March 2 Sens @ Habs 7:00

I love that open ice hit by Romanov.  Clean, hard hit, takes out the player and is an inspiring play.   

6 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Makes me think Ducharme may be another in a string of dinosaur coaches....very concerning.  Too early?  You've only got 36 games left.

Well he did switch the lines up.  He put Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher together.  Last week I saw a clip on TSN saying that and couldn't figure out wtf they were talking aboot.  🤣

Its like none of them have any idea what the problems are.  The Forwards are generally too close to the net, and each other. 

ex:  earlier the 1 Habs had the puck by the boards in the Sens end and the other Habs was wide open but 10 feet away.  i.e. they were both inside the same faceoff circle.  Even if either of them had shot the puck and the net the goalie would not have to move to make either save. 

The Habs only seem to make the other teams goalie do east west movements when they are on the rush.  i.e. when they are in the other teams end and a goalie is hugging 1 side of the net theres no Habs on the other side of the ice to shoot at the open side of the net. 

16 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well he did switch the lines up.  He put Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher together.  Last week I saw a clip on TSN saying that and couldn't figure out wtf they were talking aboot.  🤣

Its like none of them have any idea what the problems are.  The Forwards are generally too close to the net, and each other. 

ex:  earlier the 1 Habs had the puck by the boards in the Sens end and the other Habs was wide open but 10 feet away.  i.e. they were both inside the same faceoff circle.  Even if either of them had shot the puck and the net the goalie would not have to move to make either save. 

The Habs only seem to make the other teams goalie do east west movements when they are on the rush.  i.e. when they are in the other teams end and a goalie is hugging 1 side of the net theres no Habs on the other side of the ice to shoot at the open side of the net. 

You also can't go in and change everything all at once.  They're trying to implement some system tweaks which is challenging enough with minimal practice time.  Asking them to do that and adapt to new linemates at the same time is asking for trouble.  The changes are going to be gradual.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

From that first period, I do not see any proof that Kotkaniemi deserves to play more than Danault 

ZERO

Same here.  Kotkaniemi skated himself out of a good scoring area before trying a shot and his general energy still wavers too much shift to shift.  Danault looked more dangerous offensively in that period compared to Kotkaniemi (which doesn't say a lot) but you also know you're going to get a consistent defensive performance each time he's out there.  Consistency matters to coaches and that's typically what leads to more ice time, not some offensive flashes here and there mixed in with a whole lot of nothing.  I understand the desire for some to have Danault play less since he isn't scoring but most of the year, Kotkaniemi hasn't been particularly dangerous offensively either and it's not as if he's had defence-first players on his wing all year either (like he does tonight).

Nice save by Price on Tkachuk.  Unfortunately Price directly put it on Tkachuk's stick to begin that play.  😞 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You also can't go in and change everything all at once.  They're trying to implement some system tweaks which is challenging enough with minimal practice time.  Asking them to do that and adapt to new linemates at the same time is asking for trouble.  The changes are going to be gradual.

Same here.  Kotkaniemi skated himself out of a good scoring area before trying a shot and his general energy still wavers too much shift to shift.  Danault looked more dangerous offensively in that period compared to Kotkaniemi (which doesn't say a lot) but you also know you're going to get a consistent defensive performance each time he's out there.  Consistency matters to coaches and that's typically what leads to more ice time, not some offensive flashes here and there mixed in with a whole lot of nothing.  I understand the desire for some to have Danault play less since he isn't scoring but most of the year, Kotkaniemi hasn't been particularly dangerous offensively either and it's not as if he's had defence-first players on his wing all year either (like he does tonight).

There is certainly truth here. KK is not ripping it up either but he does look dangerous at times. 

All I know is this team has had trouble scoring for a while. So why not try this simple swap?

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We look really good with lots of chances. 

This game looks much like the last game against the jets

Most shots are going dead center...easy saves for Joey whatshisface.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I agree and understand.  I thought it was funny that TSN was playing up the coaching change and talking about the new coach was already making line changes.  Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher isnt a new line.  It's like TSN analysys hasnt seen  a Habs game in 3 years. 

I'm sorta concerned that DD might not be any different than CJ, who wasnt much different than JM or MT.   

Kotkaniemi looked much better on the pp.

Once he translates that into his 5v5 game, I would be ok in swing him get more playing time.

The kid has talent 

• Like 1