Stéphane Waite fired

alfredoh2009

18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Waite was fired during the second intermission which is... yeesh, I dunno. That feels really unprofessional. 

Things have been a bit too noisy with how the Habs are run since the slump started. 

The logic MB expressed was that it allowed him to clear out his stuff before the team returned to the locker room, and that at that point Waite was no longer actively involved with the team/game in any way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I side note, I was interested in the vehemence of MB's claim that he will never consult with a player or players before making a decision. He seemed to frame such consultation as a fire-able offence for a GM.

Now maybe he is just saying that so as to build a secure wall of confidentiality around his discussions with players. E.g., if Price expressed discomfort with Waite to Ducharme (or MB) and that informed this decision, you don't ever want to say that. It would be tantamount to throwing both Waite and Price under the bus. So you shut down the entire line of inquiry by saying that you never consult your players on hockey decisions.

But personally, I don't know why you would avoid such consultation as a GM. This isn't 1950 where GMs rule with an iron fist.

Took it that he meant it in terms of seeking approval for a coaching chnage from a player(s) or allowing a player(s) to make the decision.

I think MB is tightening the leeway players had to put their lack of success on coaches

the n’est in-line may be the trainer if their cardio is not what it should be and if their iron level is low due to port diet

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Watched it but apparently he didn't even know about the firing when he met with the media last night. 

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Waite was fired during the second intermission which is... yeesh, I dunno. That feels really unprofessional. 

Things have been a bit too noisy with how the Habs are run since the slump started. 

Anyone else immediately think back to the Mike Cammalleri trade when this note came out?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The logic MB expressed was that it allowed him to clear out his stuff before the team returned to the locker room, and that at that point Waite was no longer actively involved with the team/game in any way.

Still classless AF. 

There's a big difference with the Cammy firing, though, which is that goalie coaches have no further role in a game past the second period.

I don't know if it's "classless" or not, TBH. Having decided to show him the door, is it better to do so in the evening or the morning? That seems to be what it comes down to.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Reminds i

me of the Cammy trade.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He couldn’t do it after the game? Before the game? The next day?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He couldn’t do it after the game? Before the game? The next day?

I was just sharing what he said ... not defending it

He mentioned that before the game would be a distraction

After he game would make sense to me ... I would have asked to see him after he undoubtedly met with Price after the game and done the deed while the players cleared out ... so I suspect (with no basis but gut) that something else happened to expedite the process

The next day could be awkward if Waite is in the building ... and I am not a fan of doing this sort of thing over the phone (or Zoom) 

I have never personally seen the problem with the timing of the Cammy trade. 

deals get finalized when they get finalized. I’m sure sometimes it happens during dinner, sometimes mid-practice, sometimes during a flight, sometimes over night, and so why not during a game. 

If a GM calls up MB during a game and says - we have a deal. Then there is a deal. Then what? Let Cammy keep playing, risk injury, and nix the deal? No - I pull him too. 

I actually think Waite’s timing is more questionable - like take your stuff and vanish. More like a dishonorable discharge. 

player trades are commodity trades and you need to pull the trigger while the asset is at its greatest value. An injured asset is no asset at all. 

coach firings can be managed and timed with more flexibility and concern for the person and relationships. 

47 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I have never personally seen the problem with the timing of the Cammy trade. 

deals get finalized when they get finalized. I’m sure sometimes it happens during dinner, sometimes mid-practice, sometimes during a flight, sometimes over night, and so why not during a game. 

If a GM calls up MB during a game and says - we have a deal. Then there is a deal. Then what? Let Cammy keep playing, risk injury, and nix the deal? No - I pull him too. 

I actually think Waite’s timing is more questionable - like take your stuff and vanish. More like a dishonorable discharge. 

player trades are commodity trades and you need to pull the trigger while the asset is at its greatest value. An injured asset is no asset at all. 

coach firings can be managed and timed with more flexibility and concern for the person and relationships. 

Bourque was surely a “can’t miss” opportunity! 

