What would your Team Canada look like?

jetsniper

And another thing.... I don't see how you can make an argument like taking the players with 'the hot hand' and then dismiss Joseph. He IS in the top 3 for Save% and top 5 for gaa. AND, if we WERE to take players solely on their first 27 games of this season, Joseph would surely deserve to go to Turin over Theodore. I'm not saying I want Joseph there either, but c'mon, it's not about who has more goals than who, who has more points, whose save percentage is better...

In fact, if were going completely on stats this season, or 'the hot hand' our three goaltenders would be Legace, Fernandez and Joseph... *shudder*

But do you think anyone else is going to be between the pipes besides Brodeur or Luongo?

Is that just because Gretz is an idiot? DOESN'T HE SEE THAT CURRENT STATS MEAN EVERYTHING??!?!? Doesn't Legace deserve to start? Damn that self-centered egotistical bastard!

And hey, Jason Williams and Jason Arnott have more points than Iginla! But Iginla will probably only get on because Gretzky likes him though. Typical. And why is no one vehemently arguing for Marc Savard? Through points alone, what puts Staal and Crosby ahead of him on the depth chart?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Habinator

'Leafs Suck', I'm wondering where this hate-on for Gretzky is coming from?  Seriously?!  Sometimes, as a couple previous Olympcs would show, it's not about assembling a team of the 'best' or 'hottest' players... having all the talent in the world does not make a 'great' team.

Since Gretzky was given the reins Canada won Gold in 2002 and Silver at the last World Championships even with lots of key guys who weren't playing because of injury.  Ya know, I'm going to give the greatest player in the world the benefit of the doubt on this one.  He knows what it takes to win.  And if Gretz wants Sakic  OR ANYONE else for that matter, over Spezza, Staal and Crosby??  Awesome, do it.  Whatever team we have we're never going to hurt for offence but it's about winning ... And while those three might rack up some hardware over the upcoming years, how many Stanley Cups, Hart, Art Ross, Selke, Maurice Richard, Lester B. Pearson trophies do they have between them?  Yes, I realize Crosby is a rookie... But leadership and experience are more important than fire power (which again, we won't lack anyway!)  

Certain players get picked because they know how to win and DEAL WITH PRESSURE of huge games, which when you play for Canada Internationally must be overwhelming.  Sure, Staal, Spezza and Crosby are talented, God knows they're all incredible players ... and sure it would be nice to see them suit up for Canada ... but seriously, the last time I checked we didn't have an over the hill team!!  Gagne, Heatley, Iginla, Thornton, Richards, Lecavalier, Doan, Smyth (not to say they're all locks) ... not one of them is pushing 30!!!  

You're also assuming that Gretzky isn't just showing respect (a word you should learn 'Leafs Suck') to great players and letting them back out on their own, like Yzerman is expected to do.  PLUS, Staal, Crosby AND Spezza were short-listed, so it's not like they aren't being considered!!!!

Anyway, the final roster hasn't been made yet so we'll see how "Gretzky's attitude" effects the final decision.  So 'Leafs Suck' get your head out of your ass and show some respect for the guy who assembled the team that brought us Gold in 2002.  I imagine you weren't crying like a 4 year old with a skinned knee then.

:clap:Great post, couldn't agree more:clap:

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by olematelot
Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Crosby is better than Lemieux but is he better than the others on the waiting list.

Spezza (he should make it on)

Staal

Nash

Peca

Smyth (matter of opinion - he can make it)

etc

etc

etc

There are some great players who won't make the team and it's obvious that Crosby doesn't deserve to be on it. His only chance would be 3 or so guys withdrawing or injured apart from Steveie Y and Super Mario.

How can you say a guy like Crosby doesn't deserve to be there. He certainly deserves to be there but is there room, that's the question. It's a tough job to pick this team and one I don't envy but be rest assured that it will be a great team and there always will be questions about why certain players aren't there.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by olematelot]

Yeah, that's what I meant. He's good enough to make a national team but this year's olympic team is beyond his current abilities. There's too much talent and not enough roster spots.

He has the ability but lacks the experience that Gretz likes to have

a word you should learn 'Leafs Suck'

Sorry, didn't mean to upset the Gretzky-love fest fanclub here. I gotta start asking around on what my opinion should be because apprently on this message board I need to have clerence from certain people in order to have an opinion.

