What would your Team Canada look like?

jetsniper

The final rosters are due within the next 3 weeks (I think the deadline for final rosters is the 22nd, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so it's getting pretty close. Based on performances and everything, who would you name to Team Canada?

Official list is http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8747&hubname=

Mine would be...

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Iginla

Smyth-Draper-Doan

Madden-Peca-Sullivan

Redden-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Luongo

Brodeur

Theodore

I doubt thats what it'll look like though considering Lemiuex and Yzerman both have guaranteed spots (I'm hoping they pull out). I think Bertuzzi will get on there somewhere too, I just don't think he deserves the spot. And my 4th line is terrible, I'm sure theres a better center out there to use then Peca. Crosby and Staal also deserve spots on the team, I'm just not sure where to stick them.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Sad that Nash is hurt.  He is due to return mid-December, so he will have very little time to prove that he is well enough to make the team.  He certainly deserves to be on the team when healthy.

Oh yeah, definitely. If he had of played just about every game so far I'm almost certain he would've been a lock. I really only see 4 locks for the team right now anyway. Spezza, Redden, Heatley and Gagne.

A bit out there, but these would be my picks.

Richards - Lecavalier - Iginla

Gange - Thornton - Bertuzzi

Smyth - Spezza - Heatley

Crosby - Staal - Kariya

(St. Louis - Lemieux - Murray)

Jovanovski - Foote

McCabe - Redden

Scott Niedermayer - Blake

(Phaneuf - Boyle)

Brodeur

Luongo

Joseph

Originally posted by jetsniper

The final rosters are due within the next 3 weeks (I think the deadline for final rosters is the 22nd, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so it's getting pretty close. Based on performances and everything, who would you name to Team Canada?

Official list is http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8747&hubname=

Mine would be...

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Iginla

Smyth-Draper-Doan

Madden-Peca-Sullivan

Redden-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Luongo

Brodeur

Theodore

I doubt thats what it'll look like though considering Lemiuex and Yzerman both have guaranteed spots (I'm hoping they pull out). I think Bertuzzi will get on there somewhere too, I just don't think he deserves the spot. And my 4th line is terrible, I'm sure theres a better center out there to use then Peca. Crosby and Staal also deserve spots on the team, I'm just not sure where to stick them.

I don't agree with a lot of this.

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla

Richards-Lecavalier-Heatley

Smyth-Draper-St Louis

Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi

Scratches: Nash, Staal, Spezza, Crosby (Yzerman, Lemieux)

Niedermayer-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Redden

Scratches: Regher

Brodeur

Luongo

Theodore

There's so many players that it's very hard to choose from. Peca is a great player but Canada can put together any kind of team. If they want TW forwards then they'd take Doan, Maltby, Draper, Peca, etc. But I doubt they'd pass on guys like Bertuzzi, Thornton, etc. Spezza's spot isn't guaranteed. I'm not sure if McCabe will make the second pairing but he'll definitely be there.

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Just saw the Foote was placed on the IR so that might have some effect on his position. I'm seeing a lot of Sakic's but honestly, if we're getting the current Sakic then I don't want him anywhere near this team.

And BTH, I'm curious as to why you don't think Spezza is a lock for the team. The only thing is he has left to do is paint Gretz's fence and fix Quinn's plumbing. :P

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by jetsniper]

Just saw the Foote was placed on the IR so that might have some effect on his position. I'm seeing a lot of Sakic's but honestly, if we're getting the current Sakic then I don't want him anywhere near this team.

And BTH, I'm curious as to why you don't think Spezza is a lock for the team. The only thing is he has left to do is paint Gretz's fence and fix Quinn's plumbing. :P

I hope your plumbing comment isn't what I'm thinking about...BAD IMAGES!:D

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

I hope your plumbing comment isn't what I'm thinking about...BAD IMAGES!:D

:lol:..Get your mind out of the gutter, you know what I mean!

And it figures with Sakic. I criticize him so he goes and gets the winner tonight on one hell of a snapshot.

Originally posted by option+

If Gretzky really was favouring his team, he WOULDN'T take Cujo to Turin, he's let him sit next to a pool in Phoenix and rest for three weeks.

just keep in mind that team canada is gretzky's country club

but, hey it worked in the pass, it will work again

gagné-thornton-iginla

smyth-spezza-hatley

doan-richards-lecavalier

crosby-lemieux-draper

jovo-redden

mccabe-blake

neidermeyer-pronger

scartches:marleau-nash-tanguay-boumeester-philips

If Gretzky really was favouring his team, he WOULDN'T take Cujo to Turin, he's let him sit next to a pool in Phoenix and rest for three weeks.

That's bull.

Phoenix isn't going anywhere. Gretzky just wants to make Cujo happy so he'll re-sign. alla Quinn in 02.

Doan will be on the team ahead of a kid like Crosby, despite the fact Crosby has twice as many goals.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

That's bull.

Phoenix isn't going anywhere. Gretzky just wants to make Cujo happy so he'll re-sign. alla Quinn in 02.

Come on. Every NHL coach and executive would prefer their players to NOT play in the Olympics in case they get over-tired or injured. Phoenix is one point out of a playoff spot right now, in large part because Cujo is playing out of his 38 year old skin. Assuming they stay in the playoff hunt, how is it best for Pheonix if Cujo goes to Turin instead of resting for 3 weeks? It's not.

