What would your Team Canada look like?

jetsniper

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Who in the Canadian media is gonna call Gretzky out?? No one, they all love'em.

Love = bringing back the gold. Like I said, Canadians don't deal well with losing international hockey tournaments. Remember what happened after '96 and '98 and after the slow start in '02? If we don't win gold, everybody is going to be questioned: coaches, players, management. That's the way it's always been. Management will get it especially if there are "controversial" team selections. Gretz probably wouldn't take as much criticism as say, Bob Clarke (I'll give you that), but if they lost he'd get his too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"brining back the gold????. That's a crock of shit. In typical Gretzky fanclub action, they give him all the credit and none of it goes to the players. He put an All-Star team together and won. How come GM's who put together the All-Star teams for the All-Star game do not get all the credit? Why not, they selected all-stars and left off other all-stars.

If Canada doesn't win in 2006, Gretzky will not get any sort of flack from the pro-99 media. They'll fall all over him with another movie about his dog or goldfish or something.

As for 96 and 98. Let's rewind.

1996. Lemieux injuried, Bourque refused to play, Roy refused to play, Francis hurt, MacInnis hurt, Kariya hurt. Even with all those problems they came very close, and if the goal judges hadn't been seeing things threw red-white-blue on Hull's illegal goal, Canada would have won. Not to mention Richter stood on his head.

1998. Most of the anti-Hockey Canada Canadians forget that this was a great team. Kariya would have added alot to the team but was injuried, on purpose, by Gary Suter in one of the biggest cheap shots in history. The team dominated there first four games, and put Kariya and Sakic (who was injuried in the game against the Czechs) in that game against Hasek and Canada would walk away with a Gold. NO DOUBT.

In 2002, Canada won because of guys like Lemieux and Yzerman stepping up in the locker room and showing true leadership. Gretzky whining to the world was an embarrassment. It didn't motivate anyone, despite what the "Gretzky fanclub" will say.

And if you wanna talk about "controversial" picks, lets talk about Joe Thornton being left off the 02 team inplace of nutcase Theoren Fleury who just happened to be a good friend of Waynego. More proof he cares more about his own self-worth and friends then the country.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by Leafs Suck]

:can:

People wanted facts to back up our distatste for waynEgo. Well, there you have it. There's more and this thread is as appropriate as any to shed some light.

I could 'rant' and suggest that my Canada doesn't include waynEgo. I will never go that far. No need to. Ya see, unlike waynEgo, who purposely slagged Patrick Roy off the 02 team and let the 99razzi bury Roy's nationality as treasonous, I won't suggest as much. We all know who the traitors in our country are and no, waynEgo isn't one of them. He may be a soothered suck who has the 99razzi change his diapers for him but he is not an anti-Canadianite.

At the risk of having the separatiste sympathizers in here wipe my comments, I won't mention who are the real anti-Canadians.

Edit: Excessive smilies make pages load extremely slow for our dialup members.

[Edited on 12-8-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Strummerman

My team:

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley  

Richards-Thornton-Iginla  

Kariya- Sakic- Staal

St Louis-Lecavlier-Crosby  

Redden-Blake

Pronger-Phaneuf  

Jovonovski- Mccabe

Brodeur  

Turco

Belfour

Similar to my team. Noticable holes are Luongo missing the team, Heatley over Iginla (could work - who knows?), and checking lines that don't check. Oh ya, and I doubt all 4 kids will make the team if any.

Originally posted by option+
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

"brining back the gold????. That's a crock of shit. In typical Gretzky fanclub action, they give him all the credit and none of it goes to the players. He put an All-Star team together and won. How come GM's who put together the All-Star teams for the All-Star game do not get all the credit? Why not, they selected all-stars and left off other all-stars.

If Canada doesn't win in 2006, Gretzky will not get any sort of flack from the pro-99 media. They'll fall all over him with another movie about his dog or goldfish or something.  

As for 96 and 98. Let's rewind.

1996. Lemieux injuried, Bourque refused to play, Roy refused to play, Francis hurt, MacInnis hurt, Kariya hurt. Even with all those problems they came very close, and if the goal judges hadn't been seeing things threw red-white-blue on Hull's illegal goal, Canada would have won. Not to mention Richter stood on his head.

1998. Most of the anti-Hockey Canada Canadians forget that this was a great team. Kariya would have added alot to the team but was injuried, on purpose, by Gary Suter in one of the biggest cheap shots in history. The team dominated there first four games, and put Kariya and Sakic (who was injuried in the game against the Czechs) in that game against Hasek and Canada would walk away with a Gold. NO DOUBT.  

