Call up Hainsey/CBJ Claim Him

GoHabs2002

Gainey should call up Hainsey.

Firstly, I can't fathom him doing a worst job than Streit. It might take Hainsey a while, but maybe with time and a little chance he could show us some of what got him drafted so high.

How do you do this, you ask, without losing him and having to pay half his salary through the re-entry waiver system?

Easy!

Go to St. Louis and offer them a 4th round draft pick to pick Hainsey from the waiver wire and trade him back to the Habs.

Since the waivers work with worst team getting the first pick, St. Louis, as the team with the least amount of points, would get first grab at any player on waivers. So, St. Louis picks him up, gets a 4th rounder and the Habs don't lose Hainsey.

Then give him 3 games, whoever is better between he and Striet stays. Simple.

[Edited on 11-29-05 by Fanpuck33]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to say, it but a fourth rd pick is far too high of a price for Hainsey to have a 3 game "tryout" situation.

Especially when WE ALREADY OWN HIM.

Who knows what a fourth rd pick can get you near the deadline? Didn't the Jacket's just get Fedorov with the equivalent of a fourth pick? :lol:

The waiver draft rule was if the player is traded back to the former team within the following year, he is inelible to play that season (happen to McCammond and Calgary).

In the past, when players were on waivers, its because the team didn't want him/his salary any longer. Now, it serves as a punishment if you send down an "nhl-salaried" player.

If a team wants to make a side deal to ensure a player isn't picked, whether its a player or a pick or future considerations, its that team's option. I don't see it any differently than during the expansion drafts, and there are many side deals, "we'll give you this player if you choose (or don't) choose this player specifcally".

And if a 4th is too high...and a team picks Hainsey up and he develops this season, while we are still paying half his salary...when the next GM does such a side deal everyone will be criticizing Gainey for not seeing such a loophole..if one exists.

Gotta be create in this new NHL, on and off the ice.

P.S

if anyone has a reliable link for a copy or an extended look at the new cba, please share.

That's an interesting idea. I never knew that the waiver picking starts with the last place team.

The problem is that Souray is coming back soon so we'd only have Hainsey for a couple of days. I guess you mean for us to send down Streit and use Hainsey as our 7th defenceman for the rest of the season. Could work.:eyes::eyes:

I'm not opposed to Hainsey getting the call. Tell him that it's his last chance, and that if he doesn't show something, then he'll rot in the AHL for the rest of his career.

I likewise don't think he'll play any worse than Streit has been lately.

Originally posted by Tony

If Hainsey gets called up and goes through waivers again the Habs have to pay half of his salary to the team who claimed him since it's his second time on waivers ... well I think that's it.

Yeah, that's how it works....but if Gainey sets up a deal with St. Louis, the first team elible to claim him, in that they get a pick to claim Hainsey and send him back to MTL, then that clause doesn't apply since Hainsey will still be with the team.

Just what we need, an attitude problem in the dressing room. El perfecto. Thanks but no thanks. Mr. I'm-Too-Good-Too-Improve-In-The-Minors can sit and rot down there as far as I'm concerned. It's jerks like him that made me want to run from the game and never look back before the new CBA, and it's jerks like him who'll kill my enjoyment of it now. If he's so frikkin good, then why didn't ONE of the other 29 teams claim him in the waiver draft for the gosh darn wonderful price of FREE.

Terry Ryan the 2nd, I say. Overrated; especially in his own mind.

So in the new NHL they want salaries low and want more excitment in the game espically with young players. However you get punished if you run a successful organzation. Habs are getting punished thanks to these stupid rules. Why should we have to lose someone like Hainsey?

He'll get claimed. Columbus? Pittsburgh? One of them.

He'll probably get claimed. A team would only have to pay about $275000 for him. Montreal would have to pay the rest of his salary. He would be a good pick up as a depth D. Not that he is ready for the NHL, but he is fairly young still. The rest of his salary would apply to Montreals cap. We could be in trouble if we can't find someone.

if Hainsey gets claimed by Team X and then he is eventually sent down to the minors by Team X and then is claimed on his way back up by Team Y, does Team X now need to pay $137,500 of his salary?

also - note - hainsey would really only going to cost a claiming team $206,000 since the season is a quarter done.

[Edited on 11/29/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

He'll get claimed. Columbus? Pittsburgh? One of them.

I doubt Columbus will take him. Andy Delmore is already sitting in the minors for the Jackets. They've currently got Foote, Berard, Suchy, Westcott, Hulse, Tollefson, and Johnson on the NHL squad, with Klesla on IR. Also down in Syracuse they have Andy Delmore. Hainsey might make the team over Tollefsen, but that's it. And if they already have Delmore, why would they take on Hainsey, another offensive D-man who isn't really NHL worthy?

As for Pittsburgh, I don't think Hainsey is better than Brooks Orpik, who just became the team's 7th D-man when Tarnstrom returned to the lineup.