Feb. 27, Habs vs Jets, 10 PM

dlbalr

OK, OK, I did not, in the end, watch this one.

However, by all accounts the team played well and "deserved to win."

I'll take that as a good sign. It is an old truism in hockey that toward the end of a hot streak, you win a couple you deserve to lose, and toward the end of a slump, you lose a couple you deserve to win.

What I can say is that the above truism assumes that the team that is coming out of the slump avoids arbitrary lineup changes which risk sabotaging its improved play. This, I'd argue, means that Allen should stay in for the next game. Going back to Price is too risky, since his incompetence may wreck the fragile positive momentum.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OK, OK, I did not, in the end, watch this one.

However, by all accounts the team played well and "deserved to win."

I'll take that as a good sign. It is an old truism in hockey that toward the end of a hot streak, you win a couple you deserve to lose, and toward the end of a slump, you lose a couple you deserve to win.

What I can say is that the above truism assumes that the team that is coming out of the slump avoids arbitrary lineup changes which risk sabotaging its improved play. This, I'd argue, means that Allen should stay in for the next game. Going back to Price is too risky, since his incompetence may wreck the fragile positive momentum.

100%  I said it last night, and I will repeat it today: Jake Allen should remain the starter until he lets in more than 3 goals in a game, win or lose.  I don't care if that means the next 5 starts in a row....Carey needs to sit and fix his head, then earn back even a 50-50 split with a quality start when he does get his chance, whenever that may be.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Danault was out to win the faceoff but it is a defensive posture again. It’s OT we need to score not defend ...

If you are worried about the opposition starting O/T with three very skilled forwards, start KK or Suzuki with your two best skating defencemen (petry and Romanov last night) ... at this point, Danault should only be on the ice in O/T for a defensive zone face-off, if he has been by far the best Hab on the draw that night

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I'll take that as a good sign. It is an old truism in hockey that toward the end of a hot streak, you win a couple you deserve to lose, and toward the end of a slump, you lose a couple you deserve to win ..

The exact same thing I thought when I heard the result ... and again after "watching" the PVR'd game with liberal use of "fast-ish forward" ... hope we are right

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

100%  I said it last night, and I will repeat it today: Jake Allen should remain the starter until he lets in more than 3 goals in a game, win or lose.  I don't care if that means the next 5 starts in a row....Carey needs to sit and fix his head, then earn back even a 50-50 split with a quality start when he does get his chance, whenever that may be.

I'll sort of agree ... Allen on Tuesday ... that will give Price six days off before Thursday game and three days for mandatory meetings with Dr. David Scott (Habs Sports Psychology Consultant) ... based on his recommendation decide what to do Thursday and going forward ... *** if *** Carey needs more time off then see off he will accept being waived to go to the taxi squad ... that will allow Habs the cap space to recall a backup to the roster ... if not, Byron goes to the taxi squad (he has cleared waivers) or Evans gets waived (he is likely - IMO - to clear) ... other options would be Kulak or Mete but I think either might be claimed.

UNKNOWN: Would waiving his NMC to be waived negate the clause entirely or would it be a one-time thing ... if the former than there is no way he would, or should, waive the NMC.

The Habs need to keep shuffling Byron back and forth regardless of what happens with Price in your scenario.  They haven't banked enough cap space to cover bonuses let alone try to add someone else.  Evans is waiver-exempt so no need to waive him.  Keep sending him, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Romanov down when possible; I'd actually like to see them start doing like other teams and call up cheaper taxi squad guys on those days, banking more space in the process by sending more than one of those guys down.  Is it fair?  Not really but if other teams can do it, so can Montreal.

In your Price being waived to the taxi squad scenario (one I think has a 0% of chance of happening), the waiving of the clause wouldn't be permanent.  It would just be for that particular instance.  But if he needs more than a week to clear his head, he can still dress as the backup.  That would be his response and I don't think management would even approach him to consider it knowing he can still just serve as the backup.

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My bigger concern in that scenario would be having Allen play 6-7 games within two weeks. I think that's outside his comfort zone.

If that is outside Allen's Comfort zone then have Price start more.  Allen is playing the better of the 2 right now, he deserves the bulk whatever starts he is comfortable with.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs need to keep shuffling Byron back and forth regardless of what happens with Price in your scenario.  They haven't banked enough cap space to cover bonuses let alone try to add someone else.  Evans is waiver-exempt so no need to waive him.  Keep sending him, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Romanov down when possible; I'd actually like to see them start doing like other teams and call up cheaper taxi squad guys on those days, banking more space in the process by sending more than one of those guys down.  Is it fair?  Not really but if other teams can do it, so can Montreal.

In your Price being waived to the taxi squad scenario (one I think has a 0% of chance of happening), the waiving of the clause wouldn't be permanent.  It would just be for that particular instance.  But if he needs more than a week to clear his head, he can still dress as the backup.  That would be his response and I don't think management would even approach him to consider it knowing he can still just serve as the backup.

I totally agree there is almost no chance Price would waive his NMC, and hopefully didn't imply I did, but if he needs additional "time off" I'm not certain that going through the game-day routine, sitting on the end of the bench and joining his teammates in the locker room between periods actually provides it.