (or no goal).  I mean, come on.  The goaltender never even lost his footing. He spun around and had plenty of time to be set.....   I am preaching to the choir here...

Strike 3 - Claude Julien's inability to adjust sucks!

Yes, up until this year he has had a poor hockey team that needed to play perfect systems to have a chance to win.  That team needed a coach that put a plan in place and cracked the whip.

This year is a different.  Claude couldn't adjust.  Just look back to the start of the season.  Basically, there was no time for training camps.  Get everybody quarantined and let's drop the puck and play.  So many new faces in the lineup, all Julien could do was make lines and say 'boys you all know how to play hockey, let's go and have some fun.'  And guess, what they won!  And they scored!  And the powerplay worked!

Fast forward to now - the team had a few days off (then a whole week), Julien had time to put his 'system' in place.  Suddenly, NOTHING WORKED.  The team can't win, they can't score and the PP sucks!  The team clearly hated playing for him.  I could go on.  

Claude Julien wouldn't (couldn't) adjust his coaching style to a team that had talent, and he lost the room!  And he deservedly lost his job. 

I believe that Strike No. 2 had little bearing on what transpired this morning, but it still sucks how arbitrary the NHL is.  It really leaves the door open for 'fixing games'.  (Sure looked like it last night...)  (Maybe, if Gallagher's goal counted, Julien might have lasted another week, but the writing was on the wall.)

Julien was his own worst enemy, as number 3 showed.  But, even with Strike 3 and Strike 2, he most likely would have lasted longer except for Strike No. 1........

Oh, and did I mention Carey Price sucks!  (God, I hope he get his shit together).

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We could convince him to be exposed to Kraken 😃

Maybe he is embarrassed?

Kraken get a leader, celebrity, super great goalie. 

Habs get 10.5 million in cap space 

Or am I still crazy?

Not totally ... but expect that ****IF**** Price goes to Seattle it will be in a post-draft trade in which the Habs retain say 1/3 ($3.5 million) of the cap-hit

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Maybe its the coaching and not Price.

You know what maybe it is the coaching and Price will get the opportunity for sure. 

I was looking at a heat map of Allen vs Price and I believe it was specific to Pk and Price faced significantly tougher shots - and it was by a wide margin for some reason 

• dlbalr changed the title to Three strikes and you're out - or fired!

Carey Price is no longer an NHL calibre goaltender.  Throw numbers out all you want, but just look at the soft goals he has let in.

The JOB of an NHL goaltender is To Give Your Team A Chance To Win - Carey Price is no longer capable of doing that.

10 hours ago, titanfan said:

Carey Price is no longer an NHL calibre goaltender.  Throw numbers out all you want, but just look at the soft goals he has let in.

The JOB of an NHL goaltender is To Give Your Team A Chance To Win - Carey Price is no longer capable of doing that.

I think that is harsh ... but I would say he is currently not a reliable NHL goalie ... I think it is more in his head than his talent (although I do think he his not quite the talent he once was) ...  if they had the cap space I would say "send him home" ... a week without hockey and then a meeting with Dr. David Scott (Canadiens, Consultant, Sports Psychology) ... likely only way they could do that now is if Carey self-declares as needing the time off for mental health purposes so he can go LTIR and free up cap space ... I don't see that happening ... and, of course the 10 game & 24 day LTIR limit would mean 13 games off in this schedule.

12 hours ago, titanfan said:

🎣 :rolleyes:🎣

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think that is harsh ... but I would say he is currently not a reliable NHL goalie ... I think it is more in his head than his talent (although I do think he his not quite the talent he once was) ...  if they had the cap space I would say "send him home" ... a week without hockey and then a meeting with Dr. David Scott (Canadiens, Consultant, Sports Psychology) ... likely only way they could do that now is if Carey self-declares as needing the time off for mental health purposes so he can go LTIR and free up cap space ... I don't see that happening ... and, of course the 10 game & 24 day LTIR limit would mean 13 games off in this schedule.

LTIR doesn't do much for the Habs here.  When you use it, you cut into your remaining cap space.  Sure, it'd allow them to bring an extra goalie onto the active roster but the end result will be less cap space once Price was to be activated.  For a team that doesn't have much cap room, this isn't the most ideal of scenarios.