In 2002, Canada won because of guys like Lemieux and Yzerman stepping up in the locker room and showing true leadership. Gretzky whining to the world was an embarrassment. It didn't motivate anyone, despite what the "Gretzky fanclub" will say.

And if you wanna talk about "controversial" picks, lets talk about Joe Thornton being left off the 02 team inplace of nutcase Theoren Fleury who just happened to be a good friend of Waynego. More proof he cares more about his own self-worth and friends then the country.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by Leafs Suck]

My goodness, you act like I'm arguing that Gretzky is a demi-god or something. I'm only arguing that he's not a complete degenerate, which seems to be your argument.

To say that Gretzky got all the credit and "none of it goes to the players" is a complete distortion of the truth. Not saying that Gretzky didn't get his fair share of the credit (or even got too much credit - I'll even give you that), but you act like the players were completely ignored after that win.

Not saying that '96 and '98 weren't good teams. All I'm saying is that failure to win led directly to the management team getting flak in the press. I have no reason to believe this year will be any different.

I also seem to remember a lot of people in the press questioning why Thornton was left off of the 2002 team.

I still maintain that Gretzky will get some criticism if the team fails to win gold. If I'm wrong, I promise I'll be on this message board to pay you homage.

[Edited on 2005/12/8 by option+]

[Edited on 2005/12/8 by option+]

Hommage takes 2 'm's. Its based on the word 'homme' which means 'man' en Francais, something LS is and waynEgo isn't. No sooner were the gold medals handed out to the players did waynEgo rush to be the centre of attention at centre ice. Completely unCanadian, unOlympian and totally gretzkyish. I, for one, wasn't surprised that even in the players greatest moment of athletic achievement would waynEgo supplant their accomplishment with his egotistical behaviour.

Edit: Excessive smilies make pages load extremely slow for our dialup members.

[Edited on 12-8-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

My team:

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley  

Richards-Thornton-Iginla  

Kariya- Sakic- Staal

Redden-Blake

Pronger-Phaneuf  

Jovonovski- Mccabe

Brodeur  

Turco

Belfour

Similar to my team. Noticable holes are Luongo missing the team, Heatley over Iginla (could work - who knows?), and checking lines that don't check. Oh ya, and I doubt all 4 kids will make the team if any.

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Iginla

Smyth-Draper-Doan

Madden-Peca-Sullivan

Redden-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Luongo

Brodeur

Theodore

This is your team- Madden dont think so Sullivan is not a checker- I would probably have Smyth as an extra and Doan- I forgot S Niedermeyer he will be on the team- Thornton will be on the team especially now that mario has heart problem- Kariya is having a comeback year if it is not him then it will be Tanguay- Foote is injured I think and a little long on the tooth. Luongo as a shoe-in at beginning of year-He has been playing himself off team

[Edited on 2005/12/8 by Strummerman]

My team:

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley  

Richards-Thornton-Iginla  

Kariya- Sakic- Staal

Redden-Blake

Pronger-Phaneuf  

Jovonovski- Mccabe

Brodeur  

Turco

Belfour

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Smyth-Draper-Doan

Madden-Peca-Sullivan

Redden-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Luongo

Brodeur

Theodore

This is your team- Madden dont think so Sullivan is not a checker- I would probably have Smyth as an extra and Doan- I forgot S Niedermeyer he will be on the team- Thornton will be on the team especially now that mario has heart problem- Kariya is having a comeback year if it is not him then it will be Tanguay- Foote is injured I think and a little long on the tooth. Luongo as a shoe-in at beginning of year-He has been playing himself off team

Err, thats my team. And apparently we disagree on many points but thats something totally different. This is BTH's team

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla

Richards-Lecavalier-Heatley

Smyth-Draper-St Louis

Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi

Scratches: Nash, Staal, Spezza, Crosby (Yzerman, Lemieux)

Niedermayer-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Redden

Scratches: Regher

Brodeur

Luongo

Theodore

Originally posted by ~moeman

wayneEgo's media flock then decided to prop up the 'great' one's sick decision by labelling Roy a traitor!

Um, can someone fill me in on how either Gretzky or Roy can be considered traitors? I just don't get it.

NB - Roy is now back in Canada, he has bought a Canadian Jr. team, he is coaching a bunch of Canadian kids, he has spent his hard earned money on Canadian hockey, he is still influencing the game in Canada! You think the media would report that? Nope, gotta focus on the 'great' coaching job being done in Phoenix, USA.

