Rumour: Ozolinsh for Souray - Team 990 MTL

Athlétique.Canadien

It's not that I don't want Euro's we just need more of a mix... I think.

There's nothing wrong with some of the Euro's we have, I'd Take Koivu over almost any Canadian.

But if Gainey is going to get a tough Euro I have no problem with it.

One thing we don't have and that I believe we need is a nutcase... Yes a nutcase.

Someone in the Darcy Tucker mold, to rally the trops when time... We have Begin, but I'd like another.

I'm no Tucker fan, but sometimes you see him with a real killer look in his eye, I'd love to have someone like that on the Habs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the steal of the century. Ozolinch has always been an All-Star and one of the top offensive defenceman in the league. Markov and Rivet are both playing great defensively and Bouillon is solid and a legit top 4. We have defensive d-men but no offensive ones. How much does Ozolinch cost anyway?

About teams full of Euros not performing well look at the Rangers (who now have a better record than us). They have stars like Jagr, Poti, Straka and Rucinsky who aren't tough at all. One tough Euro who I'd love to have (but most of you probably hate) is their captain, Darius Kasparaitis, one of the best checkers in the league.

It's usually the Russians who can be very tough but from other countries like Finland and Sweden they're usually softies. I don't think how tough you are is a HUGE aspect of the game though.

And Rivet can clear the net better than Souray.

Markov-Ozolinch

Bouillon-Rivet

Dandenault-Komisarek

Streit

Not bad.

Originally posted by JMMR

Ozolinsh makes 2.75 mill

And the rangers dont have a captain they have three A's no C's

In the offseason they made Kasparaitis their captain. I'm sure of that. Maybe they took it away form him already or he resigned but he definitely got the C.

And that isn't much more money than Souray makes. Nice.

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

30-Jan-03 Florida Panthers traded Sandis Ozolinsh and Lance Ward to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for Matt Cullen, Pavel Trnka and a 4th round selection (James Pemberton) in 2003.

16-Jan-02 Carolina Hurricanes traded Sandis Ozolinsh and Byron Ritchie to the Florida Panthers for Bret Hedican, Tomas Malec, Kevyn Adams and a conditional 2nd round selection in 2003.

24-Jun-00 Carolina Hurricanes traded Nolan Pratt, 1st round selection (Vaclav Nedorost) in 2000, 2nd round selection in 2000 (Jared Aulin) and Philadelphia's 2nd round selection in 2000 (previously acquired, Colorado selected Agris Saviels) to the Colorado Avalanche for Sandis Ozolinsh and Columbus's 2nd round selection in 2000 (previously acquired, Carolina selected Tomas Kurka).

-----------------------------------------------------

Ozo is traded basically every 2 seasons. We'd be his 4th team in 4 seasons. You know something's not quite right when a player changes adresses this often.

BTW, Ozolinsh's PPG average is decreasing alot in recent years. His best season was 96-97 in Colorado where he got 68 pts (0.85 PPG avg). It dropped into the 0.70's after, then into the 0.50's in the past 3-4 years. This season Ozo has just 4 pts in 14 games. That's less than Bouillon and just 1 more than Streit.

If Ozolinsh doesn't produce offensively, he's a liability. At least Souray brings some intensity & physical strenght to the team.

Souray >>> Ozolinsh.

between the recent waiver wires, the Fedorov trade, and the thornton trade, seems like the stove is heating up a bit... wouldnt be surprised to see a few more big trades or pick ups around the league over the next 1-2 weeks...

who knows, maybe the habs can get into the act. To win in this market it seems like the main qualification for a deal to grab a great player is to be willing to take on some salary... our hotstove prospects might have more to do with gillette than with gainey.

What about Kyle McLaren on the sharks? Do you think they want to take the chance losing two defenseman but might need to move salary? They did go up $1.6Million on their cap. I know Montreal is a young team, however I want to see someone clear the damn net in front of Theo before he gets injured.

Originally posted by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

McLaren eh? Better A) Ask Zednik how he feels or B) include him in the trade.

Why is it media and fans only think of past history.

Brad May aka designated VANCOUVER goon who put the bounty on Moore is doing quite nicely in Colorado. Zed is a big boy, he can take care of himself and do we all like who we work with?:) Plus last time I looked Zed is not the GM. Good point though as I forgot about the cheap shot.