[Edited on 2005/12/2 by Leafs Suck]

Leafs Suck, It's not about 'love-fest' for Gretzky or asking clearance for opinion. But if you're going to constantly bash someone with an unheralded record for winning be prepared to stand behind it with SOME sort of evidence or well-reasoned argument! I mean if you plain and simple just don't like the guy, fine, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. But it would be great if you could share with us your reasons so maybe I could understand your concerns a little better. Because right now all I've got to go on is a bunch of blanket statements like he 'has attitude' he's got a huge ego and most shockingly, doesn't want 'what's best for Canada' without many (if any) details to back it up. You can't expect some of us who have an abundance of information to the contrary to not at least question you about it or at least raise the issues for healthy debate... you're allowed to have an opinion, but if you're going to raise it in a public forum you should be prepared to discuss it, right? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just curious if there's something I've missed?

... but hey, that's just my opinion.

As for Team Canada. Just a question to throw out. What's everyones thoughts about a 4th line shut-down line? We've had one every other tournament I think, ala Draper, Maltby, Morrow, Doan, Pecca. Do we need one for this Olympics? I only raise that because we seem to have a lot of players with the versatility to score, but play defence, like Richards', Gagne, Smyth and St.Louis/Doan .. whoever. So is it necessary? I don't know. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Doan hadn't played for Canada before yet Gretzky put him on the World Cup team. How odd since "Gretz likes experience".

Doan played in the World Championships before he played in the World Cup, plus he's a 10 year vetern. Is that enough exoerience for ya.

[Edited on 2005/12/2 by olematelot]

Originally posted by olematelot

Doan hadn't played for Canada before yet Gretzky put him on the World Cup team. How odd since "Gretz likes experience".

I do believe Doan played in the World Championships before he played in the World Cup

Yep, I think he captained one of the teams too. I know for a fact he was on the 03 and 05 team and I'm pretty sure he was on the 04 team. He also happened to get the game winner for Canada against Finland in the World Cup but I'm sure that was just a fluke anyway.

[Edited on 2005/12/2 by jetsniper]

Originally posted by Habinator

Leafs Suck, It's not about 'love-fest' for Gretzky or asking clearance for opinion. But if you're going to constantly bash someone with an unheralded record for winning be prepared to stand behind it with SOME sort of evidence or well-reasoned argument! I mean if you plain and simple just don't like the guy, fine, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. But it would be great if you could share with us your reasons so maybe I could understand your concerns a little better. Because right now all I've got to go on is a bunch of blanket statements like he 'has attitude' he's got a huge ego and most shockingly, doesn't want 'what's best for Canada' without many (if any) details to back it up. You can't expect some of us who have an abundance of information to the contrary to not at least question you about it or at least raise the issues for healthy debate... you're allowed to have an opinion, but if you're going to raise it in a public forum you should be prepared to discuss it, right? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just curious if there's something I've missed?

I don't like him and never have. It seems his fanclub here has a problem with that.

And I have stated SEVERAL times evidence that Gretzky is more concerned with his own self-worth than the countries.

So if you wanna discuss it and stop telling me to get some respect I'd be happy to. Bring it on.

Show me any of my points about Gretzky and I'll back it up. C'mon, bring it on.

At the risk of being called disrespectful, I agree 100% with LS.

Its all about waynEgo and the sheep, er, media is too willing to ALWAYS give him the positive side.

gretzky may have some goal scoring records. WhoTF? cares, he's still a disgusting shill for himself. Always has been, always will be.

From his fake 2002 'rant' to his tail between the legs exit in MTL in 1993, waynEgo has always put himself above the players, the game and worse our beloved country. He makes sick. In my eyes he is not what represents Canadian hockey, no matter what the sycophantic media sells.

Most of you in here know that I loathe to the point of rage the vile leaf. waynEgo is a really close 2nd.

As for the 2002 team, a chimp could've picked and coached them to a gold medal. Actually, a chimp would never have started or chosen egojo.

:can:

Originally posted by ~moeman

At the risk of being called disrespectful, I agree 100% with LS.

Its all about waynEgo and the sheep, er, media is too willing to ALWAYS give him the positive side.

gretzky may have some goal scoring records. WhoTF? cares, he's still a disgusting shill for himself. Always has been, always will be.

