I have lost all faith in Bob Gainey...

Dave from Vancouver

Originally posted by Dave from Vancouver

[

Also, it was well-documented that Laperriere had desires to join the Habs, and passion is so important in this game.

Dave

yeah well... he's a quebecer so of course he WANNA come and play here... but playing in montreal is MORE than simply playing ur games... montreal fans r very tough and not every one can afford the pressure... so even if a player is dong well with another team, it doesn't mean that he will perform with montreal

Gainey also made a swap of draft choices with the Rangers in the 2005 draft so He could draft Guilliame Lantendresse(spelling). Everyone seems to love the way this guy plays. If Guy pans out to be a superstar everyone will love Gainey. Yes the team is going through a rough time right now, but I am sure Gainey will do something to improve our Habs.

People, give your heads a shake. While things have not been going particularly well for the past couple of weeks there is no need to start throwing blame around. Gainey has done a fantastic job.

Here is part of a post I made during the preseason in a thread about Gainey's performance.

Originally posted by Peter Puck

Bob Gainey became GM on June 3, 2003. Here is the Habs roster in their final game before Gainey became GM (a 5-4 win over the Rangers).

Habs Roster Saturday April 5, 2003

=====================

Audette

Bouillon *

Brisebois

Bulis *

Dackell

Dwyer

Garon

Hossa *

Koivu *

Komisarek *

McKay

Perreault

Quintal

Ribeiro *

Rivet *

Sundstrom *

Theodore *

Traverse

Ward

Zednik *

* = still with the team at the beginning of this season.

Gainey has been our GM for 17 months including 10 months during which he couldn't make any changes to the nhl roster. Looking back to the state of the team in the pre-Gainey era makes it crystal clear what a good job he has done and is doing.

There are of course some problems and he has made some mistakes but we can't expect perfection.

Gainey knows the holes we have in our roster. It is not like ordering a pizza. You can't pick up the phone and complain about the bad pizza you just ordered.

Bonk gets little power play time.

Bonk is on a line with Bulis and Sundstrom. There is little to no offensive ability in either of them.

Bonk was excellent as a defensive center. Untill the habs's meat grinder fans jumped on him.

I'm curious about what you think of Ribiero? Does his smaller salary make it easier to accept his poor performance?

Ribs is our second line center and he is getting killed out there. He is like a balloon being blown around by the opposition.

Gainey will fix this. :/)

Sorry to Dave from Vancouver but in all honesty, what is your level headed, sober solution for replacing Bob Gainey? Name me 1 GM or former who can relieve Gainey.

Now here's the clincher. Any of our detractors or opponents like Leaf fans would march down to the local pub and order a huge draft and smoke a cigar if we fired Bob.

You'd think Garon has won three Vezina trophies or something. He's the back up to Jacon Labarerra in LA. So all these monday morning quarterbacks who say "Gainey never should have traded Garon for Bonk and Huet" were the ones who loved the move at the time. Anybody who knows a thing about hockey knows Radek Bonk is a quality, PROVEN top-6 NHL forward. He's been a consistant 20-goal, 50-pointish man for a number of years now. ANYBODY would have made that trade at the time. Once Bonk finally scores, it'll boast his confidence.

I am sure if Gainey had kept Garon, all these "habs fans" would be screaming at him to trade him right now. So Gainey can't win. He makes trades he gets critized. He doesn't he gets crtizied.

As for Ian Lapierrere, I love how people assume everything. Maybe he DIDN'T want to play in Montreal. Alot of players say they want to play in certain cities but money talks and bullshlt walks.

Dave, I thought of replying with all sorts of uncomplimentary remarks when I read the title of your post. BUT, everyone is entititled to their opinion

What I will say is this:

1. Give your head a shake( sorry, I couldn't resist).:)

2. It is way too early for that kind of criticism. Gainey has put his stamp on the team, but it is early days in this process.

3. The D is improving. Markov is excellent, Rivet solid; Bullion solid; Komi improving; Dandenault, his fine defensive play and versatility make him invaluable; Souray ??? but I think he will turn it around. Streit is struggling. Maybe Gainey should have kept Hainsey, but he obviously didnt base his decision on the waiver rules but on his and CJ's evaluation of the players performance in camp. Perhaps that was a mistake. But, I like the idea of talent as the first determiner.

4. Nobody's perfect. The team is infinitely better than when BG took over.

5. I, for one, am confident that BG will make a deal to bolster the d when the right deal comes around and/or he determines that the present group has progressed as far as they are going to go

6. Keep the faith buddy. Every team has highs and lows. Les Boys will come out of this losing streak soon

:ghg:

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by PMAC]

Originally posted by Dave from Vancouver

Colorado also picked up Turgeon, another Montreal native, for only 1.5 million, and he's kicked in 25 points! I think he could have helped that second line...

We're talking about Pierre Turgeon, correct? The same guy who bolted from Montreal first chance he could get. He was in such a hurry to get out of town he had his belongings shipped to his new home in St. Louis. He couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the Canadiens. If he weren't wearing the C, that might of made a difference, but he played on a pretty damn good team at the time, but he just couldn't handle it.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Anybody who knows a thing about hockey knows Radek Bonk is a quality, PROVEN top-6 NHL forward. He's been a consistant 20-goal, 50-pointish man for a number of years now. ANYBODY would have made that trade at the time. Once Bonk finally scores, it'll boast his confidence.

He WAS a quality top-6 forward. He's done nothing offensively, and has had his share of mental cramps defensively. I have to say that I have zero faith that he'll start producing. Guys who are set to break out are usually working hard, hitting posts, etc. Bonk is doing none of that.

I have to admit, I had no real problem with the trade at the time - it did look reasonable. And since this thread is about Gainey, that's the bottom line. No hindsight allowed.

In bonks defence he only play 16 min a game against the Top line most nights, he is much more used to 19-22 min a game and although this does not seem like much it makes a huge difference. I think he needs to be put with one offensive player rather than bulis and sunny who are all Swedish and no Finnish. Although bulis is a Czech it is still a good pun.