Why Spezza isn't a lock for the team?

Because Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards and Heatley are all better than him or atleast higher up on the depth charts since Thornton hasn't been playing as well as he could. Then there's Sakic who I think will be kind of like Yzerman and Lemieux. He pretty much has the choice of going. It's respect to honour a great player who might never play in another Olympic Games. And he is still a great player. And Spezza is young so if it came between Sakic and Spezza as their last choice they'd choose Sakic because it's his last chance and Spezza will make many other National teams. Same for Crosby and Staal.

I just remembered Nash. Canada should enter Team 1 and Team 2. Team 2 would be bale to compete. That's the sad reality. I'll be disappointed if Canada gets anything less than gold in Turin. But it's not all about winning, eh?

I doubt Yzerman will go. Stevie Y is a class act, he won't go to Turin unless he feels like he can contribute. I'm fairly sure that he'll take himself out of the reckoning.

I can also see Lemieux giving up his spot - but striking a deal that Crosby goes in his place. He's even hinted in the press that he'd give up his spot if it gave Crosby a better chance of making the team.

I have a feeling that Crosby, the most important young Canadian player in 20 years, will end up on the team one way or another. Not sure if he'd deserve it considering other players performances, but he certainly wouldn't be out of place.

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by option+]

Crosby is better than Lemieux but is he better than the others on the waiting list.

Spezza (he should make it on)

Staal

Nash

Peca

Smyth (matter of opinion - he can make it)

etc

etc

etc

There are some great players who won't make the team and it's obvious that Crosby doesn't deserve to be on it. His only chance would be 3 or so guys withdrawing or injured apart from Steveie Y and Super Mario.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Crosby is better than Lemieux but is he better than the others on the waiting list.

Staal

Nash

Peca

etc

etc

etc

There are some great players who won't make the team and it's obvious that Crosby doesn't deserve to be on it. His only chance would be 3 or so guys withdrawing or injured apart from Steveie Y and Super Mario.

How can you say a guy like Crosby doesn't deserve to be there. He certainly deserves to be there but is there room, that's the question. It's a tough job to pick this team and one I don't envy but be rest assured that it will be a great team and there always will be questions about why certain players aren't there.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by olematelot]

Originally posted by olematelot
Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Staal

Nash

Peca

etc

etc

etc

How can you say a guy like Crosby doesn't deserve to be there. He certainly deserves to be there but is there room, that's the question. It's a tough job to pick this team and one I don't envy but be rest assured that it will be a great team and there always will be questions about why certain players aren't there.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by olematelot]

Yeah, that's what I meant. He's good enough to make a national team but this year's olympic team is beyond his current abilities. There's too much talent and not enough roster spots.

No way Peca get's on. He's struggling.

Smyth is a great Canadian. He always shows up and it will be hard to keep him off. However, I am tired of Gretzky's attitude that only vets get on. Crosby, Staal and Spezza all deserve to be on. Plain and simple. No one can tell me they can't. They went with the hot hands in SLC and look at what happened?

'Leafs Suck', I'm wondering where this hate-on for Gretzky is coming from? Seriously?! Sometimes, as a couple previous Olympcs would show, it's not about assembling a team of the 'best' or 'hottest' players... having all the talent in the world does not make a 'great' team.

Since Gretzky was given the reins Canada won Gold in 2002 and Silver at the last World Championships even with lots of key guys who weren't playing because of injury. Ya know, I'm going to give the greatest player in the world the benefit of the doubt on this one. He knows what it takes to win. And if Gretz wants Sakic OR ANYONE else for that matter, over Spezza, Staal and Crosby?? Awesome, do it. Whatever team we have we're never going to hurt for offence but it's about winning ... And while those three might rack up some hardware over the upcoming years, how many Stanley Cups, Hart, Art Ross, Selke, Maurice Richard, Lester B. Pearson trophies do they have between them? Yes, I realize Crosby is a rookie... But leadership and experience are more important than fire power (which again, we won't lack anyway!)

Certain players get picked because they know how to win and DEAL WITH PRESSURE of huge games, which when you play for Canada Internationally must be overwhelming. Sure, Staal, Spezza and Crosby are talented, God knows they're all incredible players ... and sure it would be nice to see them suit up for Canada ... but seriously, the last time I checked we didn't have an over the hill team!! Gagne, Heatley, Iginla, Thornton, Richards, Lecavalier, Doan, Smyth (not to say they're all locks) ... not one of them is pushing 30!!!

You're also assuming that Gretzky isn't just showing respect (a word you should learn 'Leafs Suck') to great players and letting them back out on their own, like Yzerman is expected to do. PLUS, Staal, Crosby AND Spezza were short-listed, so it's not like they aren't being considered!!!!

Anyway, the final roster hasn't been made yet so we'll see how "Gretzky's attitude" effects the final decision. So 'Leafs Suck' get your head out of your ass and show some respect for the guy who assembled the team that brought us Gold in 2002. I imagine you weren't crying like a 4 year old with a skinned knee then.

Wow... just... wow...

None of you have named last season's Hart, Art-Ross and Stanley Cup winner to Team Canada?

You know... little dynamo named Martin St-Louis?! I'd take him over Doan or Smyth or Draper any day.