From his fake 2002 'rant' to his tail between the legs exit in MTL in 1993, waynEgo has always put himself above the players, the game and worse our beloved country. He makes sick. In my eyes he is not what represents Canadian hockey, no matter what the sycophantic media sells.

Most of you in here know that I loathe to the point of rage the vile leaf. waynEgo is a really close 2nd.

As for the 2002 team, a chimp could've picked and coached them to a gold medal. Actually, a chimp would never have started or chosen egojo.

:can:

I was about to say, we probably would have won no matter who we had in the lineup. And yet Gretz is hailed as a hero for constructing such an unbelievable team. Give me a break...

You can take every player Gretz chooses for Team Canada and remove them from the tournament. Then build a new Team Canada from who's left and still have a contending team. I don't like Gretzky much either.

The only thing waynEgo ever did that I appreciate is put out the leaf in 1993. Come to think of it I thank Kerry Fraser even more. I think the 93 Habs would've buried the leaf in 4. Canada would've rejoiced and you'd never hear of referendums ever again. Unless of course the CotU wanted to separate.

Another 'great' example of waynEgo's 'great' egoism is when he shafted Patrick Roy as a #1 golaie pick for the 02 Olympics. waynEgo had the nerve to say he had pre-selected sure picks for O & D (see chimp note above) but he couldn't do the same for the G spot. Why not? Simple. waynEgo hates Patrick Roy. wayneEgo's media flock then decided to prop up the 'great' one's sick decision by labelling Roy a traitor! Does it get sicker than that?

NB - Roy is now back in Canada, he has bought a Canadian Jr. team, he is coaching a bunch of Canadian kids, he has spent his hard earned money on Canadian hockey, he is still influencing the game in Canada! You think the media would report that? Nope, gotta focus on the 'great' coaching job being done in Phoenix, USA.

In my opinion, you guys are perfectly free to dislike Gretzky to your hearts' content. You're certainly not the only ones. Peter Pocklington has been saying much the same thing for years.

Wayne Gretzky does always get the benefit of the doubt, it's true. I can't deny that. But national heroes tend to get that, doesn't matter what country you're talking about: it's not an unusual phenomenon. Your feelings for Gretzky aside, you must admit that he qualifies as a national hero for 99% of the people in this country.

You can argue that he shouldn't have gotten the chance to pick Team Canada to begin with. Fine. But so far he's 2 for 2. Forget Gretzky for a while... it's hard for the media to question the judgement of ANY management team that has a 100% efficiency in picking gold medalists so far! And come on, it's not that easy to pick a gold medalist, even in Canada. Bob Clarke is hardly a "chimp", but he couldn't even pick a medallist in 1998.

I guarantee you, however, that if Gretzky, Lowe and Tambellini bungle the Turin selections and we get anything other than gold, then they will be held accountable. Ultimately, hockey is more important in this country than Wayne Gretzky is.

Originally posted by ~moeman

I'm part of the 1% but I'd wager it is much, much higher than that. Considering the kid glove treatment waynEgo gets it could/should/would be much higher. In my books he is not a hero, not even close. I barely consider him Canadian.

(I don't actually think it's 1% I just wanted to use 99% in a post about Gretzky. Yes, I'm very lame) :ghg:

I was about to say, we probably would have won no matter who we had in the lineup. And yet Gretz is hailed as a hero for constructing such an unbelievable team. Give me a break...

Yep. If Canada does not win in 2006, Gretzky will get a free ride from the 99-shrill media. No one will question the fact he named Quinn as coach or why Crosby and Spezza where left off. That is a huge problem I have with him. And that crap where he didn't get fined yet Murray does proves the league is so love-struck by him they allow him to break any rule he wants.

Yep. If Canada does not win in 2006, Gretzky will get a free ride from the 99-shrill media. No one will question the fact he named Quinn as coach or why Crosby and Spezza where left off. That is a huge problem I have with him. And that crap where he didn't get fined yet Murray does proves the league is so love-struck by him they allow him to break any rule he wants.

See, I disagree. If guys like Doan get picked ahead of Crosby, Staal, Spezza or anybody else with significantly better numbers, and Canada loses, Gretzky will hear it. Canada has never dealt well with losing hockey tournaments... doesn't matter who's picking the team. Didn't we have an inquiry into the state of the game after '98? I doubt Gretzky gets a free pass if we don't win.