Well, a lot more people care about the NHL thant juniors, so of course it gets more play in the press. Anyways, I never see anything about either one's job.

Originally posted by jetsniper

My team:

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley  

Richards-Thornton-Iginla  

Kariya- Sakic- Staal

Redden-Blake

Pronger-Phaneuf  

Jovonovski- Mccabe

Brodeur  

Turco

Belfour

Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Smyth-Draper-Doan

Madden-Peca-Sullivan

Redden-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Luongo

Brodeur

Theodore

Err, thats my team. And apparently we disagree on many points but thats something totally different. This is BTH's team

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla

Richards-Lecavalier-Heatley

Smyth-Draper-St Louis

Kariya-Thornton-Bertuzzi

Scratches: Nash, Staal, Spezza, Crosby (Yzerman, Lemieux)

Niedermayer-Foote

McCabe-Blake

Jovonovski-Pronger

Redden

Scratches: Regher

Brodeur

Luongo

Theodore

ok im confused as to who is what but the last team posted Bertuzzi is not having a great year and neither is Foote but you may be right as to who Gretz selects but I prefer my team since it will be more exciting- your team looks a lot like the team that lost at world championships.

To say that Gretzky got all the credit and "none of it goes to the players" is a complete distortion of the truth. Not saying that Gretzky didn't get his fair share of the credit (or even got too much credit - I'll even give you that), but you act like the players were completely ignored after that win.

Listen to the media talk. They give him all the credit. And believe me he wants all the credit. Notice during the World Cup celebrations he had the nerve to sit in the front of the team photo on the ice? What is that? Pure ego trip. Atleast Quinn and the coaches had enough brainpower to step to the back and let the players have there time in the spotlight. Nope, Gretzky had to stick his bird nose in the middle of the action.

Not saying that '96 and '98 weren't good teams. All I'm saying is that failure to win led directly to the management team getting flak in the press. I have no reason to believe this year will be any different.

1998 did deserve some for not have Niedermayer or Messier there, but that was still an unbelieveable team. Look at there first four games, they DOMINATED everyone.

I also seem to remember a lot of people in the press questioning why Thornton was left off of the 2002 team.

They were few and far between. I Have nothing against Fleury, I actually find his story quiet remarkable, but he was only on there cuz of Gretzky.

I still maintain that Gretzky will get some criticism if the team fails to win gold. If I'm wrong, I promise I'll be on this message board to pay you homage.

I disagree. The media has there head so far up his ass that they wouldn't dare call him out. It's a real shame.

Maybe what the NHL should start doing is making the Olympics like an under-25 tournament, similiar to what they do in soccer.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Fanpuck33

For anyone doubted Luongo's merits for the team, he solidified his spot last night by stopping 53 shots!

Yeah, he played amazing last night. Gretzky kind of messed up here but hindsight is 20/20. Manny Fernandez and Martin Biron should both be getting serious consideration for Team Canada. They've been Canada's 2 best goalies all year. Yet both of them failed to make an 81 player long list.

Originally posted by gohabsgo252006

Whatever the team is

I think Phaneuf should be on it. By far the best young defenceman in the league and he's already better than some of the guys we're going to take. Even if he doesn't play he should be there.

If Phaneuf makes it will he be the youngest player ever to play on a national team?

For anyone doubted Luongo's merits for the team, he solidified his spot last night by stopping 53 shots!

Yeah, he played amazing last night. Gretzky kind of messed up here but hindsight is 20/20. Manny Fernandez and Martin Biron should both be getting serious consideration for Team Canada. They've been Canada's 2 best goalies all year. Yet both of them failed to make an 81 player long list.

The 81 player list was made before they started shining.

Originally posted by olematelot

The 81 player list was made before they started shining.

But the reason why that list was so long was so that every player who had potential to shine was on it. Marc Chouinard was on it. Ryder was on it. They wanted their options open. Also, Fernandez was the in the top 3 in Save % and GAA in 03-04 and I believe the season before that too. That merits atleast general consideration which he should have gotten. Biron has never been great and his success has been a surprise but leaving Fernandez off was a real mistake, IMO.

Fernandez has always been in a dual role though which hurts his stock. Hell, this is the first year he's played more games then Rolson (and his W-L record is immensely better). If you go by previous years, Manny could be considered the backup in Minnesota. I don't think it was a mistake to leave him off, he hasn't shown he can take a team and run with it like Brodeur or Luongo (I shudder to think how much worse the Panthers would've been last season without Luongo)

it would have a change in coaching! 2 of the coahes outta there