I agree with the gist, though. 

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

Happens all the time in business, people get walked out (and I don't think that was the case with Waite). You just don't want to have the distraction and negative discussions from the leaving employee talking to everyone else.

Based on these stories by Marc Denis:

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/cafe-bull-durham-et-une-locution-latine-1.10850857

and Arpon asu:

https://athletique.com/2426197/2021/03/03/filling-in-the-gaps-of-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevins-refreshing-honesty-about-carey-price/

It seems to me that MB's timing of the firing of Waite shows that he is protecting the team assets more than protecting himself. By waiting a couple of games after the by-week to see if CJ and KM could turn it around and firing Waite after he had helped Price prepare for the game and talked to him after teh second intermission but before the game was done.

Preparing to move on from Waite without jeopardizing too much the preparation of the game against the sens. And not allowing for a teary drawn dramatic "separation" between Price and Waite after the game or the next day. MB has put all the weight of the coaching changes on his shoulders and protected his players in the process.

And I believe that he is all in with th ebelieve that he still has this season and maybe next to win a cup with this team before the Habs having to go into a new ear built around Primeau-Romanov-Norlinder-Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen-Caufield

You know what I'm guessing really happened here? MB fired the coaches, and one ingredient in that decision was the possibility that Price had quit on CJ, just as he quit on Therrien in 2016. But when Price let in that crappy goal against the Sens, MB concluded that Price's problems went deeper than that. So he pulled the trigger on Waite.

On this hypothesis, the only thing that saved Waite from the initial purge was the possibility that Price was playing to get his head coach fired. The crummy goal pulled the plug on that hypothesis and MB acted: a decision which was simultaneously an "impulse" call in being sparked by one goal in one game, but also a product of a deeper thought process around the Habs' woes in 2021.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You know what I'm guessing really happened here? MB fired the coaches, and one ingredient in that decision was the possibility that Price had quit on CJ, just as he quit on Therrien in 2016. But when Price let in that crappy goal against the Sens, MB concluded that Price's problems went deeper than that. So he pulled the trigger on Waite.

On this hypothesis, the only thing that saved Waite from the initial purge was the possibility that Price was playing to get his head coach fired. The crummy goal pulled the plug on that hypothesis and MB acted: a decision which was simultaneously an "impulse" call in being sparked by one goal in one game, but also a product of a deeper thought process around the Habs' woes in 2021.

Despite the media pundits and some posters, I think MB is more of a methodical calculated person than an emotional impulsive one.

He also seems to take to heart certain decisions (Alzner, CJ/KM, Byron, etc)

But you may be right :spamafote:

A plausible rumour from a marginal source (Hockey30) is that Bergevin found out that Waite had initial contact with another team about next season ... his contract ran through this season ... *** if true *** I would think more likely his agent did the talking ... but either way, it could explain an unorthodox firing

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A plausible rumour from a marginal source (Hockey30) is that Bergevin found out that Waite had initial contact with another team about next season ... his contract ran through this season ... *** if true *** I would think more likely his agent did the talking ... but either way, it could explain an unorthodox firing

I doubt it, the Habs have allowed their personnel to talk to other teams whenever asked

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt it, the Habs have allowed their personnel to talk to other teams whenever asked

Think the inplication was the talk was without permission

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Despite the media pundits and some posters, I think MB is more of a methodical calculated person than an emotional impulsive one.

He also seems to take to heart certain decisions (Alzner, CJ/KM, Byron, etc)

But you may be right :spamafote:

I agree ... whether I support with any particular calculation I do believe he plans the moves out carefully ... which is not to say that there are no emotional/personal considerations that may initiate the calculations

I also agree he is very sensitive to certain situations ... IMO Alzner is the perfect example ... Habs are taking a $3.958333 million cap hit instead of the $2.425 million that burying Alzner would have cost ... in an off-season that he must have already decided to spend aggressively MB threw away a little over $1.5 million because he felt it was the right thing to do.