~ Thornton a Shark!!! ~

~moeman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Peter Puck

The Bruins have traded Thorton to San Jose for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau!!!

To me this smacks of panic in Boston. I think SJ won this trade.

Woah! Unexpected! I thought you were joking or something. HUGE trade.

I think Boston wins. They get a strong defenceman, a decent checker and a good forward. Is Sturm a center? If not their first line has deteriorated. If not then it's all good. It definitely hurts San Jose though. They traded their team for Joe Thornton.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

The Bruins have traded Thorton to San Jose for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau!!!

I think Boston wins. They get a strong defenceman, a decent checker and a good forward. Is Sturm a center? If not their first line has deteriorated. If not then it's all good. It definitely hurts San Jose though. They traded their team for Joe Thornton.

Yes Sturm is a center. He is okay, never really lived up to his promise. Stuart is a pretty good D-man abd Primeau is a career grinder (a pretty good banger). But ... there is no way this package is worth Thornton, one of the top centers in the league. I can't believe they couldn't get more. I don't believe Boston offered Thornton to many teams.

Originally posted by JMMR

Zhamnov will be number 1

Zhamnov, is I think, still injured.. Yeah, I forgot about Bergeron. Yep, Boston loses.

Yes Sturm is a center. He is okay, never really lived up to his promise. Stuart is a pretty good D-man abd Primeau is a career grinder (a pretty good banger). But ... there is no way this package is worth Thornton, one of the top centers in the league. I can't believe they couldn't get more. I don't believe Boston offered Thornton to many teams.

It was probably one of the first offers they got. But remember, the cap puts fair blockbusters to a minimum.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

good post ~moeman, they mentioned this on the Leaf game and actually it took over the talk instead of usual Leaf crap. By the way if anyone does not know, LEAFS LOSE TO TAMPA!

Boston was robbed on this deal as they have no centres now and traded the franchise.

They have Zhamnov (injured) and Bergeron. Yes, they traded the franchise though their overall team value might be a little better. If they got a new franchise player they would be a great team. But franchise players don't grow on trees. Pretty much, they gave up on the season.

The cap limits trading options, especially with top players like Thornton.

Its not that unexpected of a trade. Boston had problems re-signing Thornton and both camps were a bit at odds since then.

Boston probably thought they didnt had a chance to sign Thornton long-term and rather than losing him to free agency, they try to get as much as possible.

Sturm-Stuart-Primeau isnt that bad a deal. Stuart has a very high upside, just never reached it. Sturm is a decent top-line forward and Primeau a good banger.

Yay I like Tampa now.

I don't think Boston got "robbed", but they sure have written this season of.

Sturm: Top six winger. Excellent speed and puck handling skills. Smart player. 21, 28 and 21 goals over the last three seasons. He's a consistant player.

Stuart: Always liked him. Nice skater. Good puck moving defender. Will help there PP.

Primeau: Good depth player. Brings a solid all-around game.

Thronton is a top 3 centre, and a top 5 forward in the league, however as we know he has taken a few springs off.

It's a good move for both teams IMO. However, Boston has completly given up on this season. I think that's obvious.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

good post ~moeman, they mentioned this on the Leaf game and actually it took over the talk instead of usual Leaf crap. By the way if anyone does not know, LEAFS LOSE TO TAMPA!

Boston was robbed on this deal as they have no centres now and traded the franchise.

They have Zhamnov (injured) and Bergeron. Yes, they traded the franchise though their overall team value might be a little better. If they got a new franchise player they would be a great team. But franchise players don't grow on trees. Pretty much, they gave up on the season.

You are absolutely right. Boston acquired much depth because all three players are good players. But to lose JOE THORTON! All I have to say is Great Ceasars Ghost, What are they thinking?????

Originally posted by Quebecois

Shocking deal to say the least, to be honest i'm going to be kinda disappointed now that we won't get to see the Habs make Thronton our personal whipping boy 8 times a year anymore.

6 less times we have to see him this year. Interesting, his first game will be against the elfs on Saturday. How very interesting.

But you're right, this was shocking. When they said blockbuster I thought "Please be the Habs"... but I seriously wasn't expecting Thornton. Maybe he asked for a trade, I dunno.

The more I think about this the more I see Boston sinking. This trade doesn't even help Boston's cap situation all that much. Here are the cap numbers:

Sturm: 2 million/yr

Stuart: 1.9 million/yr

Primeau: 1.1 million/yr

------------------------

Total: 5 million/yr

Thorton: 6.66 million/yr

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Peter Puck]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck
Originally posted by Quebecois

Shocking deal to say the least, to be honest i'm going to be kinda disappointed now that we won't get to see the Habs make Thronton our personal whipping boy 8 times a year anymore.

6 less times we have to see him this year. Interesting, his first game will be against the elfs on Saturday. How very interesting.

But you're right, this was shocking. When they said blockbuster I thought "Please be the Habs"... but I seriously wasn't expecting Thornton. Maybe he asked for a trade, I dunno.

Me Too. I thought they were going to say the Habs because of the suspensions and injuries the Habs have right now. Not that I was wishing for this, just thinking about it...

He just signed a 3 year deal worth 20 mil.

He was not due to be a free agent for 3 years why deal him now.

He is a game breaker I dont care about cap room, this guy was their franchise.

One + is that this is great for the Habs, although Koivu always shut down Big Joe.

The more I think about this the more I see Boston sinking. Here are the cap numbers:

Sturm: 2 million/yr

Stuart: 1.9 million/yr

Primeau: 1.1 million/yr

------------------------

Total: 5 million/yr

This trade doesn't even help Boston's cap situation all that much.

Thorton: 6 million/yr

It is interesting that this trade will free up some cash for the B's. Man what are they doing trading Joe? I was kinda hoping Montreal was trying to get Stuart. Other posts on this board got me right interested in this guy.