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Howie_Morenz]

Why is everyone looking at ozolinsh? Are any of these rumours legit? I know there are many other defenseman out there id rather have but have you noticed, big, strong defenseman arent as useful as they use to be? I know about ozo's offense, but i heard he is just terrible defensively..like terrible......ive never been ahuge souray fan, but its amazing how quickly ppl sour on him, mind you if he left i wouldnt be terribly upset, as long as we got something for him

Right on Howie_Morenz. It would be nice if Gainey called Zed into the office and asked him how he felt about it and Zed was OK. I agree that McLaren would be an asset. As a matter of fact, for a long time now I've wanted McLaren on the Habs. However, realizing that the Zednik situation would make it difficult, I usually have been known to sigh.

In reference to Ozolinsh, it was mentioned on the Team 990 and is probably nonsense. I know I posted it but rumour or truth it was still relevant to Montreal. So I did.

BTW: My gut feeling says that Gainey is going to pull the trigger on something. 4th period reports he's closely waching the waiver wire. Maybe Huselius might garner some interest. If so, let's pray he was terrible because he needed a change.

Originally posted by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Right on Howie_Morenz. It would be nice if Gainey called Zed into the office and asked him how he felt about it and Zed was OK. I agree that McLaren would be an asset. As a matter of fact, for a long time now I've wanted McLaren on the Habs. However, realizing that the Zednik situation would make it difficult, I usually have been known to sigh.

In reference to Ozolinsh, it was mentioned on the Team 990 and is probably nonsense. I know I posted it but rumour or truth it was still relevant to Montreal. So I did.

BTW: My gut feeling says that Gainey is going to pull the trigger on something. 4th period reports he's closely waching the waiver wire. Maybe Huselius might garner some interest. If so, let's pray he was terrible because he needed a change.

hehehehe I had a gut feeling that Gainey was going to do something. Now I am never going to listen to my gut again as it LIES!

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

jackp welcome aboard.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tis the Christmas season and for some of us we like to wish...

Thanks... have been a member of the Habs mailing list for over 12 years, but have lately moved on to this group and the usenet group: alt.sports.hockey.nhl.mtl-canadiens. There certainly is more activity in these groups than the mailing list (which used to be busy 5 or 6 years ago).

As far as the potential trade is concerned... it would be a steal for us, but "it ain't gonna happen."

- Jack

Originally posted by jackp

jackp welcome aboard.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tis the Christmas season and for some of us we like to wish...

Thanks... have been a member of the Habs mailing list for over 12 years, but have lately moved on to this group and the usenet group: alt.sports.hockey.nhl.mtl-canadiens. There certainly is more activity in these groups than the mailing list (which used to be busy 5 or 6 years ago).

As far as the potential trade is concerned... it would be a steal for us, but "it ain't gonna happen."

- Jack

Hehe, I'm on the TSN mailing list and it's o annoying. I get daily emails about hockey scores and news articles so if I don't check my email for a while I have a mountain of emails. I delete them all and take a quick glance at the latest one.;)

with or without injuries we are in desperate need of defensive help or upgrading..

that still doesn't mean Gainey is going to go out and do something stupid.

It is those kind of desperate moves that make mike milbury the favorite GM (as voted on by his peers)

You can have a great up and coming team with solid prospects and decent veterans but if you dont have the patience to wait for thr right move then you will just throw it all away (spezza chara luongo and no yashin would make the islanders a pretty damn scary team right now..)

Ozolish might be ok but it is more likely that the new nhl has exposed holes in his game which are compounded by age.

If you need another example just see how gonchar is doing this year as compared to his usual league leading point total for defenseman.

I say stick with what weve got for christs sake. we are still an over 500 club..with young guys who are just starting to find themselves

What about Kyle McLaren on the sharks?  Do you think they want to take the chance losing two defenseman but might need to move salary?  They did go up $1.6Million on their cap.  I know Montreal is a young team, however I want to see someone clear the damn net in front of Theo before he gets injured.

I agree we could use more of a physical defenseman, but ..............

I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET WHAT HE DID TO ZEDNIK! I WAS READY TO BREAK MY TV!!!!!!!

i will kill myself if he were to ever come to montreal.